Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kokopops

they have a right to be mad!!! right?

I'm taking the Miracle next Sunday, 9/14. I don't want to go to Rhode Island, heck, I don't even want to go to San Juan. Just put me on the ship. If I don't like the port, trust me, I'll sip Margaritas by the pool, eat at the Lido buffet and have a ball where ever they send me.

So what if Carnival figured out where the storm would go 1,2 3 weeks in advance, they'd still have to change ports to avoid the storm. Does it REALLY matter where you go? Is there that big a difference between the beach at one island vs the other island? Are the drinks better at one island vs another island? Can you even tell the difference which island you are on once you get there?

Just go, plan on having a good time, enjoy all the great things, come back and post a GREAT review

Well its Randalls Island and there is a great stadium there for concerts. We also have Roosevelt and Governors Islands, and of course Liberty Island... And after all that there is Long Island with some of the best beaches in the North...

If you get bored here.. you will be bored everywhere...;)

How true trock...holding out both arms and belting out...

That's why I love New York...

We were on Victory too early to see the "waterfalls" lit. What time do they turn the lighting on?

if the people at carnival keep a close watch on the storms, they should see that trouble is on the horizon and take apporiate action then. they should know how fast the storm is moving and in which direction and change the iteinary. dont wait untill the ship is sailing to make the changes. they should have been made before the ship leaves the dock. ill be on the miracle in 10 days and i didnt pay $$$$ to go to rhode island. i could drive there.

Maybe you should cancel now and rebook during the peak season. Wonder why prices are down now and it is called off-season?

HURRICANES!

Carnival can't predict the weather and the cruise contract that you are subject to says that they can change ports at any time for any reason and you are not entitle to compensation. If you don't want to deal with that risk then maybe you should look at land based vacations that can't move. The Turks and Caicos have been lovely the past week.

i can't wait to tune in next week to hear how the people on the next sailing are upset that rhode island is cancelled, lol!

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Doesn't NYC havs there own private island...Rykers or sumpin. :D

ROFLMAO!!!!

I was trying to think of places that would really upset me to be diverted to... I think if you are the right type of person, you can make margaritas out of lemons (you can, I've done it :p), just stay on the ship and enjoy, chalk it up as an adventure... that being said, some places I would not be excited about being diverted to... some of those being:

Sudan

Liberia

Afghanistan

Iraq

Somalia

The Congo

Pakistan

Columbia

Lebanon

Milwaukee (wait, they have beer... scratch that one :p )

I think KBFan is Chief Wardrobe Inspector at Hooters.

I could be wrong about that though.

Wonder do they need any help???

Does it overlap with the beer taster too?

ROFLMAO!!!!

I was trying to think of places that would really upset me to be diverted to... I think if you are the right type of person, you can make margaritas out of lemons (you can, I've done it :p), just stay on the ship and enjoy, chalk it up as an adventure... that being said, some places I would not be excited about being diverted to... some of those being:

Sudan

Liberia

Afghanistan

Iraq

Somalia

The Congo

Pakistan

Columbia

Lebanon

Milwaukee (wait, they have beer... scratch that one :p )

LMAO GOOD ONE

This is why I booked during Hurricane season! I paid for el cheapo 3 day to the Bahamas, and I could end up anywhere. Bring on the hurricane! RH is cool with, never been there before, but I'm sure the seafood is good. All that matters to me is our two boys are staying with Grandma, and we are going off on our own for the first time ever! Hell, I don't mind if we don't even leave Atlanta... although the drinks are cheaper on the ship:p

This is why I booked during Hurricane season! I paid for el cheapo 3 day to the Bahamas, and I could end up anywhere. Bring on the hurricane! RH is cool with, never been there before, but I'm sure the seafood is good. All that matters to me is our two boys are staying with Grandma, and we are going off on our own for the first time ever! Hell, I don't mind if we don't even leave Atlanta... although the drinks are cheaper on the ship:p

Where are you drankin in Atlanta!

Does it REALLY matter where you go? Is there that big a difference between the beach at one island vs the other island? Are the drinks better at one island vs another island? Can you even tell the difference which island you are on once you get there?

Although I'm totally with you in spirit, that's a silly, silly thing to say. I bet MOST people book at least their first few cruises based on ports. I know I'm still at that point. Remember, not every cruiser is a beach bum---some of us are actually in it for the travel. There are definite things I want to do, definite places I want to go. If I got diverted, I'd be sad, not mad, but YES....it does make a difference.

143315W_sm.gif

This track has actually changed 20 times (I think) in the last 24-48 hours. I am on an island in the upper most northeast corner of Florida, right on the GA/FL border. I looked earlier that we were going to be pounded. All this is subject to change.

if the people at carnival keep a close watch on the storms, they should see that trouble is on the horizon and take apporiate action then. they should know how fast the storm is moving and in which direction and change the iteinary. dont wait untill the ship is sailing to make the changes. they should have been made before the ship leaves the dock. ill be on the miracle in 10 days and i didnt pay $$$$ to go to rhode island. i could drive there.

After keeping track of the "mutiny" thread, I won't read all the previous posts on this one. But I just have to ask one thing....

***** are you thinking? Sit back and read your post and if it seriously seems rational to you, I pray that you or none of the whining idiots on Miracle right now are ever on a cruise that my family is on.

Oh, wait a minute, I just got it! You're psychic!!! No, no, that's psycho, oh nevermind.

I think KBFan is Chief Wardrobe Inspector at Hooters.

I could be wrong about that though.

okay, now i am curious...

do you think kurb is prolly a hottie....

or, do you think she's a man?:p

I'll vote hottie :D

Seems like I heard some conversation someplace about she-males today???

....Milwaukee (wait, they have beer... scratch that one :p )

ROFLMAO!!!:D

I'll vote hottie :D

she has a 'veritible too. (that's convertible, lol)

No one really knows where a hurricane is going until it gets there! This is a chance you take when you cruise during hurricane season

They did at least make it to Freeport so they got one hot weather port in. I KNOW it would not be somewhere I'd want to go. I'd love to be on a cruise to Newport right now.

OK I normally don't get involved in these types of discussions BUT I gotta speak up this time....

We are set to sail on Saturday on the Liberty. We've been planning and researching for over 500 days. I'm obsessive like that. I've been reading every little thing about each and every port we're scheduled to go to. We booked for the itinerary. Now, it looks like Ike is going to send us Western instead. We haven't been to any of the ports in the WC. I haven't had time to do ANY research whatsoever on possible ports, but you know what? I am excited as HECK to be going on a cruise period! It's almost like we booked a suprise trip this week! We knew going into it that it was hurricane season but it was a chance we were willing to take so we could celebrate our anniversary. It's all about mindset. Have a positive attitude and don't sweat the small stuff. And if we do get diverted Western, that will be an excuse to go ahead and book Eastern again!:D

Get all the passengers to stand on the bow and blow really hard as the ship approaches the storm and change the direction of it. Simple solution.

Where is the storm now? Where is it going?

They have contractual agreements with their scheduled ports, ON an annual basis. Meaning they go there or not and still pay. The possible alternative ports also have contracts with other lines. Who will be where when, who has first choice? Who will dock, who will tender? HOW MUCH MONEY?

Do you make an agreement before you REALLY know where the storm will be?

Have you ever looked at ALL the 'spaghetti tracks' of the storm predictions? There are more than 20 of them, They MUST look at the worst case tracks.

But lets say you decide the path of the storm and so you need to go to alt. port 3. Agreements are worked out with the port authority and the other higher priority [regular customers] cruise lines.

Now you have to contact the USCG. Is this itinerary OK with them. Yes, No?

AND you have to contact the CG of the country of Alt. port 3. Is this extra traffic OK with them?

REMEMBER, this is all precautionary maneuvering, there is no emergency yet. If one is declared, all agreements are off.

And please be contacting the CG of your regular port to inform them you will not be there.

So now you're all set with AP3 and negotiating with AP2, just in case.

AP3, What is the excursion situation there?

What is the food situation there?

The water?

The fuel?

Shall we make a multi million dollar decision on a coin toss?

Just to keep KoKoPops happy?

It AIN"T just watchin Jim Cantore on the Weather Channel.

Dan