Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cubbiecruiser

Land's End Boat Trip in Cabo - Worth it?

We'll be sailing on the Vision of the Seas 9/7/08, and it'll be our first time to Cabo. I am looking for opinions as to whether the shore excursions involving boat trips to Los Arcos are worth the cost. I've heard that the Arches can be seen easily from the ship and from the tender pier...is that true? Even if you can see them, is it worth getting closer? The "adventurer" in me wants to... but I'm not so sure about those little boats/catamarans they use to take you there? They don't look all that great... If getting closer via boat is not all that special, I'd rather spend my time in town shopping, on the beach, and sipping a nice, cold Margarita! ;) Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I wouldn't book it through the cruiseline but it is nice to get close to the arch especially if it is your first time to Cabo. You can catch a water taxi right from the tender pier on your own. The usual price is $10/pp for about a half hour tour of the area. Then you could have the water taxi take you over to Medano beach which is where you will be doing for any beach time. You do have to get off and then back on the boat at the beach in a few feet of water.

If you don't want to do the boat tour, make sure that you are out on deck when the ship comes into Cabo. You will be able to see the arch/Land's end right from the ship.

Have a fun day in Cabo!:)

I would agree with househunter that it's worth the trip out to the arch to see it. The water taxi's are the easiest method. I've never had an issue with the seaworthiness of any of Cabo's boats/catamarans, etc. We are there every year for a week. You will also see some other rock formations + Lover's Beach, Divorce Beach (the other side) + the sea lion colony.

Remember, if you then take the water taxi over to Medano Beach, you will be exiting the boat in 1-3 ft of water. If it's from Dec-May, that waters going to be cold-cool (figure 60-65 degrees water temp).

We'll be sailing on the Vision of the Seas 9/7/08, and it'll be our first time to Cabo. I am looking for opinions as to whether the shore excursions involving boat trips to Los Arcos are worth the cost. I've heard that the Arches can be seen easily from the ship and from the tender pier...is that true? Even if you can see them, is it worth getting closer? The "adventurer" in me wants to... but I'm not so sure about those little boats/catamarans they use to take you there? They don't look all that great... If getting closer via boat is not all that special, I'd rather spend my time in town shopping, on the beach, and sipping a nice, cold Margarita! ;) Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

It's definitely worthwhile to boat out to Land's End. Not only are the rock formations awesome up close, but the lazy seals all over them are not visible from the ship, and they are worth seeing, too.

Additionally, when you boat out they will take you around the end to the other side. Very nice excursion.

Tee

Do you all reccomend getting off at lands end/lovers beach??

If so how does that work with water taxi??

I will be sailing on the Elation end of Sept :p I thought about taking

water taxi to lands end then over to Medano Beach for the day.. Not sure how

its done. We have never been to cabo before???

Also we want to hang out some where thats a little more laid

back any suggestions? We also want to rent jet skis!

Whats the water temp Sept??

Thanks ;)

Water temps are awesome in September! Sept and Oct are the warmest of the year in the 80's! You could have the first water taxi drop you off at Lover's Beach for awhile. There are no facilities there at all no restrooms, nothing. Maybe a local selling beer from a cooler. But it is very beautiful and you can walk a short distance to the Pacific side at Divorce Beach. That and a tour should cost $10/pp.

Then you could take a second water taxi to Medano beach where all the activites are. This should cost about $3/pp.

Then take a 3rd boat back to the tender pier, also about $3/pp.

Make sure you negociate all the fees before you step in the boats. Only pay for one way at a time as it has been reported that sometimes the boats don't come back if you have already paid them for round trip. There will be rows of water taxis at both Lover's and Medano beaches to take you where you want to go.

Thanks Househunter for the info!! ;)

Also at Medano beach we want to hang out some where thats a little more laid

back any suggestions? Dont really care for loud party seen.. Just

a coulpe of loung chairs, Good drinks and good food!!

You just have to avoid the bar's "Mango Deck" and "Billigans Island". They tend to have the wildest crowd. Also the area in front of the ME Hotel. Can't recommend "The Office" anymore. Quality, prices and service at this once favorite place have declined too much. Tobasco's, Baja Cantina (Medano Beach - not Marina) & The Sand Bar are all pretty good. Baja Cantina on the Marina is also good, it's just not on the beach like their other location.

Water temps are awesome in September! Sept and Oct are the warmest of the year in the 80's! You could have the first water taxi drop you off at Lover's Beach for awhile. There are no facilities there at all no restrooms, nothing. Maybe a local selling beer from a cooler. But it is very beautiful and you can walk a short distance to the Pacific side at Divorce Beach. That and a tour should cost $10/pp.

Then you could take a second water taxi to Medano beach where all the activites are. This should cost about $3/pp.

Then take a 3rd boat back to the tender pier, also about $3/pp.

Make sure you negociate all the fees before you step in the boats. Only pay for one way at a time as it has been reported that sometimes the boats don't come back if you have already paid them for round trip. There will be rows of water taxis at both Lover's and Medano beaches to take you where you want to go.

DIVORCE BEACH! :eek: I'd probably freak out the kids if I told them I'm taking them and their dad to Divorce Beach when we go in March!!

I agree with both Baja Cantina which is the first beach bar at Medano and Tabascos which is the last one in the row for a laid back experience. You will still be close enought to the action to rent a jet ski if you wish!:)

I wouldn't book it through the cruiseline but it is nice to get close to the arch especially if it is your first time to Cabo. You can catch a water taxi right from the tender pier on your own. The usual price is $10/pp for about a half hour tour of the area. Then you could have the water taxi take you over to Medano beach which is where you will be doing for any beach time. You do have to get off and then back on the boat at the beach in a few feet of water.

If you don't want to do the boat tour, make sure that you are out on deck when the ship comes into Cabo. You will be able to see the arch/Land's end right from the ship.

Have a fun day in Cabo!:)

....I agree with househunter.....best idea is to do it on your own.......the boat will probably be less crowded......and keep in mind that in Mexico.....you can barter......and get a better price for a group.....;)

Cabo Wabo is pretty much empty during the day. The outside area is open for lunch but the main bar doesn't start to get busy until about 10pm.

No problem, they are open. It's just fairly empty during the day. Pretty much just cruise ship passengers. The folks in the resorts/timeshares don't show up until the party begins after 9pm (typically). You can buy (over priced Cabo Wabo, though still normally lower than US prices), have lunch (just average), have a waborita (good, but pricey).

Can you get a t-shirt,etc from Cabo Wabo during the day?

Yes, they are open for lunch and the gift shop is open during the day!:) If you go, have a Waborita, they are yummy!

boat trip to land's end it's really nice,we took the boat out to the Arch and stop by the lover beach for 15mn ( we have the boat driver wait for us ) and got drop off at Medano beach $10/ person but we have group of 8.

This is a close up view from the glass bottom boat

attachment.php?attachmentid=89909&stc=1&d=1220399210

this is the other side of the arch, our boat was so close to the arch

attachment.php?attachmentid=89911&stc=1&d=1220399616

this is the boat

attachment.php?attachmentid=89913&stc=1&d=1220400348

view of Medano beach / mango deckattachment.php?attachmentid=89914&stc=1&d=1220400448

the lover beach

attachment.php?attachmentid=89915&stc=1&d=1220400778

view the land end from the ship

attachment.php?attachmentid=89923&stc=1&d=1220401526

have fun in cabo.

It is but it is a long walk all the way around the marina. I would say it is at least a 45 minute walk. Much easier to just grab a taxi!:)

....I agree with househunter.....best idea is to do it on your own.......the boat will probably be less crowded......and keep in mind that in Mexico.....you can barter......and get a better price for a group.....;)

We did it ourselves after walking around Cabo, we went at about 11 AM and talked the man into 80 pesos pp, there were five of us.

He took us out to Lands Ends ( all those seals were amazing) we boated around for about 1/2 hour more then went to Lover's beach for about another 1/2 hour. Very enjoyable boat ride :)

The 5 of us girls will take a tour with the water taxi,and then go to Medano Beach. Is around Medano beach where the best bars, shops, and overall best area of Cabo? Then we need to take a taxi back? How much should this taxi be? Can it take 5 of us?

The 5 of us girls will take a tour with the water taxi,and then go to Medano Beach. Is around Medano beach where the best bars, shops, and overall best area of Cabo? Then we need to take a taxi back? How much should this taxi be? Can it take 5 of us?

Medano beach is a typical tourist beach lined with resorts, restaurants and water sports. There is no shopping there except for the beach vendors. If you want to shop and go to fun bars, you will have to go into town. A regular taxi from Medano back to town should be $10 and a water taxi should be $3/pp.

Medano beach is a typical tourist beach lined with resorts, restaurants and water sports. There is no shopping there except for the beach vendors. If you want to shop and go to fun bars, you will have to go into town. A regular taxi from Medano back to town should be $10 and a water taxi should be $3/pp.

So is the only reason to go to Medano is for swimming?

Thanks for your helpful input.:)