30 lbs to New Years!!

Litewait

Well, I stayed the same... I'm excited to see how everyone else is doing ( 10 lbs is awesome Marlene) , I will need to up the water and the walking I guess.

To get to my diet goal "I'm Proud to Report that I didn't give up even though I didn't lose!!"

Height: 5'7.5

SW: 171

LW: 164

CW: 164

GW: 140 (hopefully by 12/29/08)

Good luck this week everyone, I'll be checking in through out!

Happy Cruising & losing~

Donna

NanaOfBKM - I started the South Beach Diet on July 12, 2008 and I've lost a total of 28 with no exercise so far. I started fitness yesterday and I will keep it up by doing strength exercises on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays and cardio on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I'll see if I can get the pounds to melt to melt away faster, but I think the 28 in 10 weeks is really nice. It would have been 30lbs, but in week 8 (on Sunday) I had Chinese food which put me back up 2lbs...I'll never ever cheat like that again - LEARNED MY LESSON!

I'm currently in P2 and to stay in P1 would have driven me crazy...but I did lose 10lbs in P1 and although it was water weight I did not gain any of it back. :D

You can get the ticker from Tickerfactory.com...I use it along with SparkPeople.com to track my weight day by day (yep, I weigh in each morning after using the potty). Why aren't we supposed to again? I don't get it...in order to see your progress it's nice to know what you're losing on a weekly basis, right?

Also, I had a glass of red wine on 9/11 in Manhattan and I gained nothing. I wouldn't ever drink a Corona although I love them, but I'll save those for the Glory. I cannot wait to get on the Glory. I am very excited!!!! I AM SO ESTATIC!!! Never been on a cruise before, but of course I heard it's WONDERFUL!!!

Oh and sorry for not being around, but I'm studying for my motorcycle written test, I've been on SparkPeople ALOT and I have been pinned to the political boards and blogs...I'm hooked (can't wait until the election is over so I can get back into CC)! Will check in here once a day to see if there are any new posts.

Are you out of your plateau yet? DON'T GIVE UP!!! They say when you get into that you should reduce or add something. Reduce your exercise and up your calories or up your excercise and reduce your calories. Which one works for you?

Litewait - I cannot stand counting points which is why I abandoned Weight Watchers plus I wanted to eat overall healthy. The South Beach diet is a diet that eliminates sugars and fats that contribute to weight gain. There are three phases to this diet and it's straight to the point.

P1 lasts for 2 weeks and you only able to eat veggies, protein and good fats...no sugar. This phase is the detox stage. It's supposed to rid you of the cravings of sugar. You can lose between 8-12 pounds in this phase, but it's not the case w/ everyone. I lost 10 while some others lost a little more or a little less or none at all. There is a "foods to enjoy" list that you have to follow in order for P1 to work.

Here is the meal plan for P1 (and it must be followed using the "foods to enjoy list"):

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/shoppinglist_p1.htm

P2 is the phase you live in until you reach your goal weight. You get to add in good carbs and sugars into your diet. There is also a "foods to enjoy" list for P2 and you also use the "foods to enjoy list" from P1. You can drop between 1-2 pounds per week in P2...I do. You can add in some of the "foods to avoid" here and there, but it must be a once in a while type thing...I do this too with a medium sized chocolate chip cookie, or two cups of Chinese fried rice, a mini cinnabon...

Here is the meal plan for P2 (and it must be followed using the "foods to enjoy list" including the foods from P1):

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/shoppinglist_p2.htm

P3 is the maintainance phase and in this phase you can add in all of the foods you want, but at the point you know exactly how to portion out your food and know what you can eat and what you cannot eat in regard to your weight gain.

Need any more specific details just ask. Note: SBD is not for everyone, but it's worth trying, you will cook more often, there are some SBD friendly processed food out there for quicker cooking and P1 is no joke. If you can get through P1 with flying colors then you have proven yourself to be focused and serious about losing weight.

And yes! Slow and steady wins the race!!!! I figure by Christmas I'll be down to my goal weight or maybe even under.

*Sass* - I've been on SB for 15 days. Lost 10 pounds in Phase 1 (same as you). That has me excited in that you lost 28 lbs in 10 weeks! 50 lbs in 6 months would be great. Congratulations and good luck!!! I do good sticking to Phase 1, except for an occasional glass of wine. I'm really scared to go to Phase 2, afraid my weight loss will stop or slow up to the point, I get depressed. I need to get my book out and try adding a few things, otherwise I may get bored. I go to Dallas for a meeting next week and will be tempted by all of these great dinners they have. Maybe if I brush up on Phase 2 I can find some options.

I was on a plateau from Sunday through Wednesday last week, then dropped 3.3 lbs by today (Monday). I also started walking today- walked 3 miles. AND I also weigh each day. It keeps me focused. I have an excel spreadsheet with my goals for the week/long term. By looking at it I can see it is possible to reach long term goals.

Weighing every day - you saw quickly that Chinese food really did you in. That's a big plus for weighing each day.

Marlene

Litewait: Good for you - not giving up even though you were on a plateau. I recommend South Beach, at least for 2 weeks to give you a boost. Sass and I both lost 10 lbs in two weeks. According to the doctors' I've talked to, this is one of the better diets for you. I am also drinking lots of water. I bought bottled water and keep refilling them. Keep several cold ones in the refrig at all times. AND I did start my walking today. DON'T GIVE UP!!!

To get to my diet goal "I'm Proud to Report that I finally started walking this morning, although I would have preferred to sleep another hour."

Those are great results you both have gotten with South Beach diet. (thanks for posting the links to it - Interesting to read what you get to eat) Down the road I may give it a try too. Your results speak for themself!

Way to go Marlene - I know its not too easy to take that first step out the door to go walk. One gold star for you ;)

Got those SF creamsicles - mmmmmmmm! Thanks for the tip!

Proud moment: Made myself a "food journal" to track every bite I eat. (and filled it in too!!!)

:eek: Nah I don't mean the wigged out face...I do appreciate your accountability check, Donna! Thanks!

Yes, I walked Saturday...only .66 miles & 17 mins...knee got sore...then Sunday @ 1 mile at 14.8 mins...easy sneezey..of course I was talking to my Mom on our Sunday Mom Talk Day (Mom's 84)....usually I clean the house while talking so walking was easy for me. Tonight...hmmm...might be harder...I had a couple glasses of wine...they come right off the top of my 1,400 calories per day, but they do make me sleepy after working and dieting all day :) I'll be good and walk...I am hoping that there is one favorite show per weekday night to walk to....Oh, yea..CSI Miami premier is tonight...I'm good to walk for sure!!!! Go Horatio...what a guy!!!

I am hoping to do an airboat ride in Miami...maybe Horatio will be winking at me somewhere out in the Everglades! Ha! Ha!

Monday Weigh In: 166 pounds. No gain...no loss...I gotta do better than that ladies!!! I did have a little trouble with birthday home-made carrot cake this weekend :cool:....Shoot, I do love sweets! I'll do better this week. I promise!

Talk to you Tomorrow!

AKSnowbird...

The Plumper Version of the Snowbird you find out here :)

P.S. BTW: I am so glad to be able to use the treadmill..I have been so worried that at 53, I would lose my walking ability after that knee surgery in April this summer. I really don't want to grow old, feeble, cantankerous, and fat...EVER!!!!:eek:

The SF creamsicles and fudgesicles are on South Beach! Says 70 calories of these at night is an option. That's my treat for the day. With SB I don't get the big sugar cravings, but if I do just need a little something - I get the 20 calorie SF creamsicle.

Good luck everyone as we start a new week!!!

Marlene

The SF creamsicles and fudgesicles are on South Beach! Says 70 calories of these at night is an option. That's my treat for the day. With SB I don't get the big sugar cravings, but if I do just need a little something - I get the 20 calorie SF creamsicle.

Good luck everyone as we start a new week!!!

Marlene

NanaOfBKM - I was afraid of transitioning over from P1 to P2 as well, but P1 gets really old afterwhile and you might go crazy because you're restricting yourself from the foods your body needs like fiber, good carbs, fats and sugars. Congrats on those 10lbs!!!! :D I need to get out there walking too!

Tips for transitioning...you start with one addition. I started with a carb and I started to add a slice or two (depending on the serving size on the bag) of 100% whole wheat bread to one meal each day for a week. Then that next week I added half a pink grapefruit to one meal per day for a week and then I added in another thing and then gradually you figure out what you can eat and what you can't espcecially if you weigh yourself everyday. Yes, weight fluctuations but it's not supposed to fluctuate and stay there...the goal is to get those 1-2lbs off per week. I'm sure you'll do fine! :D

Red wine is for P2 because of the sugar, but if it's not hurting you in P1 then by all means do it! I took a chance with increasing my avocado intake in P1 because I love avocado, but I did it by portioning so that it didn't affect my weight loss.

Going out to eat? Well, as long as you stick to proteins and veggies you'll be good. You'll want to stay away from high calorie/sugar sauces. Take grill over fried. Salad dressings you are only allowed 2 TBS. Drinks...a glass of red wine once a day is fine, take some small packets of Crystal Light for you because you can order a glass of water and just put a pack of CL in there to have with your drink. I think that's all of the tips I have. Oh and they say that your protein intake should be about 3oz per meal per serving...I always up that to about 4...it doesn't hurt.

Oh and Nana made a good poing!! DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER!!!! This helpw with weight loss and it cleanses your body of toxins. Does a number on your skin too. 8oz per glass = 8 glasses per day is the minimum.

mangotangopls - Here is the South Beach Diet in a nutshell. I never read the book, I got all of my info from the SBD message board and help from lots of the ladies and guys over there.

Phase 1 - (you can lose between 8-12 lbs. in this phase and if you don't don't get mad at yourself...keep going and ask for help)

Follow these meal plans each day for 2 weeks! The allowed and not allowed food lists are also on this page.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/shoppinglist_p1.htm

Just in case the allowed and not allowed food lists change, for updates see the message boards via this link because the ladies and guys there keep it updated.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29305

Phase 2 - (should be dropping 1-2 lbs. a week if not you're in a plateau)

Follow these meal plans each day until you reach your goal weight. You can eat the foods in the P1 allowed food list including the P2 allowed foods list.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/shoppinglist_p2.htm

Just in case the allowed and not allowed food lists change, for updates see the message boards via this link because the ladies and guys there keep it updated.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23029

Phase 3 - (this is the maintenance stage where you basically know what you can and what you can't eat and how much in order to maintain your current weight)

After you have reached your goal you can add in any foods you like granted you know what makes you gain or not. At this point you know your body and can keep those pesky pounds off.

Switching between phases when you need to happens. When you see that you have gained a pound or two and you don't know why, you take a food away or you take it all away and go back to P1 or back into P2. You'll know what to do once you've got SBD down.

Oh and I cannot live w/o the Quick shopping list for SBD.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/shoppinglist.htm

Also, I know that sometimes I might something that is not on any of the lists so I use a Glycemic Index to see how many carbs/sugars is in a certain food. The higher the carb count the worst the food is. There are lots of foods with low GI so try to eat those if you need to.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

And here is a great SBD recipe database: http://www.southbeachfriends.net/wiki/index.php?title=Recipes

That's all to it! :D

So it's Tuesday morning, I just read all of your posts, very inspiring. THEN, I jumped on the scale, not very inspiring! I have stayed exactly the same since my first post. 178 not an ounce less. I have slacked off on the walking, work hours have been long. I have managed to get the dogs to the dog park for an hour each evening. Not much exercise, but I sure enjoy the fresh air. I am sticking to my low carb program, I will maybe look into the amount of fat and calories I am eating and try to make low cal choices.

SW = 223

CW = 194.6

GW = 173

This is what my past week looked like weight-wise...

09/23/2008 - 194.6

09/22/2008 - 195.0

09/21/2008 - 196.0

09/20/2008 - 195.2

09/19/2008 - 195.2

09/18/2008 - 196.0

09/17/2008 - 196.6

I also track my nutrition and fitness on Spark People and I use a printable sheet as well http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38146 (just to have it two places).

Good job Sass. I appreciate the tips for moving from P1 to P2 and also for going out to eat. I prefer white wine so guess I need to transition to a red wine. Do you happen to know what kind of red wine we should drink - merlot, rose, etc. etc.

Cruise Fan: Don't give up! You may just be in a plateau. I find that when I diet by "watching what I eat" or "cutting back", I don't lose weight. I have to get on SB and stay focused. And remember the water!

Today I started by day of weight loss by walking 3 miles although I had many excuses not to do it this morning.

Good job Sass. I appreciate the tips for moving from P1 to P2 and also for going out to eat. I prefer white wine so guess I need to transition to a red wine. Do you happen to know what kind of red wine we should drink - merlot, rose, etc. etc.

Any red wine is fine...I like Merlot the best.

The scale moved.. I hit 163 today. Woo Hoo!! I have to weigh every morning, it motivates me to keep going.. well as long as it doesn't go up. Then I get depressed..:( I would love to hit 161 Monday:D That would be a 10 lb loss!!

Keep up the good work!!

Happy Cruising & losing~

Donna

Way to go Donna:) good for you.

I am really hoping to see some loss by Monday - the darn scale must be stuck. Am eating ONLY what I am supposed to and journaling every bite I put in my mouth. Aren't you supposed to drop the most when you just start. :confused: Have to remind myself that I lost weight this way before and I WILL lose it on this again. Who me? Impatient???

Hidy Ho.

Funny that I found you all today, just as I decided to get back to Curves. I joined their 6 weeks challenge today too....it starts next Tues. We are cruising in Jan, and yes, would love to lose lots by then. Mostly I want to get into shape. This is an adult life long struggle (can't believe I couldn't gain weight in my youth :eek: )

Not sure of my goals right now. Just to see the scale go down for now would be a good start.

Welcome Nancy!

You will find that this thread is pretty active - chatting each day. We are so happy to have you on this thread. We all have cruises coming up and want to look terrific, or at least better than we do now. LOL Then after the cruise, we come back and start it up again. We find that in the past we lose until we cruise and then we gain it all back. We are trying to find something special happening after the cruise than will keep us focused on our goals.

Marlene

My state of mind isn't very good today. First of all, I got results of lab work today and I have MRSA. If you don't know what that is, google it and you will see why I'm stressed out. Instead of walking tomorrow morning, I will be going around with a chlorox spray bottle, cleaning / wiping things off throughout my house. Fortunately, I have no active infection right now (RX has worked this week) so I hope I'm over the worst and it won't come back. Second, one of my daughters just separated from her husband and they have a beautiful 2 year old son. I'm trying to get through the day without any binge eating. Had a couple glasses of wine, which is understandable. Hopefully, I can keep it to that. OK - enough of the sad stuff......

How did everyone doing today with their diet and exercise plan???

Started off the day not too badly. At least I have a plan for lunch rather than just grabbing something at the fast food. I am going out for dinner, unfortunately, a pizza joint (not my choice), but I'll try to remember not to have the huge pasta meal I usually love there. Maybe a salad? Hmmm, I'll do my best!!

So many things on the go all the time, it's hard not to overeat. My choices are usually not too bad, but the volume...I just love my food too much.

I am so sorry to hear of the bad day and bad news. Storms always come along in some form when we are trying to something good for ourselves. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your health and your daughters family.

I think a glass or two of wine may have been calming and relaxing and hopefully you slept well. Now we can start a new better day.

The scales stayed the same for me but atleast not up!:) It's still 8 lbs less than when I started!

Hope everyone does well today!!

Happy Cruising & losing~

Donna

Marlene: Sending lots of good wishes your way for a quick recovery and better days for your daughter and her family. I know you are cleaning like crazy today but just don't wear yourself out. You need rest to get over any infection. Right now its more important to take care of you than worry about the dieting too darn much. Did you mention to the doctor that you are dieting?

I also am an eater when I am get down or depressed - I find myself going from refrig to panty when I am upset. So I do understand. Part of the answer is consciously realizing you are eating - sometimes I have to stop myself by putting cookies etc. under running water or down the garbage disposal - What a waste but it works for me. Work your way thru a box of SF creamsicles - very little damage there. ;)

I know you are feeling very bad for your daughter & grandson right now too. Had something similar in our family too but long term it was for the best. Keep in touch Marlene - we are here for you. Sending e-hugs your way!

Also, welcome to Newbie. And Sass thanks again for all the South Beach info. I will be trying SB for sure if I don't see some results shortly. Have to get back to work now but I will stop in again later today if I can.

Good day to all!

Welcome to any newcomer I've missed. We are all here for the same purpose - to lose weight before we cruise.

Thank you, Mango and Litewait for the words of encouragement. Actually the two glasses of wine must have done some good. Weighed this morning and I've lost 2 lbs in 3 days!!!!! Yes, the doctor knows I'm dieting. In fact I just had the dreaded physical a couple weeks ago and promised him I would be 30 lbs lighter by Feb. AND I did also eat a few extra SF creamsicles last night. LOL

Marlene

Archived