Cruise Critic Community
cruiseunderstars

Proposal ideas for a 7-day sailing?

Hi,

I realize this category is for honeymoon/wedding planning so please feel free to tell me a better location to post this discussion on proposal ideas. But I figured people here should have some good ideas.

I'm taking my girlfriend on a 7-day Caribbean cruise on HAL's Westerdam later next month, with the idea of proposing sometime during the week. I'd be interested in hearing opinions on whether doing it earlier or later in the voyage would be better, and whether on-board or on-shore would provide a nicer setting. I'm not looking for it to be a big public event since she wouldn't want that, but rather something romantic - maybe at the bow of the ship later at night? I figured by talking to the cruise director, etc., after boarding I should be able to do something nice for her.

Thanks! :)

I got engaged about a month ago on the Mariner of the seas!!!! :D We were on a 7 day cruise in the caribbean as well - it was PERFECT!!!! My fiance proposed on the first formal night in front of the photographer. The entire proposal was photographed! I know you want something private, however I LOVE the fact that we will have the pictures forever, and your soon to be fiance might as well. I would def recomend doing it as early in the trip as possible! We had the rest of the week to celebrate just the two of us before arriving home to celebrate with our families and friends. It was great :)

I think you should do it in front of the photogapher!!!:D :D :D

Welcome to our little corner of Cruise Critic and I think this is the PERFECT spot to get some feedback! My vote would be towards the beginning of the cruise so you can spend the rest of the cruise celebrating. I would think you would be a little nervous and have some anxiety about the proposal, so the earlier the better! Then you can enjoy the rest of your cruise and breathe! I love the idea of doing it on a formal night so you can get some great "engagement" pictures. We don't have any and it is something that I wish we had. I know that there is a proposal under the stars package on one of the cruise lines. Not sure of what it includes but I am pretty sure you could read about it and then arrange for some of the things by yourself on HAL. I am pretty sure that it included a rose for her on the big night, breakfast in bed the next day, etc...you get my drift. Also, maybe contact the photographer and set up a private sitting for some pictures? I am sure that whatever you chose, she will love it because it is YOU! Congratulations and good luck!

Barbie

Well I am sooo excited for you! Does she have any clue? Hope not!

My fiance proposed to me on our cruise last year/ He didnt have it planned on when and where but everything tuned out perfect.

It was in the middle of the sailing and we were in St JOhns, we took an excursion while in St Thomas. Were were given the choice to go snorkling or swim to the beach when we put the anchor down. We were the only ones that snorkled over to the beach. He did in the water and it was absolutely perfect.

When we got back on the catamaran a girl asked why I was on my cell phone in paradise and I flashed my ring...lol She stood up and made the annoucement and it was a party from there. I had so much fun.

We celebrated the rest of the week. I had a clue something was going to happen, but a few nights went by and I started to give up hope. Dont plan too much unless you think of something AWESOME. Sometimes it all comes down to that perfect time. Just have it with you.

Good luck and you better report back to us!!!!!

I'd vote for at the beginning, then you can use the rest of the time to celebrate together. :)

.....but......you better be sure she will accept.....or it could be a long 7 days.....:D

My fiance proposed on the second night of our cruise last December. We were both exhausted the first night. It made for the best vacation ever. The best part... we decided to have a cruise wedding by the end of the trip! Good luck!