Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kokopops

they have a right to be mad!!! right?

if the people at carnival keep a close watch on the storms, they should see that trouble is on the horizon and take apporiate action then. they should know how fast the storm is moving and in which direction and change the iteinary. dont wait untill the ship is sailing to make the changes. they should have been made before the ship leaves the dock. ill be on the miracle in 10 days and i didnt pay $$$$ to go to rhode island. i could drive there.

If you could drive to the port (NYC or RI) -than during Hurricane season chances would be a visit to your home port..;) -if a storm hit

Using your thinking..I guess people who stayed in their homes when hurricanes hit should have been following the storms with their Magic 8 Ball... I mean jeesss why didnt they realize how severe these storms were gonna be.. Serves them right, to lose their homes or even worse, loved ones.. Right?

:rolleyes:

Being pissed is one thing.. whom you take it on is another...

I agree that cruising during hurricane season you have to be flexible. I have a cruise in October and specifically picked a cruise going to ports I have already visited so if it gets changed, no biggie. That being said, I would not be happy if I got sent to Rhode Island as a port.

If I booked a Caribbean cruise & we went to Rhode Island & Port Canaveral instead, I'd be pissed too. I'd rather just go out on the ocean for a few days. Rhode Island is not a replacement for a Caribbean port.

Then if this ever happens stay on the ship!!! Sounds simple enuf to me!!

A ruined vacation is more of a mindset than a set of circumstances and locations!;)

if the people at carnival keep a close watch on the storms, they should see that trouble is on the horizon and take apporiate action then. they should know how fast the storm is moving and in which direction and change the iteinary. dont wait untill the ship is sailing to make the changes. they should have been made before the ship leaves the dock. ill be on the miracle in 10 days and i didnt pay $$$$ to go to rhode island. i could drive there.

I understand your upset unfortunately there is no good way to decide what to do too much in advance. I love to cruise during hurricane season for the simple reason that the air is still warm and the water temps are the best. With this knowledge I have had many itinerary changes. Do I like it? No, but I know this is the chance you take if you go on a cruise. Heck the cruiseline can make any itinerary change they want for any reason. It is in the contract.

Once again I am sorry it is upsetting. I have been there and know how you feel and how upsetting this can be when you are in limbo.

while i agree that going to RI wouldnt be my choice....

even though Newport is lovely....

I agree with most that unfortunetly that is the chance you take during hurricane season....

I know that i would be upset too...(rightfully or not) so that is why we cruise in jan or feb... it is the consumers choice when to cruise so you have to take the good with the bad.....

"they have a right to be mad!!! right?" No, they should be grateful to even be on a cruise. And thankful that Carnival cares enough about its passangers to keep them safe.

143315W_sm.gif

Kind of off topic but not really...I would like to point out that I am located EXACTLY where the "H" is where it is supposed to hit land in SC...GAH!:eek: Good thing that storms are UNPREDICTABLE and it may not follow this PREDICTED path...

I am cruising in October and I am totally aware that it is still Hurricane season and our itinerary may change...hey, a cruise is a cruise! Would the OP rather be in the middle of ocean in a hurricane or RI? I would rather be in the safetly of RI. I would be disappointed, yes, but your cruise contract is VERY clear that if things come up they can change what they need to to keep you out of the way of danger. I will never understand why anyone would rather continue their planned itinerary into a major storm than go somewhere else...

If the storm is there, its there, they cant make it go away, but the ship sure can move away! And I hope that it does!

I'd be po'd too. How dare Carnival deny people their right to visit Gilligan's Island!

LMAO,

Exactly!

This is the current projected path of Ike coming in behind Hanna. Yep, real clear what the cruiselines should do.:rolleyes:

at200809_model.gif

If YOU had read your cruise contract you would have known that YES you did pay money to go to Rhode Island or anywhere else the cruiseline deemed necessary. Actually in all honesty those people on the cruises are given the option of exercising their vacation guarantee so if you find yourself with an iteneray change you don't like then please make sure you are familiar with the ins and outs of the guarantee. Don't schedule cruises during hurricane season then complain about where you end up. If you want gurantees then book vacations that do not involve cruising BUT keep in mind even if you choose an island chances are you aren't going to make it if a hurricane disrupts travel. As far as predicting weather that changes continuosly during this season. If it were as simple as knowing exactly where and when the hurricanes would hit boy there'd be alot less fatalities. :confused:

I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :D

Seriously, have you ever tracked any of these storms closely to see some of the bizarre things that they do? They can be totally unpredictable. They speed up, slow down, change direction on a whim, wobble in a direction not expected, double back, intensify, weaken, etc. etc. ALL of the cruise lines are constantly monitoring these storms so as not to send their ships or passengers in harm's way. Once the ship has left port, they have to constantly monitor what the Hurricane Center is saying and sometimes changes have to be made AFTER the ship is already underway in order to avoid the storm because it has suddenly done something different than what the models were calling for before the ship left. Also, sometimes these hurricanes tear the ports up so as not to make it feasible for the ship to call even if the storm has long departed the area.

This is the current projected path of Ike coming in behind Hanna. Yep, real clear what the cruiselines should do.:rolleyes:

at200809_model.gif

Hmmmmmm,

Can I have the white route for $1000 Alex???

I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :D

lmao.gif

You are correct though...there is no way to pin down what a tropical storm will do days ahead. The cruise lines must make day to day adjustments to keep their crews, passengers, and ships safe.

Kind of off topic but not really...I would like to point out that I am located EXACTLY where the "H" is where it is supposed to hit land in SC...GAH!:eek: Good thing that storms are UNPREDICTABLE and it may not follow this PREDICTED path...

I am cruising in October and I am totally aware that it is still Hurricane season and our itinerary may change...hey, a cruise is a cruise! Would the OP rather be in the middle of ocean in a hurricane or RI? I would rather be in the safetly of RI. I would be disappointed, yes, but your cruise contract is VERY clear that if things come up they can change what they need to to keep you out of the way of danger. I will never understand why anyone would rather continue their planned itinerary into a major storm than go somewhere else...

If the storm is there, its there, they cant make it go away, but the ship sure can move away! And I hope that it does!

My Husband is on his way to Orlando for a conference.. and will be there all week.. I hope the weather is going to be safe!;)

and it's not as simple as saying--hmmm we can't go to Nassau so I'll take the ship to Grand Cayman today. They won't care will they if we show up and say here we are, let us play on your island today. Come on people, get a grip---you just can't go to any port any time just because of the weather. It doesn't work that way.

It's this kind of attitude that gets people kicked off of the ship. I am on the Legend right now and they changed the itenerary to go to Key West instead of the Caymans. Being from Tampa, I could also drive to KW, but instead of whining and complaining like you blue people tend to do, I took it in stride and am enjoying my cruise vacation.

My suggestion to you is if you don't like it, change it. If you complain and whine and cry about it, especially after you get onto the ship, you do so at your own risk of being tossed off of the ship at the next port. Lcky for you if it happens to be RI because you could just drive home then, yes?:rolleyes:

BTW, it is painfully obvious that you have not read the fineprint of your cruise contract. I suggest that you do so before getting embarking onto the ship and saving yourself that long drive home from RI.:D

Good luck with your lemons. I'm off to go jump back into the pool here in Cozumel and enjoy the rest of my cruise vacation.

Cheers!:cool:

I think they really do try to change to a port people would like...But thats not always poss. They have to do what is safe for everyone on-board. The forcasts are just pedictions, and I wouldnt want to take the chance that it could change course and catch a ship. If you have ever sailed in a storm you know its bad. And thats just a storm, I dont even want to think what it would be like to be too near a hurricane:eek:

What POC we make is a consideration. BUT if that POC is unsafe for any reason, Take me elsewhere. That is the duty of both Any cruise line and The Captain of any ship!

Very well said!

I'd rather be having fun in RI than riding out a storm with half the boat blowing chow somewhere else.

Very well said!

I'd rather be having fun in RI than riding out a storm with half the boat blowing chow somewhere else.

Very well said by both of you! Nothing worse than people sick all around you.....eeeeewww

it may not, and i hope for you and others in that area, that it does change again.

i have been watching this system since sunday (with gustav), and more actively, from monday on. the reason why i was watching it when it was still so far away is because it was sitting over/near turks and caicos and i am going back there in 10 weeks. i have been hoping that area wouldn't get pummelled by hanna.

this storm has changed direction countless times since i have been watching it. granted it is still heading toward the same land mass (the us), but it's course has veered greatly.

maybe we will all get lucky and it will just graze the coast. (yeah...i know, lol)

All I can say is "Poor Rhode Island." It sure is taking a lot of disrespect today.

Wishing fair winds and following seas to all.

I'm actually wondering if this is a serious question. They "SHOULD" know how fast the storm is moving and in which direction?!" Yeah, right. And someone "should" tell me what the next winning lottery ticket number is.

It's no wonder the cruiselines can't win. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.:rolleyes:

All I can say is "Poor Rhode Island." It sure is taking a lot of disrespect today.

It started losing respect when they made their State bird a chicken... :D

I wish the only thing I had to worry or be mad about was missing a port of call. Work,work,work...........no cruise for another 14 months :(