Live News from Galveston

hippie2008

I suppose we are in a better position than others since we are not due to sail until Nov 29. However, our final payment is due 9/29 so within two weeks there should be some info by then. My Sister and BIL live in Baytown and BIL stayed during Ike. They had minor damage to their house (lost a fence but fences are replacable). BIL works at ExxonMobile and they are in great shape out there. Exxon has stepped up to help their employees as well.

We are determined to cruise if we have to leave out of New Orleans, even. Best wishes to all affected. My parents are in Orange and are doing great. My grandma is still stranded because the rescuers wouldn't let her take her cat and dog. But she has phone and gas power. No electricity but the weather is cool.

KHOU and the mayor of Galveston just reported that one cruise ship will be brought to the island for the purpose of housing workers. The ship can only return when the channel is clear. Only one cruise terminal is operable. There is no word on what ship will house these workers.

Also, the city manager just said that it will take months to clean up the debris. Also, no one should return to Galveston unless they are a first responder. Finally, the causeway bridge is being assessed for structural damage.

The city manager also says that only essential businesses will open to support the workers. Next, the city manager is discouraging all residents from staying in Galveston even if they have generators. In essence, the city has no infrastructure for water or healthcare. Further, they are very worried about the impact of a potential health crisis. The infestation of mosquities is very bad.

excitedcruiser posted this on another page, interesting photos, you can zoom in onto the port and in a couple of parking lots, the cars don't seam to be parked to straight!

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/ike/29094C7_IKE.HTM

I was just going to post this link. If you zoom in you can see a boat on the grounds of Harbor House. The hotel looks like it faired well structurally. This is a very cool site and bringing much needed info to residents on the island.

You can see the debris field in front of the Flagship hotel that the media has been using a s a backdrop. Not to minimize the tragedy, but one customer of ours, the Holiday Inn, the pool is still blue, well blue-green. Many of the other pools are black.

I guess I was really expecting to see more structures damaged. It is very bad and an areal shot does not actuality depict what is on the ground, but even the KHOU reporter said this debris pile does not represent the entire island. I believe the East end suffered way more due to the tidal surge. Hopefully they can recover sooner than what they are experiencing today.

You can see the debris field in front of the Flagship hotel that the media has been using a s a backdrop. Not to minimize the tragedy, but one customer of ours, the Holiday Inn, the pool is still blue, well blue-green. Many of the other pools are black.

I guess I was really expecting to see more structures damaged. It is very bad and an areal shot does not actuality depict what is on the ground, but even the KHOU reporter said this debris pile does not represent the entire island. I believe the East end suffered way more due to the tidal surge. Hopefully they can recover sooner than what they are experiencing today.

Thanks for posting the link by the way, I think others will find it very interesting. Thankfully it doesn't seem as severe island wide as the news media would have you believe. We experienced the same thing with the 1989 earthquake, had relatives nationwide worried about our safety seeing the Bay Bridge, Marina District and the Cypress Structure over and over on the news. I didn't even lose a drinking glass.

Just watched a report from KHOU, a guy went out with the Coast Guard to inspect the ship channel, they saw chairs, furniture and cows in the bay. One of the biggest issues was the buoys have been displaced and need to be put back. The depth of the center of the channel was unchanged, That's good news. They are now fanning out to make sure it is passable

Hundred of container ships are outside the channel waiting for clearance to get in. They estimate a couple of more days.

They did go by the passenger pier in Galvestion, there is some damage to the dock area and one of the gang ways was blown backwards. The cars, sorry folks, they look bad.

They are really trying hard to open the ship channel.

I suppose we are in a better position than others since we are not due to sail until Nov 29. However, our final payment is due 9/29 so within two weeks there should be some info by then. My Sister and BIL live in Baytown and BIL stayed during Ike. They had minor damage to their house (lost a fence but fences are replacable). BIL works at ExxonMobile and they are in great shape out there. Exxon has stepped up to help their employees as well.

We are determined to cruise if we have to leave out of New Orleans, even. Best wishes to all affected. My parents are in Orange and are doing great. My grandma is still stranded because the rescuers wouldn't let her take her cat and dog. But she has phone and gas power. No electricity but the weather is cool.

Don't be sure or expect that they will know anything about your November crusie by the end of this month. It may take a lot longer than that.

Check out this video, http://www.click2houston.com/video/17480828/index.html About 2/3 of the way into it the helicopter flies over the cruise ship terminal. It doesn't look to bad from the air.

Dave

I was just coming to post the same thing! The video did leave me with a feeling that parts of the town can be up and running shortly after they re-open the island.

Archived