Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

Do you have any pesty little expressions people use that are chalk on a blackboard for you?

Like calling a ship a boat?

Or referring to Holland America Line as Holland?

Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line. I know...picky, picky etc but it always grabs me when I read that. :D

Any get to you?

I think calling HAL Holland is annoying also.

I overheard a discussion re "aft cabins", when they obviously meant "stern cabins".

Rarely do I see posts re cabins at the stern, but often about aft cabins, which may be anything to the rear of your relative position. Aft is a direction, not a location.

There is a certain cruise line, of course, whose ships are called 'love boats'...

Do you have any pesty little expressions people use that are chalk on a blackboard for you?

Like calling a ship a boat?

Or referring to Holland America Line as Holland?

Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line. I know...picky, picky etc but it always grabs me when I read that. :D

Any get to you?

I think calling HAL Holland is annoying also.

I overheard a discussion re "aft cabins", when they obviously meant "stern cabins".

Rarely do I see posts re cabins at the stern, but often about aft cabins, which may be anything to the rear of your relative position. Aft is a direction, not a location.

Learn something new every day. I thought aft meant the back. I rarely hear anyone using stern. Thanks for the info...and I'll try not to say aft anymore:o :D .

As one CD said, "You can put a boat on a ship but you can't put a ship on a boat." :)

FYI, the "Love Boat" was not created by Princess but by Hollywood, which, of course, rarely gets things right. Blame the title on Aaron Spelling, who created the series, not the cruiseline.

Err... Michael, if we had aspostrophe police we'd need period police. :) When you have quotes, the period goes inside the quote.

Refering to the Netherlands as Holland.

"Holland" is informally and quite incorrectly used in English and other languages, including sometimes the Dutch language itself, to mean the whole of the modern country of the Netherlands

It is interesting you say this.

I have always wanted to know the difference between Holland and Netherlands and have asked a number of Dutch Officers. ALL (with the exception of only one) have said they can be used interchangeably and they would not be offended by either.

The one who differed pointed out there is one province (county) which is not technically included in Holland but is in The Netherlands.

I always forget to research this as it is something about which I am interested and have repeatedly inquired.

I hate it when people refer to the Zuiderdam as the Zuidi, the Westerdam as the Westy, etc.

Oh, thank you, KK. I've always cringed when I read these abbreviated ship names. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who cringes!!!!

I'd argue that one with you. I was ending a sentence, not the phrase.
Exactly. Even when using quotes in a sentence, the period (or comma) goes inside the quote except for very few exceptions. :)

Another one of my pet peeves is people who use "loose" instead of "lose."

Archived