A message

ryansmemom

Linda, I've been gone for over a week because my computer blew up. Still at the fix-it, but I just run over to a friend's to check my mail. So I don't know what happened here for you.

But please don't let anyone scare you away. It's happened to all of us ... certainly right off the bat I recall ME:) , Ziggy, Pudgesmom, even Sail!!!! I walked away twice and then said the heck with this! So now I'm here to stay and people can say what they will.

And, Michele, I hope you'll know this for yourself as well. No one's remarks should make anyone else feel they cannot express themselves here. There's disagreement everywhere ... why should CC be any different?;)

Of all times to enjoy this board, it's just before a cruise. So quit the lurking and join in and know that there are so many here who enjoy your thoughts, your beliefs, and your feelings and even if we happen to disagree with you, we won't slam you.

Does anyone realize that we are just typing?

This is not a face to face conversation where you can read someone's expression.

This is not a phone call where you can hear distress in a voice-- or an uncomfortable silence.

This is not even a handwritten letter where you can see the pen strokes getting stronger!!

It is typing!! It is instant emotion and unerasable but it is still typing to people who are either strangers or maybe acquaintances.

But we are all here because we are among the fortunate few who actually get a chance to go on a cruise ship. I wish that I could join you on a cruise to Hawaii just think how lucky we all are.

An email from a friend brought me back. Then I read the posts. I really appreciate all of the support and kind words from all of you who have responded to my distress. I had no idea, really. Thanks so much for your wisdom. And thanks for caring.

I am well aware that there are those who enjoy the game. I am also well aware that there are many of us who do not enjoy playing the confrontational version of it.

I guess I could develop a thicker skin, but I really like my skin the way it is. Although it leaves me vulnerable to being hurt, it also leaves me open to being very loved and very loving as well. Like Pandora, when the box is open all feelings are exposed. That is just who I am.

Again, thanks so very much. It's good to be back.

Happy Cruises everyone!!!

Linda

I guess I just don't understand the purpose of this. I went back and read the threads. One thing I found was the questioning of the honeymoon. Well, I didn't see it either and saw nothing wrong with asking where it came from. Yes, it was explained later that it was in a signature, but not everyone has that feature turned on so this caused questions on it.

As far as lectures go, many people post their opinions and at times the post can read like a lecture or their way is the only way or perhaps a critizisim. It may not always be meant this way but you should not get your feelings hurt when you post an opinion that someone disagrees with or questions. Look at Superstein and Revneal. They are in WWIII over dress code and I doubt if that war will ever end. Neither one of them are saying they get their feelings hurt.

I am sure everyone on these boards has considered themselves slammed/flamed at one time or another. I may even get slammed/flamed for this post but this is my opinion and that is the way I see it.

Agreed Roadwork. Always remember - its just an internet message board. Do not take it too seriously. Do not take what someone else says to heart. Don't be too sensitive over what someone else says. Its just an internet message board.

As I mentioned earlier - I get slammed at least weekly here and it doesn't bother me. I laugh it off. If everyone tried not to take things so seriously, they probably would be happier

Agreed Roadwork. Always remember - its just an internet message board. Do not take it too seriously. Do not take what someone else says to heart. Don't be too sensitive over what someone else says. Its just an internet message board.

As I mentioned earlier - I get slammed at least weekly here and it doesn't bother me. I laugh it off. If everyone tried not to take things so seriously, they probably would be happier

Wise Words !!!!

I used to post on these boards regularly. Then sometime in 2000 I irritated someone who made it his new life's work to torment me. He emailed me, called me, even wrote to me at my office. I felt stalked and frightened. I did not post on these boards for nearly four years.

Recently I have returned to the boards. I enjoy the information and sense of community. I doubt I would let anyone run me off again.

Please stay.

Carol, I know I'm glad you're back. I love your posts. And, Lynda, glad you're back:) . I'm thin skinned and vulnerable, too, and won't change anytime soon. I'm also sensitive and that's a good thing. So it's not that I don't get hurt by some postings on these boards, I just try not to take it to heart.

Now if I could just have my own computer back!!

Carol: Interesting story about the person who went to unthinkable extremes to hurt you because of something that happened here. It is absolutely astonishing to me that someone could have a life so empty as to cause them to take anything written on this message board so serious as to want to strike back at the writer in such a dangerous way. I am approaching my "mature" years and I still am amazed at the stupidity of some people.

I'm glad you were finally able to put it behind you.

I'm just past 300 posts here and what I have noticed is that board particpation is well managed by the vast majority of the posters, but that there are a few who make far too much of it and assign it what seems to me to be unreasonable importance. Addiction might be the right word.

All the above in my opinion. Not intended to be a lecture. Be gentle, please....or ignore.

Please don't be offended, but I thought it was absolutely hysterical when Peaches and that other guy came down on you about the "honeymoon" issue. I laughed and laughed! How could they have not seen that, and then upon being confused, not have looked back at the original post and seen it there as plain as day! I mean, really!

So at least the posts that hurt your feelings gave me a chuckle, certainly my mirth was NOT worth you being hurt.

I have a tendency to use sarcasm (or try to) and that doesn't work too well on the message board.

Next time try to laugh at how silly some of the posters are.

All the best

Please don't be offended, but I thought it was absolutely hysterical when Peaches and that other guy came down on you about the "honeymoon" issue. I laughed and laughed! How could they have not seen that, and then upon being confused, not have looked back at the original post and seen it there as plain as day! I mean, really!

Ease up Jackjenson. There is nothing hysterical about it. How could they have not seen that? Very easily. Many people have that feature turned off. I can still look at the original post and I don't see it either. If you go to edit options under UserCP you can turn off seeing signatures, avatars and pictures.

Another post on this thread also mentions this feature not being used and that is why some people did not see it.

I don't agree you have to have signatures, avatars and pictures turned on to comment about a post. As Darkrewser said you see all the text.

I am sure there are a number of people that have this feature turned off. I have had mine off since day one on this new board. On the old board there were numerous complaints about the size of the signatures and the big pictures. This feature solved the problem.

I like the signatures, avatars, etc. It tells a lot more about the "story" of each person. If you have all of this turned off, I think you miss alot. At one point, I turned them all off for some reason, but I quickly realized I was just just seeing words and not the personalities I'd come to enjoy. But it's a personal choice. JMHO.

One thing for sure and certain- a LOT of posters have the sigs, avatars, and images turned off. There were so many complaints about the length and size of these and CC would never have offered the option of turning them off if there hadn't been a lot of requests for it. I turned them off the minute this new board started. Try it, you'll like it. :D

I don't agree you have to have signatures, avatars and pictures turned on to comment about a post. As Darkrewser said you see all the text.

I am sure there are a number of people that have this feature turned off. I have had mine off since day one on this new board. On the old board there were numerous complaints about the size of the signatures and the big pictures. This feature solved the problem.

Agreed Gizmo. to me, signatures, avatars, etc are a waste of bandwidth. I too have them all turned off

It is good to be back. To tell you the truth, I was shocked tonight when i signed on to find that this thread was still alive!!

As far as the responses to my post on the original thread when I felt flamed, I felt badly for the original poster. The way I saw it, this nice newbie was going on his Honeymoon Cruise and wanted to know if it would be OK to offer to share a bottle of wine with his tablemates. I had this whole fantasy going on in my head about this. This was a great opportunity for celebration. Celebration happens to be one of my favorite things to do.(I learned that from my Dad.)

This was an opportunity for generosity, graciousness and celebration and here was this guy asking if it was OK to do this on a cruise ship with his new bride. So I jumped right in and said "Go for it."

Well before I knew it the topic turned into one of obligation and whether or not one would like the sort of wine being offered or if it was the right wine with the right food. I said to myself, what happened to the celebration, fun, generosity and grace? The poor guy just wanted to celebrate and feel good. He must be feeling horrible right now.

I wish I had his e-mail address. I would like to talk to him. I hope we haven't scared him away.

So, as I said, thanks so much for all of the support. I'm so happy to be back. And I am really going to Hawaii on the Statendam very, very soon.

Linda

This is typical of any board. People interpret what they read in different ways.

I see the original post as something entirely different. I did not read it as he

was asking if it OK to offer to share, but if it would be impolite not to offer and would people understand it was a personal bottle. The key words are NOT and PERSONAL BOTTLE. In other words my interpretation is the complet opposite of yours.

As far as the responses to my post on the original thread when I felt flamed, I felt badly for the original poster. The way I saw it, this nice newbie was going on his Honeymoon Cruise and wanted to know if it would be OK to offer to share a bottle of wine with his tablemates. I had this whole fantasy going on in my head about this. This was a great opportunity for celebration. Celebration happens to be one of my favorite things to do.(I learned that from my Dad.)

This was an opportunity for generosity, graciousness and celebration and here was this guy asking if it was OK to do this on a cruise ship with his new bride. So I jumped right in and said "Go for it."

Well before I knew it the topic turned into one of obligation and whether or not one would like the sort of wine being offered or if it was the right wine with the right food. I said to myself, what happened to the celebration, fun, generosity and grace? The poor guy just wanted to celebrate and feel good.

Linda

We are travelling alone (2 persons) and are sittting at a table for 8. If we order wine with dinner is it impolite not to offer the others at the table some wine or does everyone understand that this is a "personal bottle"?
All topics turn into a discussion on these boards, and most of the time all angles are covered. On this subject it would include obligation, the right wine with the right food, good manners and your opinion of celebration etc. I see nothing wrong with any of it including your opinions or anyone elses. One thing to remember, when you post an opinion there will always be someone who disagrees, interprets it differently or questions it.

These boards discuss every issue to death and then the subject rises from the dead and we do it all over again.:D

Archived