O.K- I got the REAL scoop on security,liquor,etc

Kathylovescruises

The people who are xay your luggage are looking for weapons or other hazardous items, like irons or candles, not booze.

That's right- it is the NCL staff that is checking the same screen for boooze bottles. But the Security folks also need to check for large quantities of liquids that could be used for nefarious purposes. But i think wires and a box would catch their eye more than a rum runner.

The people who are xay your luggage are looking for weapons or other hazardous items, like irons or candles, not booze.

As they should be,I am more worried about items that would cause harm, not BOOZE.geez some people that are so upset with booze smugglers really should just stay away from the posts reguarding such.

So far as the spirit liquor smuggling and defrauding topic is concerned.

I have become increasingly amused how the trolls come out to play each time it arises.

When not indulging in silly fantasies the guilty brand those who observe the rules as being "unfair" "unfriendly" "intolerant" "holier than thou" "flamers" It is even suggested that they should not participate on the subject and stay away.

I am reminded of two things

First. My sister has a request in her hall that visitors do not smoke in her home. My cousin delighted in ignoring this request and thought they were so smart in so doing. Finally my sister having made several ignored verbal requests informed our cousin that if he was to continue to abuse her hospitality then he was no longer welcome in her home. Certain family members with warped logic decided my sister was in the wrong.

Second. The contents of an e-mail I received with an "Obituary" from The London Times.

It mourns the death of "Common Sense".

Since it is so apt to this topic I thought it worth recording just the final portion .

********************************************************************************************

Common Senses took a beating when you could no longer defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue for assault. (Note - Perhaps not true in the USA)

Common Sense lost the will to live when the Churches became business and hypocrisy the norm and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot spilled a little in her lap and promptly received a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded to his death

by his parents : Truth and Trust

his wife : Discretion

his daughters : Responsibility and Respect

his son : Reason.

He is survived by his 6 step brothers

Me Me Me

I know my Rights

I want it now

Rules and Regulations do not apply to me

Someone else is to blame

I am a Victim.

*******************************************************************************************

On the security issue. The shipping lines are irresponsible in their lax attitude to alcohol smuggled on board. Using rum runners and the various other so called "clever" tricks we read about it is as easy to smuggle explosive liquids (no wires or anything else needed) on board as it is to smuggle alcohol. This is the very reason airlines strictly restrict the liquid amounts carried onboard in hand luggage. Once I could have said it was just common sense

Just home from 11 days on the Sun, Mexican Riviera. On embarkation day, we had received our 3 bags in a timely manner. the 7th bag was a zip-up duffel containing 2 six-packs of Diet Coke and 2 of water. It didn't show up until late in the evening...I'm confident they were suspect of what it contained, but since it was obviously easy to check, they opened it, saw what it was, and sent it up. Another CC'er had to go to the naughty room to retrieve a piece of luggage. They asked her to open it, then went through it and found the suspect item, a bottle of nail-polish remover. They sent her on her way with apologies.

The lesson is that they do check and they are pretty darn thorough. If you are very clever I have no doubt you can get around it. For me, that's just too much like hard work. ;)

It didn't show up until late in the evening...I'm confident they were suspect of what it contained, but since it was obviously easy to check, they opened it, saw what it was, and sent it up.

They cannot open your bag unless you are present.

They cannot open your bag unless you are present.

Is this just for ships as the airlines do it all the time. Ever get home from a flight and find a note in your luggage saying it was inspected? I assume it is the TSA and not the airline.

Just curious,

Duane

Is this just for ships as the airlines do it all the time. Ever get home from a flight and find a note in your luggage saying it was inspected? I assume it is the TSA and not the airline.

Just curious,

Duane

Awinker is correct, they do not open your bags unless you are present. That is why they call you to the naughty room and ask you to open it. Airlines are different.

Nita

Awinker is correct, they do not open your bags unless you are present. That is why they call you to the naughty room and ask you to open it. Airlines are different.

Nita

so true I was sent to the Naughty room for Pepsi :D

This last Saturday night on the Pearl while packing to come back home on Sunday I was trying to decide where to pack the things we had purchased on the cruise. Suitcase or a carry on bag.. I decided to try to get every thing in the carry on bag. (we don't purchase a lot of things any more when traveling due to the luggage restrictions the airlines have). So I packed a wooden box we bought in Roatan - it is so beautiful I kick myself for not buying several of them- , also a wicker box we bought on NCL's private island that has five leather coasters in it, and a bottle of Mexican Vanilla I bought for my "mother-in-law" in Cozumel. Well.. I had totally forgotten about the limit of liquids you can carry onboard. I walked though the scanning machine at Miami's airport security and was waiting for the little carry on bag to clear the xray machine when I saw the lady's eyes get HUGE when she scanned my bag. Well.. she called another lady over to take me and my bag over to a search area and go through my bag. I kept thinking the whole time what was it that had triggered them to be suspicious. Going over every thing mentally. I could think of that I had put in the bag. I had totally forgotten about the vanilla.. Well.. they searched my bag and said.. ok. thank you.. and sent me on my way. Never saying a word to me. I would have NEVER packed the vanilla in my carry on had I thought about it. I do not like to break rules and do not ever try to do it and get away with it.. just glad I was able to get that vanilla home for my MIL.. lol.

On my last NCL Jewel cruise I not only pre-ordered about $300.00 of booze and mix via the conceirge - but I brought on a case of Wine in

a professional travel wine case

So naturally I was summoned to the 'Naughty Room'

I will admit - at first I was kind of snobilly ticked off about having stand in a long line to deal with this or to have to deal with this at all - (I tried to have my butler get it for me) - but he said only I could deal it it

So indeed I stood in line for about 50 min with a group of people of all ages - sex - colour - race and nationality (point being it's not just 18-25 yr old amercan boys who smuggle booze onto cruiseships) none of whom could figure out why they were standing in line outside this room and

what possibly could have been found in their luggage

(lol)

I would say 90% of those in line near me got caught with smuggling something - especially those protesting most vocally about the invasion of privacy and waste of their time were also the pax sneaking in the most amount of booze

When I got to my wine case - I just offered to pay the $180.00 USD -

the NCL searchers were so 'relieved' - it seems everyone else there was giving them a very very hard time - the staff just kept thanking me profousley for being so 'reasonable'

(lol)

I must say I kind of enjoyed my 50 min in line - I met some cool and funny people - and I got to people watch in the most strangest way - not to metion got to tell colourful story during dinner - while sipping a Beaucastel (CNueF) Du Pape 1998

jc

Toronto

Oh trust me they are looking for booze also. At our cruise critic's meet and greet we had to bring a gift from our state so I brought a small bottle of maple syrup and security had me open it to make sure it wasn't booze.

Archived