Live From The JEWELL Of The SEAS

Trainman-2 :) :)

I am loving this "LIVE" report more every day !

Keep it up ! I also find myself checking on your reports MANY times per day. . .

WOW. . . I love it !

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Great pictures! Sounds like you are having a great cruise.

A couple of smoking/non smoking area questions:

*Is the Schooner Bar smoke free or does it have a smoking area?

*Same for the Champagne Bar

*Same for place where pool tables are.

Thanks and enjoy the rest of the cruise!

The following bars have smoking areas...

- Pool & Sky Bars

- Safari Club, Deck 6

- Sports Bar, Deck 6

- Vortex, Deck 13

I will try to check on the pool table area for you...

Is the internet speed that bad? I was thinking of bringing my laptop on next week's cruise to use on the internet. But if the system is real bad, I'll just pass on bringing it.

Thanks

Phil

This is a hard question to answer because it depends on what you want to do.

I am looking at three variables...

- The Ship's Systems

-- Cyber Cabin is dial-up but I am posting now using it in my cabin and it costs $10/day

-- The Ship's WI-FI costs $.33/min for a $50 / 150 minute package.

- PhotoBucket seems to be the most frustrating. It has very slow periods and is in one as I type. Normally when PhotoBucket is "right" I can upload a photo in 30-45 seconds, even from the dial up system. Right now is is just not taking uploads.

- Cruise Critic has its slow times also but at the moment is working perfectly.

- I have not been able to log onto the Corvette Forum since I boarded the ship and I don't know why.

In summary, bring your laptop and give it a try. The very worst is that it wont work.

Note that you have to send you laptop through the metal detectors by itself, out of its case.

Great Report!

Did you bring along your Tux or can you get by with a Dark Suit!

What to wear in the Dining Room has become a "sticky" question. We have noticed a tendency to "Dress Down" over the last few years.

We commonly see people in jeans, shorts, and tee shirts in the Dining Room on this cruise. With an older crowd I would have expected more dressing up.

Carol & I discussed what to wear at length. For us, for me to bring my retired Army Officer Dress Blues with the shoes and for Carol to bring two formal outfits with shoes would have meant one additional suitcase,a "Hangup" type bag.

It would have fit in the Corvette but we decided against it.

I brought a nice dark blue sport coat with a white dress shirt and two ties and Carol brought two longish skirts and assorted things to go with them. I wear nice slacks every night in the Dining Room, normally with a pull over shirt with a collar. On the formal nights I wear the sport coat and tie.

Cartagena, Columbia

Both the Cruise Critic and the PhotoBucket sites are working well this morning so I am getting caught up on uploading photos...

Cartagena was the main port for the Spanish during the colonial era and has a lot of history. Anyone visiting should do some historical research on the Port.

The night before we went there, we heard from a lot of people that it was "dangerous" and that everyone should travel in groups. People we talked with who took one of the tours said that they had an armed guard on their bus.

When we went ashore, Carol removed her rings and all I carried was our Sea Pass, Driver's License, and cash. (Better safe than sorry)

Here is a series of photos approaching the port.

DSCN7802.jpg

Being a "history nut" I took lots of photos of the old fortifications and here are the two we sailed between at one of the two main entrances to the harbor.

DSCN7805.jpg

DSCN7810.jpg

We saw this sailing ship at anchor as we entered the harbor.

DSCN7813.jpg

And here is the City of Cartagena as we approached it.

DSCN7819.jpg

Cartagena, Columbia (Part 2)

We docked at a pier in the commercial port area but all of the tour buses and free shuttle buses were lined up waiting for us.

DSCN7824.jpg

DSCN7825.jpg

When we got off the ship, the pier area was a mad house with everyone running around trying to find their tour bus. But RCI had people on hand to answer questions and get everyone onto the right bus and the area soon emptied out.

DSCN7835.jpg

The "white roof" on the right in the photo above is the tourist shopping area and when you walk through it you come to Thebes and taxi area.

There were several locals there brokering buss and taxi rides and with a lot of the traditional screaming and shouting and arm waving, we hired a taxi for a $50 tour of the city.

By know you know that Carol and I have trouble walking long distances so we had the driver give us a riding tour of the city. He was half way decent with speaking English and over about two hours we saw the entire City. I didn't get out to take photos.

One interesting note. There are a series of streets that ring the city along the water front. The tides were so high and the streets so low that we often drove through some block long puddles. I can't help but wonder how long the taxi will last driving through all of that salt water.

When we got back to the pier side shopping area we checked out all of the stuff but didn't buy anything.

I took this photo of a painting of an Old Walled City Street on the way back to the ship.

DSCN7838.jpg

Last night when we returned to our cabin after dinner I opened the door for Carol and held it open for her to go into our cabin and she stopped in her tracks and said "Red Dog"...

When I got in, there was a towel animal that really did look like our Dachshund, Red dog.

DSCN8089.jpg

Here is a photo of Red Dog and her new little brother and play buddy, Spotty Dog.

08Sep14-02.jpg

It sort of made us home sick...

My Camera...

I am using a Nikon, COOLPIX, P4.

I like it because it is small and fits easily into my pants or shorts pockets. I keep it set for low resolution photos (640 x 480) but can quickly change it to high resolution (3264 x 2448) if I see a shot I might want to print or enlarge when we get home.

The low resolution photos post "just right" on the Internet and I don't have to waste connection time changing their display size.

Here is another lucky shot of the moon this morning. I cushioned the camera on my fingers resting on the railing of our balcony which held the camera still enough for the shot to not be blurred.

DSCN8093.jpg

And another a few moments ago as the moon is almost ready to set.

DSCN8095.jpg

The Trainman Knows Trains...

And lots of Panama Canal tidbits too...

The locomotives they use to pull the ships through the canal are called "Mules" because in the early days they actually used mules. the "Mule" below is one of the third groups of locomotives used at the canal and the most modern. They have storage batteries and a small diesel generator but they primarily draw their electric power from what train guys call a "third rail."

DSCN7926-1.jpg

Here is a shot looking straight down at the track. At the top of the photo is a "slot" and the locomotive extends an electrical pickup down into the slot to pick up electric power. In the center, between the two rails is something that sort of looks like a "ladder." This is part of the "Cog" system. The locomotive has a special gear called a "cog" that extends down below it and engages the long "ladder like thingie." Without this, the locomotives would not have the traction needed to pull the ships or go up and down the hills along the canal.

DSCN7935.jpg

Here you see one of the "hills" or grades along the canal. The track on the right is called a "run around" track and used when one of the locomotives needs to run around locomotives on the track closest to the canal. Note that this run around track only has the cog system between the rails on the hill. Without it, the locomotive wheels could not provide the traction to go up the hill.

DSCN7937.jpg

Here is a photo of the second series of "mules" all stored out of the way until they are eventually scrapped.

DSCN8063.jpg

More Panama Canal Tidbits...

The Water Bridges...

The Water Bridge (called that because it is close to water level) is the only place for cars or trucks to cross the canal on the Atlantic side.

It is just outside of the lower lock gates and can only be used when a ship is not passing through. There is one for each side of the canal and they swing out using hydraulic power and lock in place.

DSCN8055.jpg

Here is a closeup where you can see the swing mechanism.

DSCN8058.jpg

And cars and trucks waiting to cross.

DSCN8056.jpg

Trainman,

You are doing such a thoughtful and much aprreciated job of letting us all sail with you. I feel bad for bothering you with a question that won't mean anything to probably anyone else but....here goes:

When you were traveling though Cartagena, did you happen to see the Hard Rock Cafe? I know from the Hard Rock website, that there is one in the city, but even after emailing them, I can't figure out how close it is to the port/dock area. My DS (17) is a huge fan and we have been collecting memorabilia for years. This is a wonderful opportunity for us to get a "rare" souvenir, but we're afraid to go off on our own to find it.

Did you see it and was it close ? Or should we just try to find a crew member and pay him to go ashore and get one for us?

Thanks again for all you're doing!

- Clancy

Train Man - LOVING your live posts!!! Thanks so much for the history lesson - learned a lot from your knowledge :)

I'm heading out for the Mariner on Sunday, and although I won't be travelling to Panama - I can't wait to get on the ship after looking at all of your pictures!!!! :D

Thanks again for taking the time to post!!!!

Trainman,

You are doing such a thoughtful and much aprreciated job of letting us all sail with you. I feel bad for bothering you with a question that won't mean anything to probably anyone else but....here goes:

When you were traveling though Cartagena, did you happen to see the Hard Rock Cafe? I know from the Hard Rock website, that there is one in the city, but even after emailing them, I can't figure out how close it is to the port/dock area. My DS (17) is a huge fan and we have been collecting memorabilia for years. This is a wonderful opportunity for us to get a "rare" souvenir, but we're afraid to go off on our own to find it.

Did you see it and was it close ? Or should we just try to find a crew member and pay him to go ashore and get one for us?

Thanks again for all you're doing!

- Clancy

Have you tried google maps or mapquest?

Here is the address

Hard Rock Cafe Cartagena

Cra. 7 No. 32

10 Plaza de la Aduana

Cartagena, Colombia

What to wear in the Dining Room has become a "sticky" question. We have noticed a tendency to "Dress Down" over the last few years.

We commonly see people in jeans, shorts, and tee shirts in the Dining Room on this cruise. With an older crowd I would have expected more dressing up.

Carol & I discussed what to wear at length. For us, for me to bring my retired Army Officer Dress Blues with the shoes and for Carol to bring two formal outfits with shoes would have meant one additional suitcase,a "Hangup" type bag.

It would have fit in the Corvette but we decided against it.

I brought a nice dark blue sport coat with a white dress shirt and two ties and Carol brought two longish skirts and assorted things to go with them. I wear nice slacks every night in the Dining Room, normally with a pull over shirt with a collar. On the formal nights I wear the sport coat and tie.

I've rented a tux for our cruise onboard the Jewel. What was the percentage of tux wearers against suits on formal night? Bringing a suit will not create extra baggage for us.

Great Question as I would love to just bring a Dark suit and not have to fool around with my Tux (if it even fits). I don't want to be out of place on formal nights but I know that getting a tux for my three boys would not be something too exciting for me to do.

What does the onboard Tux rental cost? Does that include shoes or can you skip their shoes. I don't like wearing anybody elses shoes.

I've rented a tux for our cruise onboard the Jewel. What was the percentage of tux wearers against suits on formal night? Bringing a suit will not create extra baggage for us.

Great Question as I would love to just bring a Dark suit and not have to fool around with my Tux (if it even fits). I don't want to be out of place on formal nights but I know that getting a tux for my three boys would not be something too exciting for me to do.

What does the onboard Tux rental cost? Does that include shoes or can you skip their shoes. I don't like wearing anybody elses shoes.

So my tux question is..... do you have to prebook the tux or can we just turn up to a place on board? SO doesn't know we are cruising and we'll be flying in from the UK. Unless I can get his measurements to pre-order, or sneak his tux into my case, he may be tuxless.....

You are a star Trainman..... a real star.

Archived