Summit pod problem?

celsum

Is this ship still gas turbine, or has it been converted to diesel?

When I was on Infinity in 2006 it was still GTS, and it was very quiet and almost smoke free. On regular ships do you have smelly diesel smoke that sometimes hits you when you're on deck? Infinity was my only cruise, and so I just don't know anything else.

Most of us know all of the problems they had with reliability with the GTS system. Has it now been ditched? If so, about how much did that cost? Must have been a lot....

The pods are still there. They added diesel motors to use when in port for power.

I had friend on the Summit the last time it had pod problems while cruising Alaska either 1 1/2 0r 2 1/2 years ago. It eventually went into dry dock. I lost 4 days of a cruise when she did the same thing in April 2002. Now I'm on her next cruise, a TA from Barcelona to San Juan. I don't know what is going to happen at this point. I expect is will take a few days, minimum, before Celebrity makes any decision on how to handle the problem.

Is this ship still gas turbine, or has it been converted to diesel?

When I was on Infinity in 2006 it was still GTS, and it was very quiet and almost smoke free. On regular ships do you have smelly diesel smoke that sometimes hits you when you're on deck? Infinity was my only cruise, and so I just don't know anything else.

Most of us know all of the problems they had with reliability with the GTS system. Has it now been ditched? If so, about how much did that cost? Must have been a lot....

All the Millenium-class ships still use gas turbines for the main propulsion systems. In the last year, Celebrity has been retrofitting diesel power generators to supply electric power to the ship while in port.

The issue the Summit is having is probably the same bearing failure within the pods that has plagued the entire class.

They said that the current problems have the ship sailing at max speed of 15 knts instead of the usual 24 knts. Current cruise will loose a port, they are working on fixing the problem? Can it really be fixed w/o dry dock? And as I am booked on the Nov 29th TA I am just hoping that we have no other disruption than maybe having to skip a port or two. I can live with more sea days as I love them, I am just feaful of a cancelled cruise to allow for a dry dock. That would really break my heart.

They said that the current problems have the ship sailing at max speed of 15 knts instead of the usual 24 knts. Current cruise will loose a port, they are working on fixing the problem? Can it really be fixed w/o dry dock? And as I am booked on the Nov 29th TA I am just hoping that we have no other disruption than maybe having to skip a port or two. I can live with more sea days as I love them, I am just feaful of a cancelled cruise to allow for a dry dock. That would really break my heart.

If the current problem is the same "bearing" issue that plagued the M class ships a few years ago, it must be put in dry dock to correct the issue. The bearing(s) inside the pod must be replaced and this cannot be done with the pod under water.

We were on the Infinity on a round trip from San Diego to Hawaii. They ran three or four months with the ship at reduced speed before she went into drydock. On our cruise, the reduced speed added about 12 hours to the crossing.

I think Celebrity schedules the drydock to minimize the impact on revenues if possible. We were on a 14 day cruise and they waited until the ship was in a 7 day cruise schedule before the drydock.

Pod Problem from Summit Nov1 to Nov15 cruise

1. After leaving Mykonos, we stopped for about 3 hours at sea - we didn'r notice it but table mates did.

2. At late seating there was a general announcement that we had lost one of the Gas Turbine pods and our speed was reduced from 24 to 15 knots. That we would skip Split in order to make Venice and demarkation on time. We received a refund of $200.00 per oceanview, Balconys received $250.00. Therefore last 2 days were at sea - tired enough to relax.

3. The following are comments that are not absolute facts:

a. German Technical crew boarded in Venice and since ship in harbor 36 hours will work on pod, without drydock.

b. rumors that it takes from upto 5 days to replace pod.

c. Ship has to GTS pods and one diesel engine - thought for propulsion.

I am sure there will be people with better info soon. By the way we were pleased with the speed of the internet on board and even used VOIP successfully - haven't got all the bills yet, but believe it was most cost effective way of calling the states

SherlockH

Pod Problem from Summit Nov1 to Nov15 cruise

1. After leaving Mykonos, we stopped for about 3 hours at sea - we didn'r notice it but table mates did.

2. At late seating there was a general announcement that we had lost one of the Gas Turbine pods and our speed was reduced from 24 to 15 knots. That we would skip Split in order to make Venice and demarkation on time. We received a refund of $200.00 per oceanview, Balconys received $250.00. Therefore last 2 days were at sea - tired enough to relax.

3. The following are comments that are not absolute facts:

a. German Technical crew boarded in Venice and since ship in harbor 36 hours will work on pod, without drydock.

b. rumors that it takes from upto 5 days to replace pod.

c. Ship has to GTS pods and one diesel engine - thought for propulsion.

I am sure there will be people with better info soon. By the way we were pleased with the speed of the internet on board and even used VOIP successfully - haven't got all the bills yet, but believe it was most cost effective way of calling the states

SherlockH

Thank you very much for this post.

We are on the TA leaving BCN on NOV. 29th.

I hope they can fix the problem whithout drydock.

I will call Celebrity in Frankfurt (Germany) later this day.

If i get any new info, I will post it here.But i am afraid they play dumb in Germany because they are so far away from the head office.

Michael

Thanks. Thousands of people with cruises booked between now and year-end will be waiting for further information from Celebrity. I hope they take the high road and keep us informed as soon as they make a decision as to what their plans will be. It would be a shame to find out after boarding that a port has been eliminated from the itinerary.

We are scheduled to sail on the Summit on Dec. 13/08 out of San Juan. What happens if they cancel the cruise or delay it, we have already paid (non refundable)for our pre and post hotel stay in San Juan via priceline and obvoiusly purchased out air tickets. Never heard any cruises being delay but am curious to find out how much responsibility Celebrity will take if this happens. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

We are scheduled to sail on the Summit on Dec. 13/08 out of San Juan. What happens if they cancel the cruise or delay it, we have already paid (non refundable)for our pre and post hotel stay in San Juan via priceline and obvoiusly purchased out air tickets. Never heard any cruises being delay but am curious to find out how much responsibility Celebrity will take if this happens. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

Don't expect the cruiseline to take responsibility anymore than you would expect an airline to take responsibility if it were to decide to cancel your flights at the last minute.

I just spoke with Celebrity from their 1800 number and the agent put me on hold to get more information, she then came back and confirmed there was a problem with the pod or pods on the Summit and it was corrected in port and is sailing on time with all scheduled stops.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Craig

I just spoke with Celebrity from their 1800 number and the agent put me on hold to get more information, she then came back and confirmed there was a problem with the pod or pods on the Summit and it was corrected in port and is sailing on time with all scheduled stops.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Craig

It is nice to hear this.

I just got off the phone with Celebrity in Germany.

The agent was clueless but she talked to her supervisor.

They will try to get more detailed information from the head office in Miami than get back to me.

So i hope they will do it.

If I get any new information I will post it here.

Michael

Thanks

Craig

Graig:

We have a roll call going for your sailing. Come on over and sign up for the Celebrity provided party.

Ken

Just a mention- it is always a possibility that a port will be missed. There are any number of reasons that this can happen and it is not that out of the ordinary. Obviously the cruiselines do not want this to happen and will try at all costs to avoid it.

Hopefully the information from Celebrity is correct and there is no longer a pod problem. I would hate to find out that there is in fact a bearing issue, and Celebrity feels that it is in their best interest to keep this information as confidential as possible to avoid cancellations. It would be great if we could hear from someone currently onboard the Summit.

What I understand from an onboard contact at Celebrity is that "the pod problem" that plagued all M class ships in the early years boiled down to premature wear (after approx. 12 to 15 months as opposed to the normal live cycle of 36 months), which forced Celebrity to operate the pods at reduced power until an emergency dry dock could take place. This issue was finally fixed on all ships approx. 2 years ago. The current pod problem on Summit is apparantly of a different nature: one pod is not working at all. They apparantly expect to fix this without a drydock.

Floris

Thanks

Craig

If they cancel your cruise in relation to a "Pod" issue. There is info on their website (or was) that they will give you a full refund and a "Free" cruise. Now there is some indication that this is a different problem than that which caused all the issues previously so that may give them a way out. My experience is that they will try to make everyone happy but of course it's impossible to do that... But they will try. Hopefully info now is that it will be fixed.

See this long thread for better info:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=519029

If they cancel your cruise in relation to a "Pod" issue. There is info on their website (or was) that they will give you a full refund and a "Free" cruise. Now there is some indication that this is a different problem than that which caused all the issues previously so that may give them a way out. My experience is that they will try to make everyone happy but of course it's impossible to do that... But they will try. Hopefully info now is that it will be fixed.

See this long thread for better info:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=519029

If you booked your own air and own hotel, you are responsible. If you took out trip cancellation insurance this should cover it, other wise you have to work it out. You should be able to cancel the hotel, but the flights are another thing and you will loose.

We were scheduled to sail out of Ensenada on the Infinity to Hawaii, when my friend in England called me two days before we were to depart and told me our cruise had been cancelled. Of course Celebrity gave us money back and free cruise. Since he was coming from England he was almost walking out the door when he heard. I asked if he had ever been to Hawaii and he said no, so I said let's go.

We kept the flights to San Diego, booked a room in Maui and one in Honolulu and got flights from San Diego to Maui and then Maui to Honolulu and kept our flgiths from Honolulu back home. We had a wonderful land trip to Maui and Honolulu and did a free cruise in South America. We were lucky to get a nice place in Maui, and had a rental car also. We had planned this trip for a long time and were not going to be denied a trip.

If Celebrity booked your flights and room you are off the hook.

WE were taking a tour of the Bridge this past thursday morning on the Summitt when the most recent incident occurred. A senior officer was giving about 25 of us an explanatipon of the main control panel and while doing so an alert WENT OFF...HE tried to stop the alert from beeping but it continued. IN Greek he called another staff officer to continue the tour but away from the main console. In the meantime during the enxt 10-15 minutes, you could see the problem develop for the staff Captain, engineering Captain and finally the Master of the ship were all at the main console. At all times all offciers were very professional and trying to determine the immediate problem, knowing full well that they had an ongoing tour of the Bridge. Definitely was a different experience!!

Archived