Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Ike

Wtnt34 Knhc 011443

Tcpat4

Bulletin

Tropical Depression Nine Advisory Number 1

Nws Tpc/national Hurricane Center Miami Fl Al092008

1100 Am Ast Mon Sep 01 2008

...new Tropical Depression Forms Half Way Between Africa And The

Leeward Islands...could Become A Tropical Storm Later Today...

At 1100 Am Ast...1500z...the Center Of The Newly Formed Tropical

Depression Nine Was Located Near Latitude 17.6 North...longitude

39.5 West Or About 1470 Miles...2365 Km...east Of The Leeward

Islands.

The Depression Is Moving Toward The West Near 16 Mph...26 Km/hr. A

General West To West-northwest Track Is Expected During The Next

Day Or Two.

Maximum Sustained Winds Are Near 35 Mph...55 Km/hr...with Higher

Gusts. The Depression Is Expected To Become A Tropical Storm Later

Today.

Estimated Minimum Central Pressure Is 1005 Mb...29.68 Inches.

Repeating The 1100 Am Ast Position...17.6 N...39.5 W. Movement

Toward...west Near 16 Mph. Maximum Sustained Winds...35 Mph.

Minimum Central Pressure...1005 Mb.

The Next Advisory Will Be Issued By The National Hurricane Center At

500 Pm Ast.

Well, we have another one!

Ike has just formed between US and Africa and is projected to be in the Bahamas on Monday....right when I am "projected" to be there!

So, to everyone with experience in Carnival and hurricanes, we leave out of Canaveral on Sunday, do you think it is possible to get around Florida before Ike comes....or do you thinking my cruise is going to Virginia?? :D

I knew Sept. cruising could be interesting....and it definitly will!

I guess as long as I am on my ship, the Carnival "Super Walmart" i should be happy!

I saw several storms forming out there. But, I think you'll make it out of PC before Ike makes it way to Central Florida. Who knows maybe you'll luck out and have a longer cruise. (If that happend I have a friend on the September 11th sailing who will not be happy!)

Well, we have another one!

Ike has just formed between US and Africa and is projected to be in the Bahamas on Monday....right when I am "projected" to be there!

So, to everyone with experience in Carnival and hurricanes, we leave out of Canaveral on Sunday, do you think it is possible to get around Florida before Ike comes....or do you thinking my cruise is going to Virginia?? :D

I knew Sept. cruising could be interesting....and it definitly will!

I guess as long as I am on my ship, the Carnival "Super Walmart" i should be happy!

It's still a depression as of 11:00AM today according to NOAA.... They predict it could become a tropical storm but too early to tell. They advise another update on this situation at 4:00PM.

Yes, I generally cruise in the September-early December window and have had some great "weather" adventures. Nothing serious, nothing more than minor inconveniences, a few port changes, an early departure once and late arrival twice...... That is balanced very well by lower prices and not many children onboard.......

144313W_sm.gif

Terry, I think you'll be changing the Title name to IKE in about 24 Hours or less :(

I think you are right on that. - I am right in the center path of Hanna -so I am keeping a sharp eye on everything in the Atlantic!

We are leaving from Tampa on the 21st and hope that everything out there plays pretty so we can get to Tampa (coming from Panama City, FL)

get out of Tampa and get down to the Carribean but if we are on the ship that's really all that counts. I do hope it doesn't rain too much so we can do some of the port, do some snorkeling, do some shopping and then get back on board and just relax. Hopefully there won't be too many kids on board. We will have a balcony this time so it should be a special cruise.

our December cruise is on the Glory with all kinds of kids being that it is Christmas time and the kids will be out of school.

IKE??? I am still worried about Hannah, I have no space in my mind for Ike lol

Then Josephine within 60 Hours. I would be concerned IKE more than Hanna at this time for your location in MIA.

lol, look at NHC website...looks like Josephine will be next!! That one is far away though!

I can not believe that there is yet another named storm out there due to be hurricane! Anybody else feel like we're back in 2004?!

All of these storms have got to be keeping the cruise lines on their toes. Where do you go if there are storms all over the place???

September 10th is the height of hurricane season and obviously this year it's living up to the hype. Hopefully season ends soon.

So is Ike supposed to follow the path of Hannah or go straight?

The historical models show all the storms turning North...which would follow Hanna

????

what a hectic week....keep the updates coming...:)

I am kind of wondering if the Mariner will make it back to Pt Canaveral next Sunday....Ike will be pretty close to their return route....

ah..STRESS :o ;)

I am kind of wondering if the Mariner will make it back to Pt Canaveral next Sunday....Ike will be pretty close to their return route....

ah..STRESS :o ;)

I know what you mean Minnie! OMG I can't stop watching the news, reading these boards, looking at hurricane predictor 'maps', etc. ... I think I'm going to go crazy!!!!

Hope to see you on board the Mariner on 9/7!!!!

Keep those fingers and toes crossed! :confused:

So is Ike supposed to follow the path of Hannah or go straight?

The historical models show all the storms turning North...which would follow Hanna

????

what a hectic week....keep the updates coming...:)

Historically, you are correct. We currently have a subtropical ridge that is north of Ike in the mid Atlantic which is building westward. Ike is Forecated to be a possible Cat 3 north of Haiti on Sat. Model Guidance is high on positioning (Location) for the next 96 Hours and ????? on intensity.

Again, conditions can change.

I can not believe that there is yet another named storm out there due to be hurricane! Anybody else feel like we're back in 2004?!

All of these storms have got to be keeping the cruise lines on their toes. Where do you go if there are storms all over the place???

September 10th is the height of hurricane season and obviously this year it's living up to the hype. Hopefully season ends soon.

Strong Moonson season for the next several weeks in Central Africa which means increased tropical wave action in the ITCZ. SST's are favorable along with conditions in the mid to upper level of the atmoshpere.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=835259

Terry, I think you'll be changing the Title name to IKE in about 24 Hours or less :(

Terry: Looking at the Latest Sat image along with other Components (Sea/Atmosphere) you"ll have to change the Name to Hurricane Ike by Tuesday ???