Acapulco All questions answered.

Tacos&Beer

Hello ACA_Port Dude and Tacos&Beer,

We will be in ACA on Christmas Day on the Carnival Spirit. I understand that everyone will be out and about that day and the Diver's will be performing. A couple of questions:

Will the Fort and the Mask Museum be open? Also, will the Zocolo be a beehive of activity and should we venture to it?

Is there someplace close to the port where we can get Pozole (Christmas is on a Thursday this year) and a Coco Loco? Or, would we be better off to get a taxi and say "Pozole and Coco Loco" and pray the driver doesn't take us 40 miles into the country to his cousins house? That may be a fantastic adventure but I don't know if I would want to pay the taxi fare.

Thanks to you both for all of the information you have provided. And, Roberto, I'll see if I can find you when we the ship docks. Are you going to be hanging around on Christmas Day?

Richard

Both the fort and the mask musuem will be closed and only open for ship arranged tours, regarding Pozole, you can go across the street from the pier and there are 3 restaurants (Banamex Bank for reference), you can walk into any one, 2 of them offer a local variety show (B Movie kinda show, Lip synch performers, bad dancers, fun IMO) usually starting at 5pm.

Go ahead and venture into the Zocalo, you will find it very interesting specially at night and yes, I will be at the pier all day long; when the ship berths, clearance for guests to start disembakring and then I will be in my office on call till the ship sails.

thank you for answering my quesitions, my dh can get in and out of a taxi so we won't need a special taxi. If we wanted to go to La perle Restaurant would he be able to get in with the wheelchair and also see the show from the restaurant. Would you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again, Also if we arrive at 12:oop.m. ship time what time will it be in Acapulco?

Karen

Yes, they have a ground level observation deck for impaired walking guests.

The ship arrives at berth between 12 noon and 1pm Local time (11am to noon ship time), you may miss the 1pm dive, but, the ship arranges a private show after 2pm for ship arranged tours and the will jump every 30 minutes; look at what time the first city tour starts (they usually start the tour at the divers)

Both the fort and the mask musuem will be closed and only open for ship arranged tours, regarding Pozole, you can go across the street from the pier and there are 3 restaurants (Banamex Bank for reference), you can walk into any one, 2 of them offer a local variety show (B Movie kinda show, Lip synch performers, bad dancers, fun IMO) usually starting at 5pm.

Go ahead and venture into the Zocalo, you will find it very interesting specially at night and yes, I will be at the pier all day long; when the ship berths, clearance for guests to start disembakring and then I will be in my office on call till the ship sails.

Thank you for your advice Roberto. We hope we can catch you at the port and, perhaps, share a little Christmas cheer before the ship sails.

Richard

We are coming in on the Carnival Spirit on Oct. 30 at 12 PM and leave at 1 AM on Oct 31 according to our itinerary. I pretty sure the leaving time is accurate because we arrive in Zihuatanejo at 9 Am on the 31st.

What they don't say is whether we arrive at 12 Noon on the 30th or at 12 Midnight on the 29/30.

I figured you would know how many hours we are in port. :confused:

Thanks.

Bob

We get into port at noon. (went last year) and stay till 1 am.

Question: Last year there was reallllly a lot of traffic and locals out and about because of a Mexican holiday. Took forever to get anywhere (plus the taxi broke down, and then the AC broke-adventure!) Anyway, we are also going to be there on Oct. 30. Is that any national holiday? Just wondering so we can plan our day with the crowds in mind.

Thanks, you guys rock!

ACA_Port Dude, Tacos&Beer,

It’s a pleasure to have access to a pair of such knowledgeable folks. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Our cruise ends in ACA on Sat. Jan 3, 2009, early in the morning. We’re assuming we can get off the ship by 9:30 or 10 AM. Our fight home leaves ACA at 2:40 PM, so we hope we have just a bit of time for a driving tour of the city.

Are there any (very reliable) independent tour/taxi services available with English speaking drivers that you can recommend, and about what might they cost. It would be just DW and me (with luggage) and we’d love to be provided a tour of what is a beautiful city, terminating at the airport by about 1PM.

Our three hour window is restrictive, but it’s better than nothing.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Terry

We are coming in on the Carnival Spirit on Oct. 30 at 12 PM and leave at 1 AM on Oct 31 according to our itinerary. I pretty sure the leaving time is accurate because we arrive in Zihuatanejo at 9 Am on the 31st.

What they don't say is whether we arrive at 12 Noon on the 30th or at 12 Midnight on the 29/30.

I figured you would know how many hours we are in port. :confused:

Thanks.

Bob

Many guests have actually missed the ship thinking they will over night in Acapulco. The ship arrives at noon (Thursday Oct. 30th) and departs that same evening at 1:00 am (time Oct.31st) The Spirit will stay in Acapulco for 13 hours. So the ship will sail 1 hour after midnight ship time.

Very important keep always on ship time.

11:00 hrs Ship time = 12:00 noon local time

We get into port at noon. (went last year) and stay till 1 am.

Question: Last year there was reallllly a lot of traffic and locals out and about because of a Mexican holiday. Took forever to get anywhere (plus the taxi broke down, and then the AC broke-adventure!) Anyway, we are also going to be there on Oct. 30. Is that any national holiday? Just wondering so we can plan our day with the crowds in mind.

Thanks, you guys rock!

Yikes, sounds like a terrible ordeal. I don't expect for it to be as bad as you enountered last time, but, note that we will have 3 ships in port (2 berthed and 1 anchored) So many of the tourist attractions will be crowded (Diver shows, look out points, general places where the guides take tourists) but, we have a lot of beaches and most of them will only have a small amount of visitors.

Nov. 1 and 2nd are considered national hollidays as we celebrate our dearly departed (dia de muertos or day of the dead), many places will have "offerings" known as ofrendas, where family and friends build altars to offer food, items that their loved ones enjoyed will alive.

Read more on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

The fort always prepares an altar for tourists, you can find many more in small mom and pop shops through out the main square may be a few of the hotels, it's a big Mexican tradition.

772735_9c3e54a6d3.jpg?v=0

I am posting this, cause I am not sure if we will have a lot of domestic visitors a couple of days before the actual holliday and it'svery colorful

Yes, they have a ground level observation deck for impaired walking guests.

The ship arrives at berth between 12 noon and 1pm Local time (11am to noon ship time), you may miss the 1pm dive, but, the ship arranges a private show after 2pm for ship arranged tours and the will jump every 30 minutes; look at what time the first city tour starts (they usually start the tour at the divers)

I checked the ship tour is 1:45p.m. can I go to that one on my own or do we have to wait for a later show? Also do they start the shows every 30 minutes after the first ship tour or do they start at the 7:30p.m. show.

Thank you for being so helpful.

Karen

We will be staying in Acapulco overnight after disembarking our ship. Our flight leaves at 7:00 a.m. the next morning. We would like to find a relaxing place to stay that allows us the opportunity to snorkel and is easy to get from the ship to the hotel and the hotel to the airport. Any recommendations?

Lynn

We will be staying in Acapulco overnight after disembarking our ship. Our flight leaves at 7:00 a.m. the next morning. We would like to find a relaxing place to stay that allows us the opportunity to snorkel and is easy to get from the ship to the hotel and the hotel to the airport. Any recommendations?

Lynn

Aca Port Dude or Taco & Beer,

We have been to Acapulco before and have been to the fort, museum, Flamingo Hotel, cliff divers, walk along malecon, shopping, etc.

You mentioned two things that interest us for our cruise next year.

One is the Palma Sola archaeology site. The other is the La Roqueta hiking. How would we get to these sites?

I read that Palma Sola is only 6 kilometers from downtown, but is it easy to get there by walking from the cruise port? Do you advise taking a taxi there or walking from the port? We like to walk a lot of miles as long as there is a nice, safe place to walk without a lot of traffic, in a safe neighborhood, and easy to find our way without getting lost.

The same with La Roqueta. How do we actually get onto the island itself?

Kathy

Palma Sola is best reached by taxi, one which you can either arrange for at the cruise ship terminal or, less expensively, by waiving it down on the Costera Miguel Aleman (the street fronting the terminal).

The site can present some strenuous challenges, as far as walking - climbing stairs - goes. It's a site not of pyramid ruins but of 2,000 year-old rock carvings (in the shape of indigenous animals/mammals - sea/land) and petroglyphs.

The view of Acapulco, from 1,000 ft. above sea level, is fantastic and the site is interesting to explore, also. Bring water with you, though there is a small store on site selling refreshments.

2563546120051388507wPjYYO_th.jpg (click on photo to enlarge)

To view my online album of 115 photos of Palma Sola, click on the following link:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/100370918GormmW

220855689VZwgxX_th.jpg (click on photo to enlarge)

Another thought, for something to do, is a visit to the mask museum, almost next door to Ft. San Diego. Maybe you've visited that museum before, but if not, click on the following link to view some of my photos of the place:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/220789710rSKjLT

I'm not a fan of Isla Roqueta, but I have heard of a few people who enjoyed a visit.

Have a great trip!

Gomexico,

Thanks for such a thorough and fast reply with your suggestions. Strenuous is good. We like to get a lot of exercise and activity. We'll take the taxi as you suggested. We will enjoy the Olmec site. We've seen an Olmec site outside of Ixtapa which required some climbing and have visited a lot of Mayan sites in the Yucatan and Belize. This sounds exactly like what we would like to do -- see archaeology and get some exercise at the same time.

Thanks again, Kathy

For snorkeling in Acapulco, I don't like La Roqueta. I prefer to snorkel in the small bay at Play La Angosta - a 15-20 minute walk from La Quebrada where the cliff divers perform, and a 1/2 block walk from Costera Miguel Aleman and easily reached by city bus or taxi in a matter of minutes from the passenger terminal area. I have some Playa Langosta photos in my online albums which you can access when you click on the link in my signature line, below.

Can you give me specific information on bus travel for this location from a cruise ship?? Any admission fees? Is this shore snorking? How are the sea conditions here? How far out to swim for the snorkle location?

Can you give me specific information on bus travel for this location from a cruise ship?? Any admission fees? Is this shore snorking? How are the sea conditions here? How far out to swim for the snorkle location?

Playa La Angosta is a public beach and the snorkeling is from shore - there is no admission charge. Though, there may be someone renting tables/chairs/umbrellas for a nominal fee. Snacks and beverages can be purchased across the street from the beach.

There are very large rock formations jutting out of the water and skyward - more than 100 feet tall and you'll see things beneath the surface starting at maybe 30-40 ft. from shore. The small bay opens into the Pacific Ocean and if there is rough water you might see some roughness in the bay - but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Waiving-down a taxi across the street from the cruise ship passenger terminal will get you to Playa La Angosta quickly - less than 10-minutes for a cost probably less than Mx$50 (less than US$5). You can also cross the street and catch one of the "Caleta" busses (heading in the direction to your left as you exit the terminal property) and tell the driver you want to get off at "Hotel Avenida." Head east (to your right at the street corner) for one block at you're at Playa La Angosta.

Hiya,

We are arriving in Acapulco 27th November 09 embarking on Oceana and leaving the following day.

Can you advise me of any tours that include the dolphin swimming at Cici water park? would we have to do it as a "do it yourself" excursion?

many thanks in advance

Only if you book through a tour operator can you arrange a day in Acapulco that includes the swim with the dolphins; other wise you can swim with the dolphins, stay a few hours at the waterpark, go to the beach and then hop on a yellow AC bus that will drive you all the way to Caleta (no guide informing) or hail a cab to take you to another point of interest. What are you're interests?

Thank you so much for your speedy response.

Number one on our wishlist is the Swimming with Dolphins, I'm a VW Beetle lover so would love to travel in one of these ( have heard they are sometimes used as taxi's ), if time permitted we would love to see the cliff divers too. Not really very clued up on what the other points of interest are :confused:

This will be our first cruise and although I'm usually pretty confident of "going it alone".........I'm terrified of missing the ship :eek:

Do you know of any tour operators offering this type of thing?

Well- our itinerary changed this past week which means instead of docking in ACA at noon we will be there 7am - 3pm. With having to be onboard in plenty of time before the ship sails...... it appears that the normal cliff diver shows might not work for the thousands on board the Carnival Spirit.:confused:

That is if this is the normal schedule??

Dive Times:

12:30 pm

7:15 pm

8:15 pm

9:15 pm

10:15 pm

When this happens, do the divers put on before noon shows? Or do we have to book the more pricey ship tour to see the cliff divers?

It's a bummer we won't be able to be there till 1am and see the night divers.:(

Thanks for your advice!

The public is allowed, as indicated, to view the private shows arranged earlier for the ship passengers, and the cost is about double the 'regular' cost - charged when the cruise ships don't arrange for the special performances.

I've always found the night shows to be unimpressive and disappointing, and many, probably most, people don't see very much. If you want to see the divers perform the dangerous tasks do so in daylight.

Watch from the restaurant, or watch from the various viewing platforms and stairways - that's a personal choice. I don't like viewing from the restaurant because it's the positioning furthest from the divers. When you're on the stairs or viewing platforms the divers walk past you afterwards, you can take photos, talk to them, etc. - you're 'up close and personal.'

Several divers will come into the restaurant, however, allowing you to take their photos - and they'll politely ask for tips, because the tips is what makes up the bulk of what they earn for their shows.

Archived