Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spikesgirl

I'm back with answers to your questions!

The first formal night, people dressed up. There were quite a few tuxes, and dark suits with shirt and ties. The women were dressed up as well, with either pants or skirts and fancy tops to dressy dresses. Did not see Many formal long gowns, heavy with sequins, but did see a few long dresses that would be appropriate for a special occasion, like a evening wedding.My men wore pants and sportcoats with shirt and tie. My daughter and I wore black cocktail length dresses, and my SIL wore black pants, and a nice top.

The second night, it seemed a little less formal. Sport coats,white shirts, and some without ties. The women were a mix of the first formal night. Seems the women like to get dressed up, and show off their newly acquired black pearls, The second night is probably a little more low-keyed due to the fact that, you are in BoraBora for the whole day, and not relaxing as you would for first formal night, which is the first sea day.

Charlie,

Can you please tell me how people dressed on the 2 formal nights.

Thanks!

Our first formal night was less dressy than the second, although we had someone at our table in a polo shirt and dockets the second night. Because of weight restrictions and the tropics, my DH opted out of a tux this time and brought along a white silk suit and a beige jacket for the second formal night. I wore a white mu'u mu'u (renewed our vows in it, so it is pretty dressy) and a black cocktail dress for the second night. No one at our table wore a tux either evening, but I did see a few -however, far fewer than a cooler weather cruise.

Hope that helps a little.

Do you have a picture of the renewal of vows? We had an older couple on our ship that got married by the captain during the cruise. It was the second time for him( his wife had died recently) and the first for the woman. Ran into them a few times and they were so very happy.they thought that there would be just the three of themat the ceremony, but all of their tablemates showed up as witnesses...How lovely

We just got back on Thursday from out TA cruise.

re: pool towels - - they are kept in big wooden cabinets on the pool deck. Used towels are placed in another wooden cabinet next to it. You should have no problems using the pool on disembarkation day. Breakfast and lunch are available in the buffet and the dining room, but dinner is only available in the buffet for departing passengers. Dinner starts at 5:30 that day, instead of the usual 6 PM. so those leaving can eat before departing.

re: formal dress - - There were some tuxes and long fancy gowns both times, but there were more wearing suits and short dresses or sparkly pant suits.

re: leaving for the airport - - we did not have Princess transfers at the end of the cruise. We left the ship at 6 PM and took a cab with 4 other passengers, and split the fare. It was $30 total ($5 each). The driver did not accept USD or Euros, but luckily one of our group had a bunch of CFPs. He paid and we all reimbursed him with USD. This driver did not charge extra for luggage, though I have heard that some drivers do.

We were lucky we did it the way we did. We got to the airport before the busloads of passengers started arriving, and were about 12th in line for check in. When the buses started to come in, the lines were very long. After checking in, we followed CCers advice and went up to the lounge on the 2nd floor. There's a bar up there, and you can buy soft drinks, beer, wine, and snacks at the counter. When the time came to go down and board the plane, that upstairs area was quite full. But it was cooler up there than downstairs. The windows were open, but there are ceiling fans to move the air around.

And for smokers, there is an area up there where they can indulge before boarding.

re: Exchanging money - - we did not exchange any, and except for the cab driver, we were able to use USD everywhere we went.

I had printed off a table of exchanges, and while not exactly accurate since the rate changes daily, it at least gave us a ballpark idea of what we should expect to pay for purchases.

I posted that table on the 11/9/08 roll call before we left, so if you are interested, it should still be there.

If you are flying to Papeete in November, you should get the black pearl gift that ATN is giving to passengers, since this is their 10 year anniversary. Those in 1st class and business got their pearls on the plane. Those in coach were given a card to take to Robert Wan Pearls, where they will cheerfully give you your free one. There are Robert Wan Pearl stores on several of the islands, and that info is listed on the card. We stayed at the IC Papeete for 2 nights before the cruise, and got ours there.

Hope you who are going soon have as wonderful a time as we did. FP really is a special, magical place.

Do you have a picture of the renewal of vows? We had an older couple on our ship that got married by the captain during the cruise. It was the second time for him( his wife had died recently) and the first for the woman. Ran into them a few times and they were so very happy.they thought that there would be just the three of themat the ceremony, but all of their tablemates showed up as witnesses...How lovely

We did our renewal vows in Hawai'i four years ago on our 25th anniversary. I think you might have gotten that we did it on the ship and I'm sorry to have misled you. I do have a shot somewhere. I have yet to figure out how to post a photo here though, so if you drop me a line at charliekirby@comcast.net, I'd be happy to send one - heck I'll send you our two formal shots.

Also, we received the free black pearls both ways, so ended up with four of them.

Hi! I may have missed it in one of your former posts, but what were most of the women wearing at the evening meal? I am trying to decide how much to pack and trying to pare it down a bit. Not easy! I have cut back my formal clothes to one skirt and two fancy blouses. Also, did you feel you needed a sweater in the dining room?

Thanks! We leave in less than two weeks, and have two nights at the IC Papeete. I am so excited.

No worries - I wore a tropical top with slacks, some ladies wore sundresses, mostly light airy blouses or dresses were the dress for the casual nights. I did take a wrap one night, but didn't need it. Just take along a light sweater (or a wrap) as it might make a difference where you are in the dining room. I did find the Cabaret lounge a bit on the chilly side a couple of nights as well.

Have a fabulous cruise!

I hope someone can answer this for me. I would like to know if dry cleaning is available on the ship. I have read commnets that it is available and some people say it is not.

Thanks!

You can stay on the ship even if you don't transfer with Princess. Just make sure you allow about three hours for check in. You will have access to just about every area on the ship except for your cabin. We spent much of that day lounging about in the Tahitian Lounge; it was very quiet and we had a great view of Papeete. You can also arrange for carry-on luggage storage, showers, use of the pool and buffet. Other folks will arrange to do a half day tour in the afternoon.

It's rather funny as I just had a theater patron call me for advice on the Dec. 9 cruise and you're on the same cruise as she is. It's a small world.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks, the info helps alot. Does princess offer tours on disembarkation day? Vicky

I doubt it, Vicky. I have seen no mention of Princess last day tours on the boards . If the local operators are not tied up with Princess, then it may be a good day to source a private one eg Marama Tours. You could get it a bit cheaper too.

Cheers,

Kinka

Princess does offer tours on that last day as so many folks are stuck in Papeete due to later flights. They aren't announced until towards the end of the cruise though and will be through Marama.

We did one that was also offered on the day of sailing, that was sort of a "highlights of ...." that was pretty nice. It included one stop at a lovely waterfall. The name was something about "paradise".

I hope someone can answer this for me. I would like to know if dry cleaning is available on the ship. I have read commnets that it is available and some people say it is not.

Thanks!

NO dry cleaning on the TA or the other R type ships

Nancy:D

Charlie, thanks for info on last day tours; we'll see what they offer.

Kinka, thanks for answering; we both learned something.

We both are getting so excitied! Vicky:D

No worries - have a safe and incredible cruise. BTW, these will be the same tours that they offer the day you are in Papeete, so you can check out their interaries. It's just a way for the ship to give you something to do and still collect a little more cash from you (opps, did I say that out loud?).

No matter what, a fabulous crusie awaits you - bon voyage!

Hi- glad I found this forum, you are all great!

Has anyone done the ship's circle tour on Raiatea? I was going to do this tour and then go on the ship's snorkel to the coral garden. Now I'm wondering if I should go with Bruno and skip the tour of Raiatea.

In Bora Bora, I was planning on the Lagoon Sail/swim on the afternoon that we get there. Now, I think I want to go with Patrick on our next day as well. I also want to see Bloody Mary's and possibly the Bora Bora hotel. How late does the shuttle run and how much time would I need? Would I need to do both or does Patrick give enough of a lagoon "fix" Do they both go to the same places?

I'm so confused- Help!

Rose

Just read about Damien in Bora Bora. Now I'm even more confused- Damien vs Patrick?

Help I'm running out of time.

Rose

PS- Im sure I'll be thrilled with anything that I do- just need feedback.

I just got back last night. I did Patrick's (of Patrick's Adventures) 1/2 day tour the last day. It's a 4x4 and I thought he did a great job - and cheaper than Princess 4x4.

I did Bruno's tour and the snorkeling was incredible at the Coral Garden. Unfortunately it is very shallow and impossible to avoid the coral- so quite a few scrapes. And I don't believe the posts about him leaving people. Somebody got the times wrong. 4 people on the tour looked at Marc's times instead of Brunos and they were 25-30 minutes late and Bruno waited for them.

I did Patrick's all day tour in Bora Bora. It was overcast and/or raining the entire time in Bora Bora and he said the views wouldn't be that good on the 4x4, but we did it anyway and they were still worth seeing - but think it did get a little brighter when we were there. We did 3 snorkle stops - 1 with sharks, one with sting rays ( sting rays would swim right into you looking for food - great fun) and last stop was lots of fish.

I highly recommend all those tours plus Marc's in Huanine.

I was told shuttles to Bloody Mary's ran until late at night, but didn't look for one after about 6:30.

In Rangiroa, booked a boat to the the Blue Lagoon through Kia Ora. Very pretty and lots of black tip reef sharks, but almost no fish. But, we got our guide to take us to a pass and did a really fast drift snorkle that was great.

Gemini,

Glad you had a great time and thanks for your response.

What made you decide not to go back to Moorea on the last day?

Did you wear fins while snorkeling? What kind of u/w camera did you use?

Did you wear anything to protect your legs while snorkeling? How bad was the sunburn? Did you need bug spray?

I'm from Richmond, a gemini, and going solo. Hmm, great minds, maybe we should meet.

I'm going 12/9, finishing up last minute "stuff" can't wait.

Rose

On our first day we all arrive throught the day so how do they do assigned dinner dining? Thanks,Vicky:confused:

Gemini,

Glad you had a great time and thanks for your response.

What made you decide not to go back to Moorea on the last day?

Did you wear fins while snorkeling? What kind of u/w camera did you use?

Did you wear anything to protect your legs while snorkeling? How bad was the sunburn? Did you need bug spray?

I'm from Richmond, a gemini, and going solo. Hmm, great minds, maybe we should meet.

I'm going 12/9, finishing up last minute "stuff" can't wait.

Rose

Rose - I'm going to sneak in here since it's nearly time for you to leave. I do wear fins while snorkeling, these are esepcially helpful in current, which you will experiwnce. We have an Olympus Stylius 850 SW which took fabulous phots above and below water. Also very inexpensive.

You should always wear sunscreen (ours was 70 SFP and we still got burned). The sun is brutal there and you need as much protection as you can get. As a rule, you won't need bug spray if you are on the ship at night - only if you are on land and away from the coast are mosquitoes a problem.

On our first day we all arrive throught the day so how do they do assigned dinner dining? Thanks,Vicky:confused:

Vicky -

When you arrive you are given a card and that will have your seating assignment upon it for that first night. It will probably be different from your regular seating, but not to fear - that will kick in the next day.