Port of Galveston?

KCE

Maybe because a lot of Galveston is under water and the ports aren't being used right now/are closed. What exactly are you looking for? If you're looking for cruise arrivals/departures, go to Carnival's website or search for Galveston's port website. Otherwise, there's not going to be any news people out there until it's safe.

There is a lot more to Galveston than the Port of Galveston.

I think Galveston has bigger worries right now than just the port. It will take some time to do a full damage assessment and I would imagine first priority, now that it's daylight, will be rescue and recovery missions ahead of damage assessment. I would think the port is not high on the priority list -- things like hospitals, power, infrastructure, etc., will be ahead of a cruise terminal.

Maybe a high priority for this website but in the overall scheme of things, not so much.

Geez, They just asked a simple question. You could of just said "We won't know till this is all over"

???!!!!! Sorry, we can't put warm and fuzzy on top of our replies since it is just words on a screen. No one was bashing. Maybe we gave more of an explanation than you would have but darned if you do, darned if you don't. Now, we're at fault for offering too much info.

I'm guessing that a lot of people aren't glued to the weather channel and news feeds from the Houston area and are not aware of the overall situation. They also may not be aware of what lies beyone the terminal and Harbor House.

Additionally, we are all so used to instantaneous answers, that I don't think it hurts to remind people that in situations like this, the answers may take longer and will need to be prioritized.

To the OP: I don't think anyone was bashing you but simply supplying additional info as to why we don't yet have an answer. I hope you are not quite as sensitive as CruizinMom2c is and take the responces as they were meant.

I also guess I need to add to my original response that I'm not sure the reporters can get to the Port yet if they wanted to report on it. Last I had track, they were all holed up at the St Luis Resort on the Seawall. The port is on the other side and there was major flooding so they may not be able to get there.

???!!!!! Sorry, we can't put warm and fuzzy on top of our replies since it is just words on a screen. No one was bashing. Maybe we gave more of an explanation than you would have but darned if you do, darned if you don't. Now, we're at fault for offering too much info.

OP asked why and you gave your opinion why. Nothing wrong with any of the posts.

Maybe I read your post wrong.... I might have interpreted it wrong as a "why should you care about the port when there are other things going on" if it were that case, then I would say that people come on these boards for the cruise topics, and they were just wanting to know about the port.

but as I read your post more, I can see where you are explaining the reason why we wouldn't know. Sorry to cause any trouble.

Hi, Im on Conquest and they told us yesterday the Coast Guard will go into the channel tomorrow and evaluate it for passage and if its passable they will determine at that time (late tomorrow) if we can go into Galveston. Monday will be the earliest we can go in. last we heard the bridge into galveston was under water and not passable so no one can drive into galaveston until the bridge can be driven over.

Those of us on the Ship are wondering how do we get out of galveston if all our cars are totalled.

Maybe I read your post wrong.... I might have interpreted it wrong as a "why should you care about the port when there are other things going on" if it were that case, then I would say that people come on these boards for the cruise topics, and they were just wanting to know about the port.

but as I read your post more, I can see where you are explaining the reason why we wouldn't know. Sorry to cause any trouble.

I think several of us are pretty jumpy right now. And I'm not known for being warm and fuzzy in real life either I'm afraid. Sometimes too matter of fact. And I am emotionally involved. Been freaking out since we were just there and doing the "what if we'd been booked for Ecstasy on Sept 11th instead of Sept 1st" thing. I'm one of those who have been glued to weather channel and news feeds for last 24 hours. Slept with TV on last night....or maybe I napped. I just can't believe that beautiful little island that I just left a week ago is undergoing this.

Hi, Im on Conquest and they told us yesterday the Coast Guard will go into the channel tomorrow and evaluate it for passage and if its passable they will determine at that time (late tomorrow) if we can go into Galveston. Monday will be the earliest we can go in. last we heard the bridge into galveston was under water and not passable so no one can drive into galaveston until the bridge can be driven over.

Those of us on the Ship are wondering how do we get out of galveston if all our cars are totalled.

Hoping you all will be okay. I am wondering what I would do if it were me. I parked at EZ cruise because they advertise "Highest elevated parking area of any cruise parking facility for protection against flooding" and realize that with four feet of water in the Strand mid-day yesterday, that "elevated parking" wouldn't have done much good.

Why aren't the news channels reporting on the Port of Galveston?

Because Galveston is in the throws of a hurricane and is flooded. The island is evacuated and no one has been able to get there. The water is up to the only bridge to the island. There is no way to tell the full damage to anything there until the storm has passed and the water recedes.:rolleyes:

Once that happens, the priority is to rescue the numbskulls who decided not to evacuate and now find themselves on their rooftops.

Keep an eye on Carnival's website and on the "Hurricane Zone" here on CC. As soon as there is anything to report, it will be reported.

There is a lot more to Galveston than the Port of Galveston.

I think Galveston has bigger worries right now than just the port. It will take some time to do a full damage assessment and I would imagine first priority, now that it's daylight, will be rescue and recovery missions ahead of damage assessment. I would think the port is not high on the priority list -- things like hospitals, power, infrastructure, etc., will be ahead of a cruise terminal.

Maybe a high priority for this website but in the overall scheme of things, not so much.

Thanks for putting this in prospective. People can have such tunnel vision, me included. I would also if I had a trip booked for the near future. But if you are going to book this time of year, and into the carb and or gulf, you have to expect the weather possibilities.

This release is a masterpiece of fiction by Carnival. You must not be watching this unfold on TV. :p

Of course I am...just thought I'd post the link for people affected so they could watch for the inevitable changes that will occur. :( No need for such biting sarcasm...I was only trying to offer some help...sheesh!

I don't see that the OP has a cruise out of Galveston anytime soon, so wondering why the question?

Not sure either, but glad they did, we sail in 12 days, I am in info overload, TV feeds from Houston on the computer and on the television, and Ike's rain is heading this way, maybe I should not worry about things I do not have control over, but curiosity is killing me.

Live feeds from 4 local NEWS stations in Galveston/Houston area. Great coverage and info.

http://www.maroonspoon.com/wx/ike.html

Prayers and thoughts with all people affected by this storm. I live on Panhandle of Florida, just north of Destin where IVAN hit. It's not easy, but we'll make it through. I just wish everyone would evacuate.

Carnival's site states that they expect the port to be open on Monday (I seriously doubt that!) and it says that both the Conquest AND Ecstasy are expected to return and then depart on the same day. What a clusterfutch THAT will be!!!!! It is terrible to try and get through customs when it's only one ship debarking, I can't imagine two.:eek:

Just saw a feed from a reporter driving around Galveston, looks like a lot of damage. We sail in 12 days, who knows if that is going to happen. We serve around 200 properties from Galveston to Dallas, many hospitals and nursing homes. We spent a week in Louisiana last week bringing people back on line, looks like the guys will be busy again next week.

I can see why the OP cares. We aren't going out of Galveston, but we did a month ago and now we hope that everything is okay. I hope firefly's car is alright. This whole thing is crazy. DH thinks they will have to stop sailing out of Galveston for a while.

Archived