Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spikesgirl

I'm back with answers to your questions!

Charlie, I know you are bored and dying to answer more questions......

What about classes offered at sea in FP?

Well, I don't know about bored, but I'm always ready to answer more questions. There were very few classes offered through the 'Scholarsip @ Sea' program, two lectures on islands, one on ceramics. I didn't seen anything about computer programs or anything else. Might have just been a quiet time for the ship as it really depends upon who they have cruising with them at the time.

Do you have copies of the Patters and menus by chance?

I do, but the menus have not changed in the least since 2004 on the Tahitian...sigh...

I think I read somewhere that the Tahitian has Island Night in Raiatia. Is this correct, and how did most people dress. Any special food or activities?

I think I read somewhere that the Tahitian has Island Night in Raiatia. Is this correct, and how did most people dress. Any special food or activities?

The local ladies will sell head leis and regular leis at the entrance to the caberet lounge. There is a small show with the kids then, and a much larger one later that night. Probably had a band up on deck 9 as well, but we didn't venture out after dinner. Lots of tropical wear and leis that night though. No special food either. I think that night was the International Dinner (crepes, red snapper, salmon in prawn sauce, lamb rack and surf & turf(steak and shrimp).

Do you happen to know if there is a store near the docks where I can purchase a case of water before boarding???

There is a grocery store just off the main drag on Rue de Commandant Destremeau. It's not close, though, and you'd probably need a taxi to get the case home. There might be someone selling water at Le Mache, but to be honest I never saw anyone there doing that.

Why not just get a couple of bottles on the ship and then just refill then as needed? Each cabin has a refrgerator and will keep the water cold. The water on the ship is fine for drinking, there's cie water available in the buffet and it certainly is much cheaper than paying $4 a bottle in Papeete.

Jeannie

Neither do I. In fact, the pair of us shared one soda for one lunch on one day. They don't make any money off of us and the soda stickers. Water is plentiful on board and very expensive on land. We got into the habit of carrying our own on tour when in China - some vendors refill old bottles from local sources and sell them as new. It's just easier to fill it yourself and be done with it. They also have iced bottled water available outside the buffet on shore days and down by the tender exit/entrance.

Charlie, are the room safes large enough to accommodate a laptop?

No, they aren't. That is the one bad thing about the safes on Princess ships. There really isn't a way to secure your computer unless you lock it to the desk. Also, our touch pad was really worn, but the safe still worked fine.

Absolutely - in fact, we needed them to collect our luggage at the airport. We've never had our cards taken from us, but I know some folks have on other ships

Charlie,

I can't remember if I've seen this or not and I don't have my tips from Princess yet. Are the electrical outlets on the ship American or European? If European, is it the 2 prong plug?

Leaving in 10 days now. Wow!

Vicki

Vicki -

They are American. I can't tell you exactly where they are located in a regular cabin though there should be one in the bathroom and one by the desk. You want to trade? I'm opening "Cinderella" in ten days and it's pretty darn crazy at the theater. No? Just thought I'd ask...

Did you exchange any money before you left home? Did you use the LeTruck for transportation at all, and if so, will they accept American dollars. Do you recall how much it was?

One more question. If you exchanged money, where did you do it, how much would you recommend getting. We will have two nights at the IC before boarding the ship.

Thank you for all of your informative postings.

Did you exchange any money before you left home? Did you use the LeTruck for transportation at all, and if so, will they accept American dollars. Do you recall how much it was?

One more question. If you exchanged money, where did you do it, how much would you recommend getting. We will have two nights at the IC before boarding the ship.

Thank you for all of your informative postings.

Yes, Katie, we did $500. We did the transaction over the Internet with our bank and had the money sent to our local branch of B of A. We did exchange an additional $200 on the ship (not the best exchange rate though) and another $100 in Papeete at the bank just across from the ship. There is also an ATM there that will handle money exchange.

Le Truck prefers CFP. We didn't use Le Truck this time around, but did on our last trip. I'm sorry that I don't remember what the cost was, but it was next to nothing, like 500 CFP ($5.50). It's cheaper than a taxi, but make sure you check routes and times before you board, since there's one spot in Papeete that various Le Trucks stop at.

Hope this helps a little!

On the last day, if you stayed on the ship until time to go to the airport, were there towels you could use by the pool or do I need to bring my own with me?

I am assuming that there are pool towels for you to use as many of the disembarking passengers do some pool time. If you are concerned, just take along the towel from your cabin before you leave it the last time. There is absolutely no reason to pack your own

Word of advice, do not exchange currency at LAX. A horrible rate after the person telling us that LAX was the best. Not just the normal fluctuations but all around terrible. Wait until you get to Papeete. Better rates there.

And yes, you will have access to pool towels on your last day. Just as Charlie said, either take them from your room or ask the deck attendant for them while at the pool.

Charlie,

I can't remember if I've seen this or not and I don't have my tips from Princess yet. Are the electrical outlets on the ship American or European? If European, is it the 2 prong plug?

Leaving in 10 days now. Wow!

Vicki

Vicki,

There was an electrical outlet by the desk area. Be sure to take a multi strip surge protector. Helps with cell phones, camera's and such. There is an electricl outlet in the bathroom but you can't use any american items in there. It says for electrical shavers only but the plug I think is European. Not quite sure as I didn't need to worry about it.

There were some classes at sea. They had a scrapbooking class, ceramic class and there was a wide variety of computer classes. Most you had to pay for but some were free. From photoshop type to software classes.

It depends upon who's on the ship - there were no computer classes offered on ours. I went back through the Patters to check. Most our our classes were regional lectures.

Just got back last night from Tahiti, so excuse me if this is sort of short and has spelling errors.

Toto - spa showers are available - go to the spa desk after 11 a.m. on the day of disembarkation and Lee will set up an appointment for a shower. They are happy to do this and there is no charge.

Some else asked if they could use the spa features on that day - yes, Lee will set up a cash account for you, as will bartenders, shop keepers, etc. on the ship for the last day.

Flamomo - definitely the Huahine motu picnic. never heard anything but raves about it!

Gemini0923 - what to do on Bora Bora. You tender in to Vaitape, which is a small village. Lots of shopping options, there are free shuttles to various shops and excursions. you can grab a shuttle($5 pp) that will take you to the beach or Bloody Mary's (our's also took us to a grocery store on request).

Bloody Mary's is closed Sundays, no exceptions. it's expensive, but we did have lunch there - two entrees and two drinks ran us 5000 CFP.

Things to do in Rangiroa - there are some private excursions available on the dock, but it would behoove you to make arrangements beforhand. We took a taxi from Tiputa to Avatoru - it ran $5 pp and the driver will make arrangments to pick you up later. There wasn't much to see. You can rent a scooter or bike and pedal to your heart's delight. We went from the Kia Ora to Tiputa to the airport and back before we ran out of steam. I highly reccomend Rene's 'Shooting the Gap' excursion. It was 4750 CFP or $55 USD (he takes both, but no credit cards). What an incredible experience and he was very safety conscious. This is the island we would go back to at the drop of a hat and we psend a week there before the cruise. Loved it, loved it, loved it!

ATV tours - this wasn't something that I saw available at any of the docks we stopped at. All the tours were through the ships.

If anyone has any more questions, please let me know! I'll do my best to help out.

We sail on Princess on Dec.9 but our return flight isn't untill 10pm; if you transfer to airport with Princess can you stay on the ship until time to go to the airport? Thanks,Vicky

You can stay on the ship even if you don't transfer with Princess. Just make sure you allow about three hours for check in. You will have access to just about every area on the ship except for your cabin. We spent much of that day lounging about in the Tahitian Lounge; it was very quiet and we had a great view of Papeete. You can also arrange for carry-on luggage storage, showers, use of the pool and buffet. Other folks will arrange to do a half day tour in the afternoon.

It's rather funny as I just had a theater patron call me for advice on the Dec. 9 cruise and you're on the same cruise as she is. It's a small world.

Hope that helps a little.

Charlie,

Can you please tell me how people dressed on the 2 formal nights.

Thanks!