Bonaire Donkey Sanctuary

Ginger11

I was thinking that this might be a fun thing to do with my 4-year old son while we are in Bonaire in November. Their website says that they have a tour that will pick you up at the cruise ship dock and take you back afterwards. Has anybody done that? What was it like?

Ginger

I was thinking that this might be a fun thing to do with my 4-year old son while we are in Bonaire in November. Their website says that they have a tour that will pick you up at the cruise ship dock and take you back afterwards. Has anybody done that? What was it like?

Ginger

We were also thinking of doing this, but when I looked at their website I don't see the tour van mentioned today. :confused: If you do decide to take the tour please post up your experience. Our cruise is in December. Thanks

• 1 month later...

We were also thinking of doing this, but when I looked at their website I don't see the tour van mentioned today. :confused: If you do decide to take the tour please post up your experience. Our cruise is in December. Thanks

Hi When I looked at the website again. I couldn't find it either. So, I guess either I am going crazy, or I looked at some outdated information that has since been taken down. Maybe both. At any rate, my apologies.

The donkey sanctuary sounds like fun thing to do, especially with kids, but I am not sure how easy it would be to get back so I decided to sign up for the shore excursion to the butterfly farm instead. I get a little paranoid about missing the boat.

Ginger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My husband and I visited the Donkey Sanctuary last week and it was great. We had our taxi driver take us during a tour of the south part of the island.

The facility was so well put together and immaculately kept. The ladies who work there really love the donkeys - one volunteered to take us around to personally introduce us to the mothers and babies in the main paddock (visitors are welcome to go into the paddocks to meet and pet the mom's and babies). The donkeys are really friendly and sweet!

There's also an observation tower you can climb which offers fantastic views of the island (and the cruise ships), a small gift shop, numerous picnic areas and a road which loops through the main preserve area of the park where you can drive slowly and the donkeys will come right up to your car windows to be petted and be given treats (we brought breakfast rolls from the ship).

There are some heartbreaking stories about how some of the donkeys came to be rescued but they are in a great place now and the $6 pp entrance fee is well worth it and goes to a great cause.

By all means check it our if you are an animal lover - only takes about an hour to go through (depending on how much "bonding" you do with the donkeys!).

• 4 weeks later...

We took a taxi once we got outside the pier area. It's only about 10 minutes from the pier at the end of a long dirt road that runs along one side of the airport.

We incorporated it into a taxi tour of the south side of the island. It was $25.00 pp for me and my husband. We saw the salt flats, slave huts, flamingo reserve, and ended up at the Sanctuary.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived