Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community
dougnewmanatsea

Farewell, QE2

mg_9648.jpg?w=500&h=333

Without a doubt, there have been few ships that have garnered such a devoted following as Queen Elizabeth 2 has. Indeed, with 39 years of service, sailing over 5.5 million miles and carrying over 2.5 million passengers, sailing to nearly every region of thew world, few ships have had the same sort of opportunity to win the hearts of the public. An icon even to those who have never stepped aboard, QE2 was nevertheless most beloved of us who have had the opportunity to get to know this great lady on a more personal level.

Keep reading my personal farewell letter to QE2...

Thanks Doug, I share your thoughts and views on the Greatest Ship in the World. I first saw her in Ft. Lauderdale in 1983 while on a harbor cruise. Honestly, it was not love at first sight. :( I was not fond of the original thin funnel, after years of looking at Queen Mary and the original Queen Elizabeth. In fact, I was somewhat dissappointed, I hate to admit.

It wasn't until October of 2000 when I finally got a chance to sail on QE2. I have spent a total of 22 days onboard, each one simply magical. I "got it" from the second I boarded in 2000. I felt like I was home again stepping foot onboard in Southampton this past January. As I walked down the gangplank, the ship appealed to all my senses. There was that familiar QE2 aroma again, the "ship" feel and she looked even better than she did in 2000. By now, I knew her shortcomings, such as the awkward lifts /stair layout and AC issues, but we embraced that as part of the mystique of the ship. We loved our Golden Lion pub lunches, high tea, and the enrichment lectures. But the main part of the QE2 experience, for us, has always been the fellow passengers. We still keep in contact with friends we met in 2000, and our January trip we would meet many new friends, all who shared the passion for Cunard and QE2. The same continued on our final voyage.

As we disembarked in NYC in January, I said my personal goodbye to the ship, but knew I would at least have three more times to see her in NYC before she was gone. By May, though, I was still in serious QE2 withdrawl and vowed to sail one final time and ended up in the Final Farewell to the UK voyage. My fear that my memories of my near perfect crossing (let's leave out the computer breakdown at boarding :mad:) would be spoiled were totally unfounded. The Final Farewell to the UK was a trip of a lifetime for me and my son, who now "get's it" about QE2 as well. It really hit home, seeing the UK national pride for this ship and I too felt a sense of Scottish pride that she is truly is the last great liner built in on the Clyde. I was saddened to see the total destruction of the ship building capability in Belfast, Clydebank, and Newcastle. With these ports and all the fanfare at each departure, we knew we truly were sailing on the last great ship of the UK.:)

With that in mind, the French built QM2 will never hold the same spot in my heart, but I fully intend to continue sailing with Cunard in the future, providing Cunard remains distinctly British. For me, everytime I see the bow profile of QM2, I see QE2, if that is a small consolidation. Thank you Stephen Payne. As I have been photographing QE2, her profile is simply stunning from every angle, with perfect proportion, which cannot be said for QM2. I suspect history is repeating itself as when the original Queens were retired and the "new" QE2 was not warmly welcomed by all. I am warming up to QM2, but QE2 will always be my passion. Long live the Queen!

KenM

Thanks Doug, I share your thoughts and views on the Greatest Ship in the World. I first saw her in Ft. Lauderdale in 1983 while on a harbor cruise. Honestly, it was not love at first sight. :( I was not fond of the original thin funnel, after years of looking at Queen Mary and the original Queen Elizabeth. In fact, I was somewhat dissappointed, I hate to admit.

It wasn't until October of 2000 when I finally got a chance to sail on QE2. I have spent a total of 22 days onboard, each one simply magical. I "got it" from the second I boarded in 2000. I felt like I was home again stepping foot onboard in Southampton this past January. As I walked down the gangplank, the ship appealed to all my senses. There was that familiar QE2 aroma again, the "ship" feel and she looked even better than she did in 2000. By now, I knew her shortcomings, such as the awkward lifts /stair layout and AC issues, but we embraced that as part of the mystique of the ship. We loved our Golden Lion pub lunches, high tea, and the enrichment lectures. But the main part of the QE2 experience, for us, has always been the fellow passengers. We still keep in contact with friends we met in 2000, and our January trip we would meet many new friends, all who shared the passion for Cunard and QE2. The same continued on our final voyage.

As we disembarked in NYC in January, I said my personal goodbye to the ship, but knew I would at least have three more times to see her in NYC before she was gone. By May, though, I was still in serious QE2 withdrawl and vowed to sail one final time and ended up in the Final Farewell to the UK voyage. My fear that my memories of my near perfect crossing (let's leave out the computer breakdown at boarding :mad:) would be spoiled were totally unfounded. The Final Farewell to the UK was a trip of a lifetime for me and my son, who now "get's it" about QE2 as well. It really hit home, seeing the UK national pride for this ship and I too felt a sense of Scottish pride that she is truly is the last great liner built in on the Clyde. I was saddened to see the total destruction of the ship building capability in Belfast, Clydebank, and Newcastle. With these ports and all the fanfare at each departure, we knew we truly were sailing on the last great ship of the UK.:)

With that in mind, the French built QM2 will never hold the same spot in my heart, but I fully intend to continue sailing with Cunard in the future, providing Cunard remains distinctly British. For me, everytime I see the bow profile of QM2, I see QE2, if that is a small consolidation. Thank you Stephen Payne. As I have been photographing QE2, her profile is simply stunning from every angle, with perfect proportion, which cannot be said for QM2. I suspect history is repeating itself as when the original Queens were retired and the "new" QE2 was not warmly welcomed by all. I am warming up to QM2, but QE2 will always be my passion. Long live the Queen!

KenM

I have to agree, QE2 will always be the one for other ships to aspire to equal, but while for me, none will do so, QM2 does top the list of contestants. In her own right ,she's a great ship, so do let's support her now!

Thanks to all for your kind comments.

I do agree that QM2 is her logical successor. I have already enjoyed sailing in her once and in the next year and a bit I shall hopefully be doing so two more times.

I am also getting this strange urge to sail in QUEEN VICTORIA - what can be going on here?

Edited by dougnewmanatsea

You will love the Queen Victoria. She is wonderful, has a cozy feel, an excellent flow from room to room, the theater is phenomenal, the Commodore Club is the best on the seas and she is elegantly beautiful. There are even drawers now in the cabins!!! Give her a try, you won't be disappointed.

Ken and Doug,

Two fantastic personal recollections of QE2, I'll try and add mine when I have a bit more spare time!

QM2 isn't another QE2 but then she was never going to be, just as QE2 wasn't another QM or QE, times do change and unfortunately so does ship design and requirements.

At least the QM2 isn't another block of flats on the water, and in my humble opinion we should all draw some comfort from that!

John

Hey Doug - thank you for your great post. Interesting, judging from your photo, we're in a similar age group, although one of the wonderful things about CC is that it makes you realize that we're all young (whether in mind, body or spirit).

Fully agree with everything you said. Thought I'd mention that if you have chance, you should visit the original Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. Although she is missing many (major) parts of her original completeness, she still is absolutely wonderful and I think you'd find the Cunard familiarity (and the John Brown yard familiarity) while walking her.

Cheers,

Jeff