Active Pursuits in the Canary Islands

booterfloo

I am traveling to La Palma & Lanzarote on my cruise in December. The cruise's excursions don't really have anything active besides hiking. I was hoping to do something a little more adventureous. I have heard about paragliding and spelunking in the Canary Island, and I have visited the links mentioned in the Lonely Planet guide, but they do not seem to have any details. Has anybody tried anything a little more daring on those 2 islands. I only have a few hours in each island. Thank you for your help!

Are you a scuba diver? La Palma has some great dive locations, most of which can be reached from an easy beach entry, rather than a boat. You will see a fascinating underwater landscape created by the volcanic activity of the region. The waters are clear, and there are vertical walls, woods of black corals, and underwater meadows consisting of bright yellow tube sponges, as well as many different types of marine life such as garden eels, lizard fish, barracudas and rays.

If you haven't been diving before, you can do a short "Discover Scuba" where you take an hour or so of training, and then do a couple of supervised dives.

Here's a link to a dive shop on La Palma:

http://www.la-palma-diving.com/cms/sunfire/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Archived