Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spikesgirl

I'm back with answers to your questions!

Lovcruisin - amazing that we're both from Richmond, a gemini and doing the same trip solo. We probably should meet!

I'll try to answer your questions-

Moorea - I could never work out an excursion on any other day because they wanted more than one person and renting a car alone was expensive. Plus- decided with the price of the IC, I should hang out there some.

I used fins for most snorkeling. For Bruno, I just use water shows because we walked for a ways and drifted back to the boat, but could have used fins for more control.

I had a Pentax 110 waterproof camera - good pictures as long as the fish were close.

I did nothing to protect my legs when snorkeling - only got coral abraisions in Raitea.

I don't burn easily. I always used 15 on my face, never used sunscreen on my legs, used a 4 some and 15 on chest or arms if I was out a long time.

I never used my bugspray, but borrowed some once on a 4x4 - forget where- and could have used it on 4x4 in Tahiti.

Catsbear - They gave out first night seating tickets when we boarded. Acted like early seating was only option. I asked for late and they gave it to me. I boarded at 2:15 PM and got my luggage at 10:45 PM. They had also taken my carry on, so I went to dinner with no shower in shorts and a tank top. Keep some stuff with you when you board!

Were you offered the 'bag of laundry' special while on the Tahitian? How soon did you get your clean clothes back, and were they pressed or just folded?

Gemini

I just bought the Olympus SW1030, So I'm set. I got the snorkel,mask and reef shoes but that particular dive shop didn't have short fins and I didn't think I needed long ones. I guess I'll be off to another dive shop. From what I understand, they have to fit you with your shoes.

I also don't burn, and still want a tan. I was afraid the spf50 block would be too much. Glad to know I can take less.

How many pictures did you take? Need to be sure I have enough cards.

Rose

Charlie,

I just saw your post(it flipped over to the next page) Thank you for your camera, fins and sun advice. I just bought the SW1030 but may want to reconsider the SW850.

I'll get the fins and probably take various sunblocks, I always take at least a SPF 50 to be safe. Sunburn is no fun.

Rose

And it takes mere minutes to really get burned. It always seems to surprise folks just how quickly you can get a first class burn in the tropics...or in the water.

The Olympus worked great and was very easy to carry - that's what I liked. It's nothing like the bulky Nikkon my husband favors and it fit easily into a pocket for land excursions.

Have a great cruise!

I didn't use the laundry service.

You can probably get by without fins. And they were available on some tours I did. My snorkle fins don't go over shoes.

I don't know how man pictures I took. I used a different memory card for each island (the delete all function on my camera scares me so I wanted to switch). I was always afraid the camera would leak or something and always started with a new memory card when snorkeling too. So, I haven't checked to see how many pictures I took.

Ok - I have to go finish unpacking.

I remember that they offer it twice. BAgs of laundry, all that you can fit in it for $15. no dry cleaning...i cannot remember if you had to have out before 9am , it would be delivered to you the same day. Anyway, you would definitely get it the next day. They offered it the first sea day and I think when you are in Raiatea. But it is offered twice. so fold those dirty clothes in to that paper sack and jam as much as you can....and forget about it.

I remember that they offer it twice. BAgs of laundry, all that you can fit in it for $15. no dry cleaning...i cannot remember if you had to have out before 9am , it would be delivered to you the same day. Anyway, you would definitely get it the next day. They offered it the first sea day and I think when you are in Raiatea. But it is offered twice. so fold those dirty clothes in to that paper sack and jam as much as you can....and forget about it.

We just got back from the Nov 19-30 cruise and had a ball. I could not beleave our room 7004 (penthouse) in front of ship. It was BIG and loved the wherllpool tub. Seeing that the ship went only 8 knots most of the time the wind on sea days was no problem. Had breakfest out side most of the days execpt on Bora Bora as it was raining at the time. Laundry was a brease for us as it was FREE. Sent out 3 times. Shirt and pants all back on hangers and the rest folded nice. We (3) came back with only 1/2 suitcase of durdy things. Great when you get home. The ship was great as we went to a weding of a cruise critic and then got a tour of the bridge. Also got a tour of the kitchen after one of the cooking things. What a way to spend 10 days and did not want to get off the ship. The crew is great and they took great care of my wife in the wheelchair. Room service was always on TIME. Then only thing that cost me was the $800.00 Black pearl for my wifes necklace and a set of Black pearl ear rings. But the are +A and got them on the ship. At one of the pearl farms the was a necklace that I asked the price for and told them no. ($32,000.00) us. Too much for me. Would I go back. YES

Hi, just returned from the Nov. 29th cruise and just wanted to say that we took 50 spf and both burned so be careful as the sun there is like a magnifying glass- the most intense that I have ever seen.

The cruise was wonderful!