How many times have you cruised to Bermuda?

Philly Steve

I leave sunday for bermuda and I have to wait a big boot thing, I hate it I am aloud to take it off a little when I am not walking, but the doctor is wanting me to wear it on the sand, I dunno about that

We were amazed at how we zipped through security when DW had the "Frankenstein boot." Oddly enough, my wife found it pretty easy to walk on sand, wearing the big contraption.

Have a great cruise and walk softly!!! :D

I leave sunday for bermuda and I have to wear a big boot thing. I hate it I am allowed to take it off a little when I am not walking, but the doctor is wanting me to wear it on the sand, I dunno about that

My DH did a lot of walking and his doctor told him he could take it off to swim. That saved the day! He had no problem walking on the sand. BTW, his doctor is in Hamilton! What a small world! I hope you have a terrific cruise.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I love Bermuda. I spent a Spring Break week there in the 80's. For a very short while, Bermuda tried to make themselves a spring break destination and had activities at different beaches each day for the college kids (I still have my spring break pass to prove it). I guess they finally decided that they didn't want to be a spring break destination full of rowdy drunk american college kids driving mopeds.

So I just got back from having 2 days there and I was hoping to remember places or landmarks etc. But all the pink houses sorta looked the same to me. Did remember the old church in St. George and being at Horsehoe Beach. Other than that, nothing really stuck out as being exactly how I remembered it. I had hoped to stop by the cottages where I had stayed back in the 80's, but didn't have enough time.

So to answer your question, the # of times I've cruised to Bermuda is now at 1. The rockiness of the ship getting there was really really bad so I would be hesitate to take another cruise there in late October.

We went on the NCL Crown..last year..(able to dock at Hamilton and St.Georges--a nice experience)....

Booked Bermuda #2...for October 2009...on the NCL Dawn... ( will be at Dockyard whole time)....

I agree Bernuda is an expensive place to visit...BUT-that is why doing it by cruising is great --("hotel" and food...all paid for !!!!)

and a big plus is the transportation system....making it easy to get around .....without expensive taxis...

Good Morning Colette,

Look at the picture of the week on the other site. That be us. (The group) Did meet up with Glen, who took the picture. Had a GREAT TIME.

Yep, saw it.:)

Glen is not the easiest person to meet up with. I know it didn't work for Renee' and John when they were there in May but maybe they saw him in Oct. He had an extra motivation to come to St. George since I had a package for him.;) I also met Cathy and Tom. I have a picture of them waving as we went through the Town Cut...need to post it "over there".:)

How was the weather? We already booked for next year since it was a good price and we got a nice amount of OBC. Plus, it's the last year we can go out of Phila. which is an easy drive. We're going Oct. 10 which has always been the week we've gone in the past. Water has always been nice then but it was REALLY nice this year in Sept.

How can you NOT have a great time in Bermuda? :D

Hi Steve,

A BIG tip of the CAP to YOUR PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES. CONGRATS. :)

Thanks Charlie. Maybe next year we can get our dream matchup and you can come visit Philly again!

Colette, that "Bermunda" pic still makes me smile. :D

• 3 weeks later...

We have cruised from Boston to Bermuda a dozen times.. starting when it was the Royal Majesty and then the NCL Majesty.. For us.. driving to the port, unpacking the car, getting on board.. and your on vacation...no muss no fuss no airfares.. I love the fact that it stays in Bermuda from Tuesday about noon to Friday about noon.. You can take the new high speed ferry.. or a bus around the island. The people actually like tourists and it feels like home. We love St. George and wandering the little cobblestoned streets.. and of course the Swizzle Inn.. that is a must

We have cruised from Boston to Bermuda a dozen times.. starting when it was the Royal Majesty and then the NCL Majesty.. For us.. driving to the port, unpacking the car, getting on board.. and your on vacation...no muss no fuss no airfares.. I love the fact that it stays in Bermuda from Tuesday about noon to Friday about noon.. You can take the new high speed ferry.. or a bus around the island. The people actually like tourists and it feels like home. We love St. George and wandering the little cobblestoned streets.. and of course the Swizzle Inn.. that is a must

Traveling to paradise without air is a dream come true, isn't it? A dozen trips, and you're still hooked!

I love that high speed ferry too. It's neat to look at Tobacco Bay from the water. :cool:

If nothing else I find it tiring getting to Florida to take a cruise ship. When I think I can leave my home at 11:00 and be in line at the Black Falcon Pier the latest at 12:00 after parking the car and going across the road to the terminal.. no wonder.. Also, getting off the ship in the a.m. and walking through my front door at 11:00 a.m. I've cruised from Miami twice and each time have sworn never again, started off going to Aruba for ships twenty years ago..but nothing and I repeat nothing beats driving to Boston..not even going to NYC. We are now cruising from Europe on trans-atlantics...but the cruises are two weeks long and we do a pre-cruise..Somehow or other on seven day cruises your rushing the first day and rushing the last day..and I don't find that relaxing at my age.. or any other age.. Have thought about taking the Spirit from Boston but I'm not happy about it being berthed in the Dockyard.. Sadly,, Bermuda isn't what it used to be!! The shops in Hamilton are gone and instead are office buildings..crime is up against tourists and locals.. Let me say I can remember when we first went there the Dockyard had nothing to offer.. now..I was amazed at how it's grown.. I can tell you that I've spoken to the manager of a famous china shop there.. and he does not want cruise ships in Bermuda..lol. He claims cruisers aren't spending the $$ that people who come to Bermuda and hotels do..Frankly, I did my share in shop and in Smiths, etc. and I'm not talking about little souveniers, but english china.. Until the Dawn cruised out of NYC the Majesty was the most re-booked ship NCL had.. Recently on a cruise back we stopped at a few of the Caribbean Islands and five or six ships in and thousands of cruisers being shuttled through the tourist area..what a turn off.. Beautiful Bermuda... Having our lunch on the patio of the Swizzle Inn with a fish sandwich, pitcher of Rum Punch or Rum Swizzle and hearing the Bermuda Symphony (ambulances)..I miss it..

I can tell you that I've spoken to the manager of a famous china shop there.. and he does not want cruise ships in Bermuda..lol. He claims cruisers aren't spending the $$ that people who come to Bermuda and hotels do..Frankly, I did my share in shop and in Smiths, etc. and I'm not talking about little souveniers, but english china..

:) Hi Parrot Mom,

You're soooo right about not flying. We've gone out of Philly the last 2 years and now DH is so spoiled he doesn't even want to have to drive to NY or NJ.

Now, about the shop owners who don't want cruise ships....it's a case of be careful what you wish for. After this last season, a number of the merchants in St. George(Carole Holding for one) are closing or consolidating their stores because they didn't have the "numbers" since there were less ships docked. The Swiss Connection at Dockyard is closing. Darn, can't find the article at the moment.:(

Of course cruise ship passengers don't spend the money people staying on land do but I think they spend more than they're given credit, the figure is around $178 each.

Do you remember we talked about the anytime dining on NCL?;) I ended up doing a b2b, first week with a friend, second week with DH. When the maitre d' found out I would be on the second week, he gave us priority seating anytime we got there.:)

The name of the shop is Blucks.. right near the ferry terminal. He had built a second and magnificent shop on Front Street, but I guess it didn't go well. NCL has been an innovater as much as the cruising industry doesn't want to admit.. with Free Style.. the other cruise lines give it other names like "AS YOU WISH" etc.. Princess and Holland America to name two.. The secret I think to NCL and the Free Style.. is to tell the Maitre de that you would like to eat (before 7:00) and what table or what waiter.. Hawaii is having a major problem with NCL taking their cruise ships out of the ports.. I loved St. George, but the last time we were there we found so many of the shops closed, especially Pollys? The other thing I like is that NCL sat in St. George the entire time..What we are finding on the European cruises that in some ports they do an overnight. We did an overnight in Lisbon and it was the highlight of our cruise.. two private tours to boot. Now, your saying.. I don't want to fly.. well.. with cruise shopping well we can do as well price wise as leaving from Boston. Yes, it is the air fare that is a killer, especially if y our doing one way fares. Some cruises t/a come back to NYC, Bayonne, N.J. (that's another story..lol) and if your lucky.. a few to Boston. B ut when I can book a TWO WEEK CRUISE on a new ship that isn't finished being built yet for under $1400.00 jezz.. Then again we are retired and cruising in the fall or December from Europe is a treat.

Archived