Always Angry?

I think quite a few frequent poster to Cruise Critic seem to be more into internet message boards then cruising.

Would be nice if all the opinion type threads were a special area so folks who want to rant would have a place to go.

I'm with you brother. I think you nailed this thread.

What we all have in common here is cruising, and that is a small segment of the population. My MIL stated the other day that cruising was "awful" and why would anyone consider ever going on one as all they do is stop at dirty, poor countries. She was only on one cruise (RCI)in her life with my parents a good 30 years ago and it started out of PR.

In the last 20 years their "vacations" have consisited of my FIL"s Army reunion week ( at varoius Army installation in the US) and one week in Saratoga, NY for horse racing. How boring is that?

And she refused a free trip to Italy that all her children planned on buying them for their 50th anniversary. She did not want to leave the US and has no desire to explore anything... and she thinks we are going to kill ourselves ( well I am going to kill her beloved son) by doing all the daring things ( roller coaster and such) and going to "those foreign places where you can catch a nasty disease".

And the joke is she is not the fussy one , my FIL is. But my point is that we all seem to be people that enjoy an adventure, and therefore not the "norm".

Ok, I see that this thread has taken a dangerous turn towards footwear, and I am forced to take a nasty slash at those that wear crocs. There is a brand of shoes that are made in a far more foot friendly fashion and they look better and they support your feet. I own two pairs and they are the brand MION. I love them! Best flip flop/croc type shoe ever invented.

I decided to forego taking my MIONs with me on my last cruise so that we could travel the tube in London easily by having almost no luggage, and I then bought flip flops from the store on the Navigator. After wearing MIONs for a couple of years and growing up wearing flip flops. I can officially say I will never buy another pair of flip flops and during my Canadian invasion this weekend (I leave in 15 minutes) the MIONs are in the trunk!

jc

Ok, I see that this thread has taken a dangerous turn towards footwear, and I am forced to take a nasty slash at those that wear crocs. There is a brand of shoes that are made in a far more foot friendly fashion and they look better and they support your feet. I own two pairs and they are the brand MION. I love them! Best flip flop/croc type shoe ever invented.

I decided to forego taking my MIONs with me on my last cruise so that we could travel the tube in London easily by having almost no luggage, and I then bought flip flops from the store on the Navigator. After wearing MIONs for a couple of years and growing up wearing flip flops. I can officially say I will never buy another pair of flip flops and during my Canadian invasion this weekend (I leave in 15 minutes) the MIONs are in the trunk!

jc

I thought you were due to leave 45 minutes ago?

I agree about the crocks, bought them after my toe surgery, got rid of them in about a week. I do not own flip flops either, my podiatrist hates them and they hurt my toe.

I decided to forego taking my MIONs with me on my last cruise so that we could travel the tube in London easily by having almost no luggage, and I then bought flip flops from the store on the Navigator. After wearing MIONs for a couple of years and growing up wearing flip flops. I can officially say I will never buy another pair of flip flops and during my Canadian invasion this weekend (I leave in 15 minutes) the MIONs are in the trunk

jc

Uh...okay:confused: :confused:

Oh I forgot to add to my list of observations.....thread Hi-Jackers

I submit that a thread cannot be hi-jacked unless it wants to be hi-jacked. If people are interested in the original topic they will post on that topic - regardless of what zigs or zags the thread may have taken over the course of time......

In response to the OP's question on why some people sound so angry:

1) I agree with those that say that the internet allows a person to say things that they would never have the guts (or stupidity) to say to someone in person. Bullying is bullying wherever it occurs.

2) Some people just get their kicks being nasty.

3)Another point to be considered is that people forget that once (thousands of posts ago) they were also new to the board and sometimes respond in a way that makes a "newbie" feel shunned.

4) For some people it is simply a case of "lack of up-bringing".

Texasmunk, I was just checking on the Meet & Mingle for the 1/19 Jewel sailing and see that you are on it. DH and I are currently booked for this cruise as well. We just haven't joined the M&M thread because we were not sure we were going to be able to keep the booking.

Health of ailing parents has been a real issue this year and 12 nights is a long time to be gone should something happen to one of them.

Plus, a change in my work status has left me with no vacation time. I can take time off work, but I won't get paid - unless I am able to sign a contract in the next couple of months. So I have to add the loss of pay $$ to the total cost of the cruise. Sigh.....

Once we know for sure that we will keep the booking, I will head over to the thread. :)

Whoops, sorry about the hi-jack. :-D

Wow, this thread has actually held together very well. A good collection of eloquence and elegant debate. The usual flamers have not shown up at all. (Well one did, but only for one very weak post.)

Congrats on keeping a touchy subject civil, informative, lively and humorous. Nice going folks.:)

Would be nice if all the opinion type threads were a special area so folks who want to rant would have a place to go.

I made a suggestion about that a long time ago.....instead of the Floataway Lounge it would be called the Fightaway Lounge.:p :D

My intent is not to have this thread pulled, but it could be, very quickly...

Just a question:

Why are so many posters angry? They either hate RCI or they denegrate a question from a newbie, or they show distain or disgust at another point of view.

Can there be that many truly unhappy people who keep booking and rebooking RCI?

Enjoy life! We get to jump on a cruise ship and go on vacation!!!!!

My thoughts exactly, TM! I just got into it on another CC board today over just this exact same thing. I try (maybe don't always succeed when my "fiesty" gets goin') to follow Mom's rule: if you have got anything helpful or nice to say, then shut up!!!

Now, I'll have to read the other responses to your post. :D

I couldn't help myself, I had to look up Mions.

I think we all need to learn at least one new thing every day of our lives. Today I learned the word "ergomorphic", according to the online dictionary the meaning is a material or object that conforms into a shape.

They do look a bit nicer than Crocs ;)

I couldn't help myself, I had to look up Mions.

They do look a bit nicer than Crocs ;)

The basic sandals do, the ones that are very similar to crocs ( the cheapest ones) are a tad bit nicer than a croc, and I am sure not as clumsy to wear, but for some reason, I highly doubt I need any.:eek:

The basic sandals do, the ones that are very similar to crocs ( the cheapest ones) are a tad bit nicer than a croc, and I am sure not as clumsy to wear, but for some reason, I highly doubt I need any.:eek:

So you are thinking that walking a mile in jc's shoes is not necessarily something you want to try..... :D Smart girl.

I must read over stuff or it just doesn't register. I don't notice much meaness.:D I try to write as I speak, which is sometimes blunt. I am also rather blunt (but friendly) in person, as I have found that wishy-washy, fluffy statements do not convey the appropriate information or achieve the desired results at work or in writing.

It is so easy to misinterpret someone's post. Sarcasm and humor generally don't translate well. I usually don't get twisted over much of anything people write....and I haven't really seen many personal attacks on here for a long time. It is the looky-loo/accident thing with those though, and they're always fun to read. :D :D

Oh, I know exactly the type of people you're talking about. I think we've all experienced at least one of them (or, worse, had one as a mother-in-law :eek: ). One time years ago, my Mom and I were in Venice for the first time, and just loving it. There was this guy who we started calling "Mr. Ugly American" behind his back - he was staying at our hotel, and we kept encountering him, and I guess because we were all Americans he decided we were buds. But all he ever talked about was how horrible everything was, and how everyone was trying to rip us off, and everything is a scam...One time we did a little tour to a glass factory on Murano, and the whole time he kept whispering behind his hand to us everything that was wrong - the boat driver wasn't actually taking us to Murano, the glass factory didn't really make this glass, it was imported from Asia, it's all over-priced junk, it's all a rip-off. Later that night we ran into him out and about, and he stopped us to chat and launched into this long shpiel about the horrible dinner he had, and how bad the service in the restaurant was. The hotel was terrible, they were charging us twice as much as people from European countries, the staff were untrained and rude (not to ME they weren't - but they probably were to him!), yadda yadda. We got to the point where if we'd see him, we'd slip around the corner and run the other way! And then, bizarrely, as we were checking out in the lobby, he saw us and ran up to us to give us big hugs and tell us what a wonderful time he had with us! LOL!

I'm sure there's a whole psychology behind that type of person. I guess I'm just grateful that *I'M* not like that!

LeeAnne, People like that make my blood boil.:mad: They should just stay home. Happy Travels and let's not make these grouches bring us down.:)

P.S. I has anyone ever enjoyed their RCI cruises?

YUP!! Even the one that was rerouted due to Hurricane Wilma...even our not-so-great 1st half of a B2B on (dis)Enchantment.....[sorry-the 2nd leg was 1000% better!] there is no such thing as a BAD cruise!

some people are just angry anyway. some may have unrealistically high expectations of perfection...and some just like to be negative and stir up trouble.

i try to be objective....if we have a less-than-stellar cruise vacation, i try to present both good and bad sides...and when i am compelled to contact a corporate office, be it RCCL, Marriott, McDonalds or whatever, I always give the good first...(99.9% of the time there is SOMETHING good!) and then lay out the facts, with photos when needed, to point out where standards were NOT met.

[i worked for Marriott for 5 years as a manager....i know what a clean room is supposed to look like, and after 20 years in retail/customer service, i know how to take care of the customer!!] 90% of the time the manager of whatever it is appreciates the constructive criticism and opportunites to correct their shortcomings.....

so i expect free stuff-like a free cruise?? no. free meal if it's bad??? maybe. free room if it's dirty and things don't work?? again, depends on the whole situation-but my intention is to not get it FREE, just to get it fixed and, sure, i would love dessert on the house!:D

And ... as for the people who are outright nasty to others???? you can tell who the trolls are (i think), who really had a bad time and who is actually looking for guidance....

yes, be nice to each other.......don't feed the trolls...and let's learn from each other!!!;) :)

YUP!! Even the one that was rerouted due to Hurricane Wilma...even our not-so-great 1st half of a B2B on (dis)Enchantment.....[sorry-the 2nd leg was 1000% better!] there is no such thing as a BAD cruise!

some people are just angry anyway. some may have unrealistically high expectations of perfection...and some just like to be negative and stir up trouble.

i try to be objective....if we have a less-than-stellar cruise vacation, i try to present both good and bad sides...and when i am compelled to contact a corporate office, be it RCCL, Marriott, McDonalds or whatever, I always give the good first...(99.9% of the time there is SOMETHING good!) and then lay out the facts, with photos when needed, to point out where standards were NOT met.

[i worked for Marriott for 5 years as a manager....i know what a clean room is supposed to look like, and after 20 years in retail/customer service, i know how to take care of the customer!!] 90% of the time the manager of whatever it is appreciates the constructive criticism and opportunites to correct their shortcomings.....

so i expect free stuff-like a free cruise?? no. free meal if it's bad??? maybe. free room if it's dirty and things don't work?? again, depends on the whole situation-but my intention is to not get it FREE, just to get it fixed and, sure, i would love dessert on the house!:D

And ... as for the people who are outright nasty to others???? you can tell who the trolls are (i think), who really had a bad time and who is actually looking for guidance....

yes, be nice to each other.......don't feed the trolls...and let's learn from each other!!!;) :)

AMEN!! And well said. Enjoy your travels and make the best of it.

Archived