Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charleyann

What To Do? Urgent...

This will be me and my son's first cruise. We are taking a shorter cruise , this will let us know if this is for us.

My 12 year old son suffers from cystic fibrosis and juvenule rheumatoid arthritis. He uses a scooter for endurance, when he is in flareups or when he has shortness of breath with excerbation from his CF.

The TA with Carnival forgot to send us to special guest services. He didn't book an acessible room. I only found out when I read travel documents and it said anyone with special needs must inform special services.

I called immediately. No accessible rooms available. Just in interior with no window. I paid for cabin view and both my son and I would not tolerate being in a room with no windows. The thought kills me! If the ship is going to sink....I would much prefer to know and see what direction I'm headed .(LOL)

Carnival went on to say doors are only 22" wide. My son's scooter is 24" wide. Please tell me, can you turn a scooter around in the ocena view rooms? It is bad enough we have to strip his scooter down each time we need to go in and out of the room. It ticks me off even further, since this cruise for Dec 1/08 has been booked since February!

Already, this first time experience is starting out bad!!!! Is there a possibility a handicapped room will open?

Charleyann

This will be me and my son's first cruise. We are taking a shorter cruise , this will let us know if this is for us.

My 12 year old son suffers from cystic fibrosis and juvenule rheumatoid arthritis. He uses a scooter for endurance, when he is in flareups or when he has shortness of breath with excerbation from his CF.

The TA with Carnival forgot to send us to special guest services. He didn't book an acessible room. I only found out when I read travel documents and it said anyone with special needs must inform special services.

I called immediately. No accessible rooms available. Just in interior with no window. I paid for cabin view and both my son and I would not tolerate being in a room with no windows. The thought kills me! If the ship is going to sink....I would much prefer to know and see what direction I'm headed .(LOL)

Carnival went on to say doors are only 22" wide. My son's scooter is 24" wide. Please tell me, can you turn a scooter around in the ocena view rooms? It is bad enough we have to strip his scooter down each time we need to go in and out of the room. It ticks me off even further, since this cruise for Dec 1/08 has been booked since February!

Already, this first time experience is starting out bad!!!! Is there a possibility a handicapped room will open?

Charleyann

Charleyann... could you please email me? I don't know if I can help but I'd like to try.

As for the accessibility of a standard cabin as opposed to an HC cabin I'll have to leave that to someone else to answer. One of my friends has experience with HC cabins. I'll try to get her to answer...

Mach

First I would be very upset with the TA if she knew about your son...but the good news is Handicap cabins do open up...Make sure your on the list and have your TA call daily.

Sandy

Hi Charleyann - Sorry your having these problems. I know we have a quite a few people that know about the accessible rooms on Carnival. You may also want to check on the board dedicated to cruising with diabilities for more suggestions: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Mach knows some people on the inside so hopefully he'll be able to help...

I know people get bumped from their cabins when they have a cabin that holds three to four people and they have only two people. I can't imagine Carnival wouldn't bump someone from a handicapped accesible cabin when another passenger needs it (provided they themselves don't need it). Everyone I know that has been bumped has been upgraded. Have your TA call again and explain the situation. I believe in Carnival and they will do what they can to accommodate you and your son. Let's hope your TA comes through for you.

First I would be very upset with the TA if she knew about your son...but the good news is Handicap cabins do open up...Make sure your on the list and have your TA call daily.

Sandy

I was upset. He also did this on our already cruise booked for Dec 6/09 . A seven night cruise!:eek:. Special services were able to change that and book an acessible cabin.

Host Mach: I will email you!

Many Thanks

Charleyann

I'm sorry to hear about that Charleyann, that would throw a damper on the vacation before it even started...

I hope everything gets resolved for you and your son!

We had a HC cabin on the Spirit a few years ago. We went guarantee( neither one of us is HC thank god) but we were told even tough we had the cabain( given to us at the port) if some one that needed it came we would be moved. I would have gladly done that had they needed it.

The entrance door is wider and has a nice transition strip so it is nice roll in entrance.

I hope everything works out for you and you kids

You need a HC cabin. For one thing Carnival cabins, all that I have been in, have a step up into the bathroom. The HC cabins wouldnt have the step up and the shower will accomodate a wheelchair which you can get from the purser's desk if your son can get into one. It will also have a seat that flips down from the wall. The toilet seat will be raised etc.

If your son needs a HC cabin, a regular cabin wouldnt do that he cant even get the scooter into the doorway. The doorways are all the same for regular cabins. Getting a different category wouldnt help.

Thank you all for you support! This is the first time doctors have allowed my son to travel further from the states. He has had 300 plus admissions to hospital and he has finally had a 1 1/2 years of no hospitals and he has been stable!

He is so very excited. We are going to Do the Royal Dolphin Swim, Snuba and the Seatrek excrusions!(Cozumel) He is truly a water kid and loves anything ocean! The water is good for both his lungs and arthritic joints.

I hope this all works out!

Charleyann

Thank you all for you support! This is the first time doctors have allowed my son to travel further from the states. He has had 300 plus admissions to hospital and he has finally had a 1 1/2 years of no hospitals and he has been stable!

He is so very excited. We are going to Do the Royal Dolphin Swim, Snuba and the Seatrek excrusions!(Cozumel) He is truly a water kid and loves anything ocean! The water is good for both his lungs and arthritic joints.

I hope this all works out!

Charleyann

My heart, thoughts & prayers goes out to you.

I couldn't even imagine what you're going through.

I was booked (last minute) in a HC cabin & was very clear in the event that someone w/a disability needs it they'll switch our cabin immediately.

I reminded them @ check in but never needed it.

I suggest u call Carnival directly so they can switch someone who might be booked in this cabin, and not need it, to a regular one.

Good luck!

And I wish you & your family the best on this unforgettable vacation.

May you have many warm memories.

P.S. Post a review & some pics afterwards.

We'd love to hear all about his water adventures.

God bless u. :)

WOW,,,if anyone can help you its Mach,,,so you've already got the best on your side,,,

I'll be praying for you,,,,does your son need it to take only a few steps or only for distance? Because there were many who left their scooters in the hall outside their cabins on my cruise because they could get around in the small cabins without it,,,, Nobody bothered them at all,,,,,

As an ex-travel agent, I have NO IDEA how you paid for an outside cabin but GOT an inside cabin??????? You have issues with your travel agent,,,and I wouldn't use him or her again,,,

Let's hope Mach can help you,,,,,please let us know how it goes,,,Holly

Just back from church.. Let me see if I can help at all!!!

The OV rooms are difficult to manuever. There is a step up to the bathroom, so if he can walk, and take one step up, and walk about three steps for the toilet... OK... The shower also has a lip... It is not convenient.

Also, I have seen many scooters left in the hallways, since they don't fit in the rooms, and never heard of any missing or tampered with.

But he would have to walk the whole room, to get to bed. Perhaps if you take a walker or push chair also, you could use it for the room.

Let me think a bit more.

I've read through what others have said... Yes... Call Carnival. I only book through my PVP and he's wonderful... But he also made a mistake with our cruise in Feb 08. It wasn't discovered until 3 days before the cruise... We had an outside cabin, OV, with a wide door, but it had a step up to the bathroom. Mom is totally, 100% in a wheelchair... this would NOT do. However, they found us an outside, OV, HC cabin... same price, three days before the cruise, and gave us OBC for the inconvenience. Substantial OBC!!! EACH!!!

The new cabin had a wider turning area between the beds, and no step up or lip in the bathroom. (On the Elation... our room had a power cabin door, so she could open and close it independently too! just a piush of the button... but on the Ecstasy and Conquest, this has not been the case.)

Make CARNIVAL aware of the error. Don't expect OBC since it was the TA who made the mistake, but expect the TA to giv you a reduction or OBC!! I mean about 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the cabin!!! TRULY!!!! EACH!!!! And a bottle of champagne or chocolates too!! Then I would cancel the TA booking and ask a PVP to make your future one...

Please feel free to email me. I'd be happy to do whatever I can for you.

I'm glad Mach told me about your situation...

kirkir1953 at yahoo dot com....

Jacob can walk, but has trouble with endurance (distance) and when he is in a flareup with arthritis in his ankles and knees. Sometimes he can't walk and you can't predict when....

He is on long term pain management / medication and this allows him to move more. I don't think it fair to dope him up more because Carnival made a mistake. This was a Carnival TA that booked the cruise....

I will be sure to post a review with pictures. We will be sure to let you know how the water excrusions go!

Many Thanks

Charleyann

Jacob can walk, but has trouble with endurance (distance) and when he is in a flareup with arthritis in his ankles and knees. Sometimes he can't walk and you can't predict when....

He is on long term pain management / medication and this allows him to move more. I don't think it fair to dope him up more because Carnival made a mistake. This was a Carnival TA that booked the cruise....

I will be sure to post a review with pictures. We will be sure to let you know how the water excrusions go!

Many Thanks

Charleyann

I talked to a friend of mine at Carnival and he's going to see what can be done for you and your son.

Sit tight... don't call anyone. I don't want this going in three directions at once.

We've got some heavy hitters working on it but we probably won't have a resolution 'til tomorrow...

I think we are all pulling for you and I for sure hope Host Mach gets this resolved for you. And then yes, we want a review with pictures. I also hope you and your son have a great time WHEN this is resolved, not IF. :D

I talked to a friend of mine at Carnival and he's going to see what can be done for you and your son.

Sit tight... don't call anyone. I don't want this going in three directions at once.

We've got some heavy hitters working on it but we probably won't have a resolution 'til tomorrow...

WOW!!!! Holy Cow -----THANK YOU from us both!!!!!

WOW!!!! Holy Cow -----THANK YOU from us both!!!!!

It's an honor to be able to help...

mach,

you truly are a great resource for cruisers here. i've never had any issues with my cruises, but it makes me feel better being a part of this community knowing that a person like you is here to help.

to the OP, good luck with your situation, from the time i've spent here, i'm certain they will get this resolved for you.

mike