what ships have retractable roofs?

Majesty Fan

The Spirit class has a roof that can cover one of the two main pools. The Conquest class has a roof that can cover the aft pool. The Destiny, Triumph & Victory also have roofs that can cover the aft pool (these three ships are simply smaller versions of the Conquest class).

This photo of the Spirit shows the roof over one of the main pools ...

Carnival_Spirit.jpg

This is the aft pool on the Victory. I don't have a photo of the roof closed (though they did close it when it started raining one day). You can see the roof on the left side of the photo and you can see the track and rollers on the bottom of the photo ...

PIMG_6230.jpg

This is the aft pool on the Glory ...

Roof closed ...

Pool-aft.jpg

And roof open ...

Pool-aftstretch.jpg

Pool-aftwithtopopen.jpg

• Like 1

312473834_ac0f52d213.jpg

Quick search found this picture of the aft pool on Valor half closed. It seems to be pretty much the same across the Triumph/Conquest classes.

Source: Flickr, Credit RogerTheriault. Aft pool at night

How do you know it is half closed? It might be half open. :)

• Haha 1

I know that the carnival freedom had a retractable and it was over the smaller of the two pools on the ship.
The Freedom has three pools (not counting the very small kids pool or the crew's pool or the spa pool). It has one aft pool, one mid ship pool and one pool next to the water slide. The Freedom has a sliding roof over the aft pool.

• 10 years later...

It may not actuall “warm” the pool. But the warmer air makes the pool feel warmer. Kids were able to swim endlessly without shivering last year on Triumph. It was closed the whole trip and the main pool was open. We love cruising. Hoping the kids wear there wersuires this time again! Helps them stay warm with the cool cruising air. 

3 hours ago, MyLoisLane said:

It may not actuall “warm” the pool. But the warmer air makes the pool feel warmer. Kids were able to swim endlessly without shivering last year on Triumph. It was closed the whole trip and the main pool was open. We love cruising. Hoping the kids wear there wersuires this time again! Helps them stay warm with the cool cruising air. 

What was your point commenting on a ten year old thread???

Probably because he/she did not realize the it was a 2008 thread.   I read them also and did not catch the timing.  The Poster in front of he/she is the one that brought it out.  

Actually there is no limit on timing of posts as far as I know although 10 years is a bit of a stretch.  Oh well, now we know about cruise ship roofs.  I have been on 21 Carnival cruises and some of the ships had roofs.  In no case was the roof ever closed on any of the cruises.  

Now on to more important things like a easily printable copy of the March 2, 2019 Conquest Fun Times.

Edited by richfret
change word
  • Haha 1

My first internet shame... lol

I’m looking for another summer cruise and was perusing the topics about ships on Carnival w roofs. My kids loved it last cruise on the Triumph (2017 sailing). I apologize to the “thread gods” 🥳

#NewtoCruisecritic 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MyLoisLane said:

My first internet shame... lol

I’m looking for another summer cruise and was perusing the topics about ships on Carnival w roofs. My kids loved it last cruise on the Triumph (2017 sailing). I apologize to the “thread gods” 🥳

#NewtoCruisecritic 

I was just on the Legend in August..that also had a retractable roof over one of the main pools

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So, as the above poster mentioned there have been new ships added since the original post, which ships currently have retractable roofs?  I know Splendor does, Spirit and Conquest class, Destiny, Triumph and Valor...   What about any of the new ships?  We loved having the roof on the Splendor sailing out of cold and rainy Long Beach.  It gave extra seating area  around the pool that would otherwise be unusable in that weather.