Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charsie

Time To Read...

I have a lot of reading to catch up on here....I'm just considering a Star Clipper experience for the first time ever. I'm trying to find something that will fall between my favourite thing (lazing about on an all inclusive Regent Seven Seas Cruises vacation, being pampered and fed and watered) and my husbands favourite thing (chartering our own sailboat and doing all the work/cleaning/cooking etc ourselves - YUCK). LOL. I don't need to be totally pampered, I can live without "guest lecturers" etc....but if that "head" gets clogged, I do not want to be responsible for it...and while I don't mind helping hoist a sail, I don't like paying thousands of dollars to do my own cooking. Possibly, this is the compromise??

I'm a little spoiled though in that I do cruise the now totally all inclusive (no charge for any drinks, no gratuities..) Regent at least twice a year (once with hubby, once with girlfriends only), and I hate the thought of going back to what I used to face sailing Celebrity, Princess etc......signing chits for every drink, not being able to bring booze on board from the Islands to enjoy in my cabin....etc. Is Star Clipper a nice compromise there too? i.e., do they allow you to bring in wine from the Islands to sip in your cabin??

Overall, I think this might be a very nice compromise, just checking to see if anybody has an opinion on whether this will maintain marital bliss!! Not bring it to us - we're already happy - I just want to STAY that way on vacation!

Thanks for any comments/advice!

My wife is a bit of a princess too. When our house keeper went on vacation, she had to look up the instructions for how to turn on our the vacuum cleaner. She does know how to operate certain kitchen devices such as our toaster and I even watched her make a pot of coffee one time. Amazing woman!

All of Star Clippers ships are luxury ships. You'll have nothing to do with ship operations unless you want to stand watch, raise the sails, or some such. You can be a total princess if you want. A cabin stewards are provided to take care of all the usual ship board amenities such as cleaning, bed making, bathroom cleaning, etc. They have a laundry service but it's not cheap. We found the Royal Clipper dining experience to be be 5 star but haven't tried the Star Flyer or Star Clipper yet. However I expect that the experience will be much the same. We're booked on the Star Flyer (11 days) in Feb 09 and the Star Clipper (37 nites) in October 09.

You'll be issued a cabin/credit card for your cruise. You don't sign a chit but you do pay for all alcoholic drinks, sodas, tours, tips, etc. Beware the bottle of water in your cabin as they charge for that too. A bottle of wine on board starts around $30 but they will store your bottle for the next meal.

The official policy for bringing in your own booze is "no". In theory any such you bring with you will be confiscated and returned at the end of the trip. The exception is wine but they do charge a corkage fee. That said, we had no problem with smuggling whatever drinkables we wanted on board our transatlantic cruise in 2003. Of course, rules may have been tightened in the intervening years. You could try being inventive by filling a 6-pak of water bottles with vodka (we had to do that on a Norwegian cruise -- seems childish to have to sneak around).

I don't think they are real strict, at least on our Tahiti cruise they weren't......still, I wouldn't come aboard with a bottle in hand. We never had our bags looked at returning from any of the ports or when we initially boarded. They might have scanned our checked luggage, but I never saw an xray machine like you would on the major cruise lines. We never intentionally tried to sneak anything on board, but when we were in Moorea, we visited the Juice Factory & bought 2 bottles of rum and returned to the cabin with them......never even thought about doing that until you posted your question.......dang could have been drinking our own the whole cruise:D We don't drink that much as we usually are diving quite a bit, but we would have 1 or 2 of the daily drinks on occasion. One thing, everything aboard is priced in Euros.

There was always tea & coffee available gratis.

We've never sailed Regent, but have used Princess, Royal Caribbean & Carnival and the service & food were far above any of those, so I think you will be pleased. Our total onboard bill came out to about $1400 and that included all our diving, a couple of excursions, drinks, tips, stuff we bought in the sloop shop and a couple of massages. Because of the service we recieved we pretty much doubled up the tips.

Roger, when you're aboard the Star Flyer, check out the guy who does the rigging & sail repairs. He makes rope bracelets in just about any color that are terrific & low priced.....hopefully he will still be aboard when you go.

Mike

Thanks Budaman. I'll be sure to inquire. Also, I am pleased to hear that juice factory is still in operation. Once upon a time, this amenity was about the size of a hot dog stand. They'd keep filling your dixie cup 'til you fell over. Ah..Memories! (I also understand that there juice is available in the big grocery store in Fare on Huahine)

They've moved up to glass shots now.......I think the Banana & the Orange Rums are the best. The low alchohol juices are available at the market in Fare. If you make it to the juice factory, see if Edna is around. We met her the previous trip on a 4X4 excursion she led & ran into her again this past trip. Lots of insights to Moorea & she has an Aunt that has a pearl shop with excellent prices. Plus, she serves up a mean rum shot!

Wish we could return soon, but it looks like it's time to explore another region, so it might be awhile.

It was probably the best trip we have taken overall.

Mike

I know what you mean. We're working up our next major travel plans (and we haven't even gotten to the Star Flyer yet!). We've got the next two booked (Star Clipper trans Indian Ocean next October & Windstar transatlantic the following April). We are also seeing so many attractive deals to so many places around the world. Pricing has fallen like a stone on some cruises to like $50/nite. Can't hardly afford to stay home for that. But, fitting in more French Polynesia is difficult with so many competing deals elsewhere. Of course, the Paul Gaugin is offering steep discounts for their cruises. Trouble with that is we just love sailing ships and we haven't (thus far) seen much in the way of discounts on these.

We're also looking at the Soren Larsen that sails around the South Pacific (you actually sign on as crew and evidently are expected to work! Work? Where's my maitai and lounge chair?!!) but it's fairly pricey considering there's no AC on board. Some cabins do come with a sink (oh boy).

JUst got home from my Star Flyer cruise at midnight last night. Still can't beileve I'm home. I keep wanting to go to the tropical bar and go on another scuba dive. It was really fun. I think I will remember the people more than the islands and I am not usually a very social person. Great memories!

Karyn

We leave next week to start wending our way west and then on to Tahiti for our Dec 7 sail on Star Flyer!!! My husband has asked if anyone knows if there is Internet on board or in Papeete? Thanks a lot..

We leave next week to start wending our way west and then on to Tahiti for our Dec 7 sail on Star Flyer!!! My husband has asked if anyone knows if there is Internet on board or in Papeete? Thanks a lot..Sherry