Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kokopops

they have a right to be mad!!! right?

if the people at carnival keep a close watch on the storms, they should see that trouble is on the horizon and take apporiate action then. they should know how fast the storm is moving and in which direction and change the iteinary. dont wait untill the ship is sailing to make the changes. they should have been made before the ship leaves the dock. ill be on the miracle in 10 days and i didnt pay $$$$ to go to rhode island. i could drive there.

Maybe you should send Carnival a crystal ball and then we would not have this issue of hurricanes interferring with cruises.

This happens during Hurricane season. If this does not make you happy cruise non Hurricane season and pay more. You must be flexible during Hurricane season. They have a lot of ships to move around and I think they do a great job. Old saying you get what you pay for and Hurricane season is the cheapest season to cruise. You will have a good time just be open minded and flexible. Just my opinion.

That is a ludicrous assumption, considering the National Weather Service can't be that specific. There is a great deal of organization and planning that has to go into any port change and while no line wants to have to do that, it happens.

You should know you are cruising in hurricane season and if that's a potential issue for you, pick another month.

They can't even get tomorrow's forecast correct, how can they know what a hurricane will become and where it will go when it's days away. But, you know that August and Sept are prime hurricane months, so why did you choose to cruise then??

I guess you haven't watched the Weather Channel much lately, huh? Yes we ALL knew of the approaching storm, but they cannot predict how fast it will be moving from one day to the next, what CATEGORY storm it will be or which DIRECTION it may take. If you've watched at all, you know tracking those storms is an hour by hour - even minute by minute - endeavor. So yeah, unless you can send 'em a crystal ball....

Storms change with an hours notice...there is no way to predict what will happen. As others have said, this is a normal occurance during hurricane season (especially Sept)...that's why they are usually less expensive...If you are not happy with changing, I would recommend planning your cruises for Dec-Feb...which are alot more expensive.

They have a right to be disappointed....not mad. I'd be disappointed if I were going to RI instead of somewhere in the Caribbean. But those are the chances you take when cruising during hurricane season.

If they were cruising out of FL instead of NY, they would probably have more Caribbean options.

But it's not like the Captain can just pull up to whatever port he wants.

I've just read bits and pieces of the other thread, but it sounds to me like they have a lawyer on board that's keeping everyone stirred up. That does nobody any good and doesn't change anything. And to take the tips off is just ridiculous.

if the people at carnival keep a close watch on the storms, they should see that trouble is on the horizon and take apporiate action then. they should know how fast the storm is moving and in which direction and change the iteinary. dont wait untill the ship is sailing to make the changes. they should have been made before the ship leaves the dock. ill be on the miracle in 10 days and i didnt pay $$$$ to go to rhode island. i could drive there.

Personally.........

What POC we make is a consideration. BUT if that POC is unsafe for any reason, Take me elsewhere. That is the duty of both Any cruise line and The Captain of any ship!

People ask me all the time about being scared of a Hurricane. SURE I am! Thats why I put faith in the Captain and his crew. They have some of the best weather stations and info available to anyone. These storms can be so unpredictable. I trust the crew to keep their ship and my AZZ out of harms way!

If you are that worried about it, I hope you bought the insurance with the "cancel for any reason clause"! Their are reasons they sell insurance for trips such as this.

Storms change course in a moments notice.

Besides, is your weatherman always right?

They do the best they can, and it's the risk you take when you decide to cruise in the Caribbean during this season.

Guess you didn't watch the coverage of Fay? I'm sure everyone in the state of Florida would have loved to be able to tell where it was going a week a head of time.

This time of the year is peak for hurricanes. I do believe we've all gotten lured into a false sense over the last two seasons as the tropics have not been very active.

If I booked a Caribbean cruise & we went to Rhode Island & Port Canaveral instead, I'd be pissed too. I'd rather just go out on the ocean for a few days. Rhode Island is not a replacement for a Caribbean port.

Don't cruise during hurricane season, also since when did Carnival join the Weather Channel? :D

Fred

You have the right to be mad at yourself for booking and taking a chance during this time of the year.

Fred

IMO....this statement is so ridiculous that I can't even think of a good comment. These hurricanes sometimes meander around for days before deciding which direction they want to go.

I can see right now that you would have fit right in on the Miracle this week!

You either need to not cruise OR pay the extra and not cruise during hurricane season.

IMO....this statement is so ridiculous that I can't even think of a good comment. These hurricanes sometimes meander around for days before deciding which direction they want to go.

You either need to not cruise OR pay the extra and not cruise during hurricane season.

I would suggest picking another time of year to cruise, other than hurricane season. Good thing OP doesn't live in FL. Talking about changing schedules...the first week the kids were in school days were missed, but what can you do about it. It is Mother Nature and she can be unpredictable.

A few years ago, one the Celebrity ships that sailed out of NYC in the summer made the decision at the pier to go to Canada instead of Bermuda. People were given the choice to board and take the revised itinerary or they would get a refund. Some people were furious. They booked a warm weather vacation and, by golly, that's what they wanted or they wanted additional compensation for the fact that the storm coming up the coast and was ruining their vacation.

There's no pleasing some people. Idiots will be idiots.

When you sail out of Florida or other southern ports, there are 3 route choices - eastern, western, Bahamas. A storm is not likely to block all 3 routes, so a chnage be made from an eastern itnierary to western, vice versa, etc. It's still a warm weather cruise, just different locations.

When you sail out of NYC there's only 1 way to go for warm weather and if a storm is blocking that, there's no where to go but north.

If you sail during hurricane season, those are the chances you take. It's just that some people think that someone should be held responsible when things don't go the way they planned. Well, guess what, sometimes stuff just happens and no one is to blame.

The Ports are less important to me than the cruise itself. I cruise to relax and get away. I prefer a 7 day cruise with 4 sea-days.

You took your chances when you booked during Hurricane season... it was a gamble that pays off for some, and not for others. No outguessing Mother Nature...

I suppose you can increase your odds of a good route in warm water by not booking a cruise from a port on the Alantic side of the USA.

It's close to impossible to predict a hurricane days out. When the Miracle left NYC this last time Hannah was supposed to turn south west - that was not the case apparently.

I'd be upset too if went north - I'm on your cruise in 10 days as well. I would hope they would know something before we set sail - however if not that's what we get for sailing in September!