Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gracie115

$14.95 for STEAK???

Just read a Freedom review that stated that on the dining room menu if you wanted to order the alternative entree of a steak it now costs $14.95. Is this true? Is it true for all ships? :mad: :eek:

Here we go again. I read that too and am not saying that the person writing that review is wrong but we would have heard about that by now by more than one person if this was the case.

If it was the case we would have heard it from a lot of other people. He probably got a bill for a drink and he thought it was for the steak.

The new menus have been out for a while and not one person has mentioned this as of yet. Again if they were charging this then we would have heard about it by now. MerionMom just came back from the Liberty and I know that Carol would have mentioned this if she had seen it on the menu.

Just off Freedom yesterday. They offer the NY Strip that is served in Chops as an alternative for $14.95.

So did they have a free alternative steak also, and then the "upgraded" one from Chops?

Just off Freedom yesterday. They offer the NY Strip that is served in Chops as an alternative for $14.95.

NOW that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. Glad that someone was paying attention.:)

It was on the menu last week on Freedom.

Well it has now been cleared up which the person writing the Freedom review should have noted in their review. This is how silly rumors get started.

So did they have a free alternative steak also, and then the "upgraded" one from Chops?

Yes, the Chops alternative was offered every night and on the last night they had both the regular NY Strip and the Chops alternative.

Why not pay the extra and go to Chops?

Why pay for anything when there is plenty of good food included in the cost of the cruise?

Why pay for anything when there is plenty of good food included in the cost of the cruise?

Exactly MY thoughts :D

It's called "having a choice". You don't but others do. :)

So what we've clarified is that the review was correct - that an alternative steak is offered on the menu for $14.95........... Not a rumor after all.

Wonder who cooks these steaks - main DR chefs or Chops chefs. Could make a difference.

I'm still not clear on what is being offered. I understand that the Chops steak is now being offered as an option for $14.95 in the main dining room. Previously, a regular NY Strip was offered in the main dining room as a no extra cost option. Is that no extra cost steak still on the menu as an option, along with the other option of the $14.95 chops steak, or have they simply dropped reference to the free steak that has always been available every night, and replaced it with a reference to the optional $14.95 Chops steak? BIG difference between those two situations.

I don't think there should be an extra charge for any food item in the main dining room.

Do you think it'll stop with just steak? I can see them charging an additional fee for shrimp cocktail, lobster, specialty deserts.

Oh well, nothing I can do about it. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Because every once in a while I want great food on a cruise. Sadly nowadays, that means paying extra at Chops or Portofino.

Just got off the Majesty today. Indeed, the menu everynight had a "Chops" N.Y. Strip Steak for 14.95. However, there was still a sirloin steak available in the alternatives. We assumed because the Majesty doesn't have a Chops, this was their way of making it available. I didn't have it so I couldn't say if it was worth it.

By the way, we were quite happy with the quality of the food in general.