Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mangojh2

Jardin Botanico, best way to get to there from playa?

I want to visit the botanic gardens, but am unsure of the cost or the exact best means to get there. The gardens are a 150 acre preserve inbetween playa and puerto morelos. Not sure if they are right off the main hwy or not. I could not find a specific address for them.

I will be arriving at the ferry dock in Playa and will need to start from there. Should I take the bus? Taxi? What are the cost/distance involved? I am taking a cruise to Cozumel so I have to be back at a specific time.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Courtesy of Fodor's:

Jardin Botanico del Dr. Alfredo Barrera Marín

Garden/Arboretum, Puerto Morelos

South of Puerto Morelos, the 150-acre Jardin Botanico del Dr. Alfredo Barrera Marín (Dr. Alfredo Barrera Marín Botanical Garden), named for a local botanist, exhibits the peninsula's plants and flowers, which are labeled in English, Spanish, and Latin. There's also a tree nursery, a remarkable orchid and epiphyte garden, a reproduction of a chiclero (gum arabic collector), an authentic Maya house, and an archaeological site. A nature walk goes directly through the mangroves for some great bird-watching; more than 220 species have been identified here (be sure to bring the bug spray, though). Spider monkeys can usually be spotted in the afternoons, and a tree-house lookout offers a spectacular view -- but the climb isn't for those afraid of heights. The garden is open daily 8-4, and admission is $7.

Address: Carretera 307, Km 36, Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo, Mexico

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=caribbean_coast@234&cur_section=sig&property_id=62031

Puerto Morales is about 20 miles north of PDC, sounds like a 15 mile or so taxi ride. $20-25 would be my guess.