Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kokopops

they have a right to be mad!!! right?

Where is the storm now? Where is it going?

They have contractual agreements with their scheduled ports, ON an annual basis. Meaning they go there or not and still pay. The possible alternative ports also have contracts with other lines. Who will be where when, who has first choice? Who will dock, who will tender? HOW MUCH MONEY?

Do you make an agreement before you REALLY know where the storm will be?

Have you ever looked at ALL the 'spaghetti tracks' of the storm predictions? There are more than 20 of them, They MUST look at the worst case tracks.

But lets say you decide the path of the storm and so you need to go to alt. port 3. Agreements are worked out with the port authority and the other higher priority [regular customers] cruise lines.

Now you have to contact the USCG. Is this itinerary OK with them. Yes, No?

AND you have to contact the CG of the country of Alt. port 3. Is this extra traffic OK with them?

REMEMBER, this is all precautionary maneuvering, there is no emergency yet. If one is declared, all agreements are off.

And please be contacting the CG of your regular port to inform them you will not be there.

So now you're all set with AP3 and negotiating with AP2, just in case.

AP3, What is the excursion situation there?

What is the food situation there?

The water?

The fuel?

Shall we make a multi million dollar decision on a coin toss?

Just to keep KoKoPops happy?

It AIN"T just watchin Jim Cantore on the Weather Channel.

Dan

ROFLMAO:D:D:D

That's priceless right there!!!:D:D

oy vey!!!! my bad ya'll.:o i love rhode island.:D something tells me im walking the plank.:eek:

I dont agree with your first post, but I like the cut of your jib.....taking your lumps in style...Ill buy you a drink on the 14th, while we toast the poor crew for the lumps that THEY are getting right now for no reason......(wherever we sail!) ;)

How true trock...holding out both arms and belting out...

That's why I love New York...

We were on Victory too early to see the "waterfalls" lit. What time do they turn the lighting on?

HI

Dont know what time the lighting is turned on.. the waterfalls dont really interest me :eek:

But here's a link! http://www.newyorkcitywaterfalls.com/ :)

I just hope our 8 day doesnt turn into a 3 day cruise to nowhere like these folks-------anyway, I'd rather be safe than sorry!

FUTURE CRUISES FOR WEEK STARTING MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2008:

Carnival Fantasy: Mon. 9/1 departure from Mobile: We will be forced to change the five-day Carnival Fantasy cruise scheduled to depart on Monday, September 1, 2008 to a four-day cruise departing on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 returning on Sunday, September 7, 2008. The four-day cruise will depart from Mobile at 4:00 PM on Wednesday and visit Cozumel on Friday (arrive 8:00 AM; depart 5:00 PM).

Guests that sail on the new four-day cruise will receive a 25% refund of the cruise fare paid. In addition, guests will receive a 25% discount of a future three- to five-day Carnival Cruise departing prior to December 15, 2009. This discount applies to the cruise fare only. Please understand this offer is non-transferable.

If guests elect to cancel the cruise, we ask that guests contact us right away to cancel the booking. Guests will receive a full refund and refunds will be processed in less than two weeks.

Carnival Ecstasy: Mon. 9/1 departure from Galveston: We will be forced to change the five-day Carnival Ecstasy cruise scheduled to depart on Monday, September 1, 2008 to a three-day Cruise-To-Nowhere departing on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 returning on Saturday, September 6, 2008. The new three-day cruise will depart from Galveston at 4:00 PM on Wednesday.

Guests that sail on the new three-day cruise will receive a 50% refund of the cruise fare paid. In addition, guests will receive a 50% discount of a future three- to five-day Carnival Cruise departing prior to December 15, 2009. This discount applies to the cruise fare only. Please understand this offer is non-transferable.

If guests elect to cancel the cruise, we ask that guests contact us right away to cancel the booking. Guests will receive a full refund and refunds will be processed in less than two weeks.

We are looking forward to welcoming our guests aboard all of the Carnival “Fun Ships”. The officers, staff and crew on each of our ships are dedicated to delivering a great cruise vacation experience.

if the people at carnival keep a close watch on the storms, they should see that trouble is on the horizon and take apporiate action then. they should know how fast the storm is moving and in which direction and change the iteinary. dont wait untill the ship is sailing to make the changes. they should have been made before the ship leaves the dock. ill be on the miracle in 10 days and i didnt pay $$$$ to go to rhode island. i could drive there.

Oh, I thought the post was going to be about the workers having a right to be mad for passengers removing their tips... THEY have a right to be mad, IMHO.:mad:

Previous Post: Does it REALLY matter where you go? Is there that big a difference between the beach at one island vs the other island? Are the drinks better at one island vs another island? Can you even tell the difference which island you are on once you get there?

Surely you have never been to a New England beach! haha The water up here is freezing, the beaches aren't pretty - they are covered in seaweed and other debris, and there are NO palm trees to look at. Yeah, I hardly see RI as being an adventure! haha

- From New Hampshire - take me to the Caribbean please! :D

Storms change course in a moments notice.

Besides, is your weatherman always right?

They do the best they can ===> and Nat'l. Hurricane Center gets it right 95% of the time!

Storms change course?? - that's unthinkable!

What fresh hell is this? :D

Geez.. how come National Hurricane Center

didn't predict Hannah's weird loop in the Southern Bahamas?

Hannah_is_wacky.gif

Follow the dotted black line, if you can.. :D

See a bigger image of this NHC graphic at URL..

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=5197&cat=512&limit=recent

I understand your frustration however for the safety of passangers and crew it is in most bylines that the cruiseline has the right to change itinerary as they see fit even during the cruise.

I am leaving tomorrow for a weekend Norwegian cruise and they still have yet to post any changes due to the Hurricane, even though I am hearing rumors that we may be changing both of our ports. Regardless I am staying positve and happy it is not cancelled.

If you are really unhappy about this then you should be sure to purchase travel insurance that covers weather problems or travel when it is not hurricane season. Do you know how serious these storms can be?

I live in South Florida and have been through various storms. During Wilma we only had enough shutters and plywood to cover all the windows with the exception of one of the sliders. Have you ever seen glass bend in and out right in front of you. It is scary to think you are going to loose everything, your pets and maybe even your life. It's a lot to have to think about. Please enjoy your vacation.

if the people at carnival keep a close watch on the storms, they should see that trouble is on the horizon and take apporiate action then. they should know how fast the storm is moving and in which direction and change the iteinary. dont wait untill the ship is sailing to make the changes. they should have been made before the ship leaves the dock. ill be on the miracle in 10 days and i didnt pay $$$$ to go to rhode island. i could drive there.

Do you really like to cruise? The ocean is in charge. NOBODY except for God knows where a storm will land - and when. The weather-men can give you THEIR best guess. If you want to go someplace - fly. If you want to enjoy some time on a ship, cruise. If you are better at forcasting the weather than the ship lines, you could make lots of $$$$.

I really think the OP just doesn't know much about hurricanes. Truly, it was an ignorant statement, but I don't mean "ignorant" in an ugly way. I think OP *truly* doesn't understand that even the National Hurricane Center can't predict intensity or the exact path of a hurricane. NHC has gotten really good at narrowing down the projected path, but hurricanes have a "mind" of their own and can still do what they want to do depending on many variables of atmospheric conditions.

I'm working off of generator power right now because we still have no power to our homes from Gustav. I'm also taking a cruise and booked it for December BECAUSE of hurricane season. (Although I also know hurricanes don't know when hurricane season ends and it isn't out of the realm of possibility to have a hurricane in December).

The reason the cruise lines make changes at the last minute is because storms and hurricanes don't follow a narrow black line that a person superimposed on a map. They change itineraries based on the information in real time and they can't do that a few days before sailing.

There just is no other way around it.

To answer the original question, No they do NOT have a "RIGHT" to be mad. They are free to feel sad, or to second guess themselves for their OWN booking timing, or to feel disappointed to be missing ports they wanted to visit. But they have a PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY to know what their contract says and they have the ethical and moral obligation to realize that the safety of souls at sea outweighs their selfish desires.

Dan

hey, if you book a LAND VACATION & a storm approaches, you are basically screwed! (excuse my language).. i live & work in a tourist area... and the rental companies have already started to post poned arrivals or cancel them all together because of them having houses on the ocean... and yes, hanna is headed right for us & we are leaving to go on a cruise out of miami & may or may not visit nassau or coco cay but you know what? we havent lost anything!!! we are still going to have a blast & I KNOW we WILL GO SOMEWHERE!!! maybe even cancun, which is fine with us.. we are going to enjoy the company of others who are like us..

if you think the cruise lines know more about the weather than the weather people themselves, you are sadly mistaken.... go.. have fun.. be glad youre not where it is going!

me personally, i'd rather take a cruise during a hurricane than stay on land... at least the ship can manuver around it.. :D

I was on the Miracle this past week and it was only a few people getting all bent out of shape. I wasn't thrilled with the port changes but thats life. The weather was nice and they didn't run out of booze. I was a little disappointed with the Captain however. He was kind of rude (in my opinion) regarding the ports of call. He was almost like FU. Now I know hes the Captain and not a PR guy but silly references to Barack Obama did not help matters while addressing the crowd. Anyways now I have a reason to book another cruise since I didn't make it to the Caribbean this time.

How about "We're sorry we could not make it to the Caribbean as planned, here's a coupon for 20% off a 7 day cruise within the next 2 years" as you got off the ship.

They could have found ways to keep everyone's good will about this.

Cruise lines have a right to change the itinerary only so long as we keep buying cruises on those terms. Hurricane season lasts from June 1 to November 30 each year. If we all refused to buy any cruises during 6 months of every year, we'd see the contract change. Cruise lines should refund cruise fare if they can't deliver the product promised -- or something substantially similar. That is simple contract law.

Rhode Island is, in no way, comparable to the Caribbean. When RCCL changed a cruise from Bermuda to Canada due to a hurricane, the attorney general of New Jersey sued RCCL. There is a point at which passengers deserve a refund -- not a cruise to a place not even remotely similar to where they wanted to go.

If you book a vacation to Walt Disney World and a hurricane is set to hit, you can rebook for another time. If you book a flight, the airlines let you change to different flights on different days.

The cruise lines could do the same. They just want us -- rather than them-- to bear the risk. And, they will let us continue to do so as long as we will.

Cruise lines have a right to change the itinerary only so long as we keep buying cruises on those terms. Hurricane season lasts from June 1 to November 30 each year. If we all refused to buy any cruises during 6 months of every year, we'd see the contract change. Cruise lines should refund cruise fare if they can't deliver the product promised -- or something substantially similar. That is simple contract law.

Rhode Island is, in no way, comparable to the Caribbean. When RCCL changed a cruise from Bermuda to Canada due to a hurricane, the attorney general of New Jersey sued RCCL. There is a point at which passengers deserve a refund -- not a cruise to a place not even remotely similar to where they wanted to go.

If you book a vacation to Walt Disney World and a hurricane is set to hit, you can rebook for another time. If you book a flight, the airlines let you change to different flights on different days.

The cruise lines could do the same. They just want us -- rather than them-- to bear the risk. And, they will let us continue to do so as long as we will.

Don't book in Hurricane season and simple contract law.

The contract boils down to saying, "You are promised a boat ride!" Absolutely nothing else is guaranteed. You don't like the contract? You are 100% correct, "Don't buy it." But if you did buy it, Shut Up! You knew what you were doing.

Don't book during hurricane season? Well you're half right, I don't book in June, July, or August. Those months are 100% whirlwind KIDS, I prefer to take the hurricane chance in Sep., Oct., and Nov.

How those with small kids will heed your advice, I do not know. But I wouldn't count on a large boycott of summer vacation cruises.

In the old days of cruising, not ocean crossings, the very non-hurricane months WERE the PEAK season. Jan., Feb., and Mar., when winter howled up north, people took cruises. NOT with kids. Summer in the Caribbean then? Way Tooo Hot to even think about going there. Alaska cruises were popular then [still are] and no kids there either. [that has changed]

When a cruiseline, any line, misses a port, they always give some refund, or if they miss a cruising day, they issue a refund and often, if there is a problem on a ship, they will issue an OBC or an open bar. ALL not required by the CONTRACT which every single passenger agreed to by boarding the ship.

Let me know when Disney has to supply a manifest to the USCG and Homeland Security for each day of operation. Along with a lifeboat seat and life vest for EACH passenger and worker. Apples and oranges.

Dan

Of course. Everyone has the right to be mad or to be happy for that matter. I have no wish to interfere with the emotions of strangers, no matter how far out of touch with reality they may be. How they felt is irrelevant, however, it is the reported behavior that was out of line.

>>subject: they have a right to be mad!!! right?

>>if the people at carnival keep a close watch on the storms,

>>they should see that trouble is on the horizon and take

>>apporiate action then. they should know how fast the storm is

>>moving and in which direction and change the iteinary. dont

>>wait untill the ship is sailing to make the changes. they

>>should have been made before the ship leaves the dock. ill be

>>on the miracle in 10 days and i didnt pay $$$$ to go to rhode

>>island. i could drive there.