Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cubbiecruiser

Land's End Boat Trip in Cabo - Worth it?

Do you all reccomend getting off at lands end/lovers beach??

If so how does that work with water taxi??

I will be sailing on the Elation end of Sept :p I thought about taking

water taxi to lands end then over to Medano Beach for the day.. Not sure how

its done. We have never been to cabo before???

Also we want to hang out some where thats a little more laid

back any suggestions? We also want to rent jet skis!

Whats the water temp Sept??

Thanks ;)

You will have to jump off the boat and swim onto shore. (That's the way it was done when I was there.) Very rough surf there. The beach area was not pleasant, lots of little bugs jumping all over us. We walked to the other "side" of the beach area but the surf was very rough and you really couldn't go into the water. I'd recommend a boat trip to see the arches but if you want to hang at the beach, don't do it there, just go back to Medano beach. Medano beach can be a little busy, depending upon the time of year. But you can simply walk further along the beach, away from the "swimming area" and the bars, and it's much quieter. Most of the rental equipment is around the swimming area of Medano Beach. (The swimming area is a roped off area for swimmers.)

Will the beaches be crowded in October - we leave in a little over a week - also, any ideas what it costs to rent a jet ski - what type of food can we expect at the resturants?

Thanks

October will be a little busy because the cruise season is just starting and there are alot of fishing tournements during that time but there is always plenty of room on Medano beach for everyone. There are about 10 restaurant/bars in a row along the beach. Baja Cantina is the first one and a little more laid back. Mango Deck and Billygans are the most rowdy with spring break type contests and loud music. We also like the Sand Bar and Tabascos which are further down- they are more quiet and have a larger swimming area in front of them.

You can grab a lounge chair and an umbrella at any of them as long as you are ordering food and drinks. You will find a huge range of items on the menus from Mexican to burgers and of course great seafood.

Have fun!

Will the beaches be crowded in October - we leave in a little over a week - also, any ideas what it costs to rent a jet ski - what type of food can we expect at the resturants?

Thanks

I'm just guessing here, but back in 2002, I believe the cost for a jet ski was @$45 per 30 min.

You will have to jump off the boat and swim onto shore. (That's the way it was done when I was there.) Very rough surf there. The beach area was not pleasant, lots of little bugs jumping all over us. We walked to the other "side" of the beach area but the surf was very rough and you really couldn't go into the water.

I'll second this about getting off at Lover's beach. I guess you might have to evaluate the wind/waves on the day you go because not everyone mentions it - so maybe it's not always that way. But it was the same for us - except no bugs. They dumped us off in about 4 feet of water ... maybe a little more - it was up to my arm pits. Quite a bit of surf. All this would've been ok, but I had stuff with me - my camera etc. I was ok getting off, but it was tough getting back in, and definitely not glamourous!

If we want to see the arch and the seals, but not necesarily swim (we'll be there in December) would you recommend a glass bottom boat or water taxi?

We were thinking of doing a tour that includes snorkeling, but 60-65 degree water is too cold for me...I'm a wimp....Hopefully the water in Mazatlan is warmer!

The water taxis are the glass bottom boats. But do not expect to see anything through that glass as it is scratched up and dirty.

But they are one and the same!:)

You would have them drop you at Lover's Beach and then catch another one to return you to the dock. With no tour that should be about $3/pp each way.

any recommendations for Cabo Wabo during the afternoon?

Last Nov we went to Cabo Wabo during the day and I kept thinking....what is all the hype about? They did have a band playing but the place was very empty.

Last Nov we went to Cabo Wabo during the day and I kept thinking....what is all the hype about? They did have a band playing but the place was very empty.

You were only in the small portion of the place that they have open during the day. There is a HUGE bar with a giant stage that opens at about 8pm and then the band, sometimes with Sammy himself starting at about 11pm.

Yes, it's fine. Millions of Americans vacation in Mexico every day. I will be there for 2 weeks next month and plan on eating and drinking!;)

Drinking bottled water is always recomended in Mexico. Even if the water is not "bad" it has different bacteria than the bacteria in your local water and can make you ill. Food in Cabo is very good and has never made us sick.

We spent some time on our last cruise looking through binoculars at people having a very difficult time getting back on the water taxis at Love beach.

We once took the whale watching Zodiac tour and got good views of the arch and the seal lions, although not a lot of whales. We plan on doing that tour again.

I just returned from Cabo, and I took a water taxi out to the Arch, lovers beach etc. I was out by myself...and was quoted 100 pesos; with an exchange rate of 12.5/1..that is less than $10 US, but they generally do a 10/1 conversion. For a small transaction, no biggie...but for larger ones, I'd pay in pesos if they didn't give a better conversion rate.

By the way, it was worth every peso...I had a private tour for more than an hour with a gentleman name Juan..from dock # 4.

TQ

boat trip to land's end it's really nice,we took the boat out to the Arch and stop by the lover beach for 15mn ( we have the boat driver wait for us ) and got drop off at Medano beach $10/ person but we have group of 8.

This is a close up view from the glass bottom boat

attachment.php?attachmentid=89909&stc=1&d=1220399210

this is the other side of the arch, our boat was so close to the arch

attachment.php?attachmentid=89911&stc=1&d=1220399616

this is the boat

attachment.php?attachmentid=89913&stc=1&d=1220400348

view of Medano beach / mango deckattachment.php?attachmentid=89914&stc=1&d=1220400448

the lover beach

attachment.php?attachmentid=89915&stc=1&d=1220400778

view the land end from the ship

attachment.php?attachmentid=89923&stc=1&d=1220401526

have fun in cabo.

Unable to see the pics you have posted here. We are going to Cabo in Feb and would really like to see your pics.

Can you email them to me @ angel4rick2000@yahoo.com

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Linda

We just got back from a MR cruise on Sapphire Princess. I had read this thread concerning what to do and booked a glassbottom boat tour with JT Watersports (http://www.jtwatersports.com/). For less than $25US ($9 each since we booked online, $2 gate toll to the dock and a tip), we were taken from the dock just outside the Market that is left of the tender dock, motored out to Land's End, took a thrilling ride through the surf to the Pacific side, was dropped off at Lover's Beach for about an hour and then taken back to the dock. We were the only two on the boat, so it was quite exclusive. The water was a bit rough, but warm enough. The breakers on the Pacific side were HUGE. And yeah, there were some bugs, but it wasn't too bad. All in all a great little excursion.