Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iphotograph

Question about private tours

Hi everyone!

A question from a newbie:

If you book a private tour/driver, how do you usually make your payment? Do most of you fax your payment or do it over the phone - partial or in full?

My husband and I are thinking of hiring a private driver in Naples... but I thought I should ask here first how most of you have done it.

Your info will be much appreciated!

I think it depends on the tour operator--some are paid when you show up at the port! I would imagine a private driver would at least want a deposit in advance!

Hi everyone!

If you book a private tour/driver, how do you usually make your payment? Do most of you fax your payment or do it over the phone - partial or in full?

My husband and I are thinking of hiring a private driver in Naples... but I thought I should ask here first how most of you have done it.

We have had it all different ways. Some want a CC # upon booking. Others will wait until you get there. Some want a deposit. Depends on their policy. Their websites often will say or you can email them.

The vendor can require anything from no pre-payment to a full pre payment. Be extra careful before paying money in advance. Check on the vendor on the ports of call section of these boards.

Hi everyone!

Hi there,

We were on a private tour of Naples last month on the Carnival Freedom. One person on the CC board set it up (gave her credit card as a placeholder). The credit card is never charged - the driver expects payment in Euros (preferred) or you can pay in American $$ but they may charge you more because of what it will cost him to exchange the money - I've heard that can range as high as 7% so best to pay in Euros at all times for private tours. Our group was 6 people and we were on a 9-hour tour. I don't have the information with me right now (it's at work) but I believe it cost about $125 per person (roughly) which was a lot less than the ship's tours. Lunch was separate but he recommended a great place that was all-inclusive.

We have had it all different ways. Some want a CC # upon booking. Others will wait until you get there. Some want a deposit. Depends on their policy. Their websites often will say or you can email them.

I have found that some will take your card number but not run it unless you don't show.

Thank you so much for responding. Well, I went to their website and read the 'terms and conditions' - and this is what I found out--

Payments: Rates can be paid at the end of each excursion directly to the driver in Euros or USD cash, Euro or USD traveler’s check, or personal check.

Again, thanks to all who replied! :)