CCL Imagination survives crash... Sails home to Miami w/ no Probs!

FunShipCruiser05

I remember many years ago on the Jubilee we struck the pier in Puerto Vallarta. It put a 4-5 inch gash in the side of the ship about 10-12 feet above the waterline. They covered it with duct tape and then painted over the tape. Needless to say we were a bit shocked and had a few giggles over the repair job.

I was on that ship recently (now called the P&O Pacific Sun) and I wouldn't mind betting that tape is still there!

:)

I was standing at the top top of the ship.. at the front and watched this ship pull into cozumel's puerta maya from a distance away. At no time was a bump or anything felt from high above. Maybe someone on R deck was in a cabin and felt it. But he pulled into dock as as he was close to the dock, it suddenly pulled away and thats when the harbor boat came around from the right sight, probably seein the damage and getting out of the way. Then he veered back slowly to the right to the dock. Dont know if he was bumped off or hit it then pulled out. Nobody explained anything as I dont think they really needed too either so we snooze. The winds were 15-25mph all week on average from leaving miami to the night before, returning to miami..very possible the winds played a role. But it did look worse then I think really happened

If the ship hit something while porting' date=' it's the harbor pilot who takes the fall:

[b']Question:[/b]

Over the years I have heard numerous accounts of cruise ships grounding when entering or leaving harbors. In each case there must have been a harbor pilot onboard. What is the responsibility of the harbor pilot in accidents like these?

Answer:

When leaving port, from the point that the ship's docking pilot (usually the officer in command, especially on modern ships with thrusters) has cleared the pier, the ship is placed in the command of the local harbor pilot, who takes on full responsibility for navigation of the vessel. (The master retains full command of all other aspects of the ship). When entering a harbor the process is reversed. In either case, the pilot's authority extends for the time between docking and navigating the "high seas." In the case of port calls where the ship anchors rather than docks the harbor pilot is in charge of the time, place and manner of anchoring as well. During the period that the harbor pilot is in charge, he is empowered to issue steering directions, and to set the course and speed of the ship. All crew and officers must obey any pilot order, except that the captain may take over control from the harbor pilot if the pilot appears to be incompetent or impaired (for instance, intoxicated).

The legal rights and responsibilities of a harbor pilot's actions are well established, and, if collision or grounding is due to pilot negligence, the consequences fall squarely on his shoulders, and may even include personal responsibility for financial damages. For that reason, many state governments within the United States require harbor pilots to post a bond to cover those eventualities.

And that's why they get paid $200,000 according to a recent report on newly negotiated pay increase for the Tampa pilots. And they don't even fly airplanes!

And that's why they get paid $200,000 according to a recent report on newly negotiated pay increase for the Tampa pilots. And they don't even fly airplanes!

If they have to pay for their own BOND, I'd guess that's pretty cheap. :)

Hey All,

While in Nassau 11/22 we noticed a few windows on thr Lido Deck next to one of the Bars blown out? Anyone know whats up?:eek:

When we were docked next to the Imagination in Cozumel we also noticed the missing windows on the Lido deck......between that and the gouge, the ship looked pretty roughed up.

I remember many years ago on the Jubilee we struck the pier in Puerto Vallarta. It put a 4-5 inch gash in the side of the ship about 10-12 feet above the waterline. They covered it with duct tape and then painted over the tape. Needless to say we were a bit shocked and had a few giggles over the repair job.

And that is why I always carry a roll of duct tape with me - you never know when you'll need it!

• 2 months later...

That happened many years ago when I was on Imagination..only Imagination was not at fault..we were going to ocho rios but one of the ship that docked there before us damaged the dock,,,,so we went to Montago Bay instead...Love that port much better...wish we could do that one all the time.

Anyway,,,,,,rule is for all If you drink don't drive. (just kidding)

Archived