Solstice Cabana Hogs and Other Observations

ChevyCruiser

I just returned from the cruise as well and many of the OP comments were true...though there were some good things, I will definitely wait some time before cruising Solstice again. Other Celebrity ships sure...

She is, however a beautiful ship. Didn't mean to go on, but it wasn't without it's problems as some are trying to say....different strokes for different folks...

The first few months a ship is in service are notoriously fraught with issues until the ship and staff are up to par and used to the ship and the kinks are worked out.

It would seem that there is a very simple solution to the elevator jams - trim the darn tree back enough so branches aren't near the elevator shafts. Obviously, these things weren't well thought out when the ship was designed, just like the issue with the grass.

However, after reading so many different opinions, I think that there certainly is a big difference in opinion from the CC Hosts and regular passengers. So IMO the truth is somewhere in the middle of the great reviews and the worst reviews.

Not heating pools to me is an issue - what is the point of the indoor pool area if the water is freezing? Cut back the tree to stop the leaves from getting into the elevator shafts.The cabana hogging should be taken care of by the staff or else there should be charges put in place for the cabanas. Non-smoking policies should be adhered to.

However, in the reviews, even in the ones in which the posters say that the OP's issues brought up are real, the difference is in the tone of the post. Howard and monn_a both brought up some good with the bad.

From the OP's post, I thought there were many dogs on the ship - everyone else said two service dogs, which is not unusual. There was not a single nice thing to be said and the OP hasn't come back to answer any of our questions, such as did he enjoy the food or anything else on the ship. When you read a review that doesn't offer one positive, it does make you suspect that the writer is negative. As monn_a says, they experienced a lot of what the OP mentions, but they've never had a bad cruise.

The good thing about reading negative reviews is that for those of us who are sailing later, we are ready for problems and may be pleasantly surprised by the time we sail to see most of the matters cleared up - or at least we were warned.

I sailed the Pride of Aloha on NCL three months after the ship was first put into service when there were so many problems with poor service. I had read all the negative reviews before I left here on CC and was expecting the worst, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that even with the service issues that remained, I still enjoyed the cruise. Was the service lousy? Yes, but forewarned is forearmed and I was prepared and not surprised for it so I refused to let it bother me.

I believe we will be seeing improvements as the cruises go on - if anything, it should be a warning for those who are looking for a perfect cruise to not book a new ship for the first few months until the kinks are worked out.

an

The music in the Solstice Theater was so loud that it was almost painful, plus it was drowning out the live acts. When I complained, I was told that the home office sets the volume requirements for each show.

If they turn down the music the home office can´t have something from it.

Do they have to ask always for permission?!

What does stay than in the fax: can we turn down the music, please?!

The home office should concentrate on more important things as reply to emails.

Time period for answering to emails is maximum up to 3 weeks, if in this time of period a reply doesn´t show, it is very questionable if one follows.

I have recieved a reply from Celebrity after 4 weeks.

What were they serving?!

The daily newpaper, i guessed there is now newspaper, only Celebrity´s daily mail.

:p

There is a "newspaper" its Celebrity's printed paper but there were only about 25 copies printed daily, so if you didn't make it down in the morning it was gone. They did, however, have CNN (2 channels) around the clock.

I am not surprised to hear about the cabana issue. I knew once I saw them that would be the case.

I am disappointed to hear about the lawn club - that was supposed to be such a big deal - now you can't go on it at all?

We never book a new ship right away because we know there are issues to be worked out, so it sounds like your experience reinforced my belief.

Can I ask how you found the food at dinner? Was everything served hot and correctly? How was the entertainment?

The food in the main dining room was so good that we saw no reason to try for specialty dining. The Oceanview Cafe worked well with design and quality of the food. We never had a problem finding a seat even at peak times. The traffic flow around the serving stations worked well. Excellent design.

The show "Solstice, The Show" was the best we've ever seen on a cruise ship and will be the new benchmark. It's approaching Cirque De Soliei (sp?) only on a smaller scale. You will be amazed.

We had no problem with storage. Plenty in the bathroom, and although the closet was small, there was still plenty of drawer space. The lifejackets are stored in an under-the-bed basket so we stashed ours in the overhead cubbys and used the basket for storage. Plus, the bed was raised enough that suitcases are easily stashed underneath.

And yes,cruiseyguy, I was on the cruise.;)

:p

There is a "newspaper" its Celebrity's printed paper but there were only about 25 copies printed daily, so if you didn't make it down in the morning it was gone. They did, however, have CNN (2 channels) around the clock.

One "newspaper" per deck, i understand.

Maybe the dog can wear a lable with the decknumber on it, to avoid

confusion.

This is what we had in Europe,too.

A short excerpt of the actuall newspaper, and very important information about some starletts.

Sounds to me like the OP has elected to point out some issues based on their observations. If what was posted was all negative, that's fine with me, I don't think there is one thing that was identified that wasn't supported so far.

So, the truth is blended somewhere right in the middle of the Hosts posts and this one, and I imagine several others that will be coming out in the days and weeks to come.

Most significant IMHO is the issue with the aft cabins and the step design impact on guests below. That's a big deal, and one that has not be shared before, so don't be so fast to write the OP's post off as all negative. A lot of the information is useful.

The design of those aft cabins is a concern and we'll never book one again. The salt spray was way above normal and akin to the backspray that one gets on the rear window of an SUV - hence rear wiper on many SUV models. We had a friend in a side cabin on the same level and were able to compare notes. After one day at sea, our deck glass was almost opaque from the salt and soot. We were on one of the upper decks, too!

The stairstep design, while it looks nice, was a pain. Unless you don't mind the balcony furniture of the stareroom above being directly over your bed, book a side cabin.

Sure, there were lots of positives - and what we have come to expect from Celebrity - but there were also many negatives that outweighed a WOW factor that we were expecting for the Solstice.

Sounds to me like the OP has elected to point out some issues based on their observations. If what was posted was all negative, that's fine with me, I don't think there is one thing that was identified that wasn't supported so far.

So, the truth is blended somewhere right in the middle of the Hosts posts and this one, and I imagine several others that will be coming out in the days and weeks to come.

Most significant IMHO is the issue with the aft cabins and the step design impact on guests below. That's a big deal, and one that has not be shared before, so don't be so fast to write the OP's post off as all negative. A lot of the information is useful.

Please remember that Hosts are just real cruisers who happen to volunteer on Cruise Critic. We have no allegiance or responsibility to report only the positive. I have written a few very negative reviews in the past. :)

I truly think there must have been two different sailings on two ships named Solstice... :D I never heard any creakings, I noticed an occasional smell here and there but not any more than on other ships... and you have to remember that this is a moving ship... it is very difficult to control all plumbing issues on something that moves constantly.

The food in the main dining room was so good that we saw no reason to try for specialty dining. The Oceanview Cafe worked well with design and quality of the food. We never had a problem finding a seat even at peak times. The traffic flow around the serving stations worked well. Excellent design.

The show "Solstice, The Show" was the best we've ever seen on a cruise ship and will be the new benchmark. It's approaching Cirque De Soliei (sp?) only on a smaller scale. You will be amazed.

We had no problem with storage. Plenty in the bathroom, and although the closet was small, there was still plenty of drawer space. The lifejackets are stored in an under-the-bed basket so we stashed ours in the overhead cubbys and used the basket for storage. Plus, the bed was raised enough that suitcases are easily stashed underneath.

And yes,cruiseyguy, I was on the cruise.;)

Thank you for coming back. And I am glad to see that there were some good things on the cruise for you. Now I am looking forward to the food and the show.:p

There is always things that have to get sorted out on a new ship. Cruisers should be aware & expect that it will not be a well oiled machine for a while. We sailed on Brillance of the seas on the 4th cruise out. That was the last time we will sail on a new ship. For us we will wait a minimum of 6 months, possibly a year to get the kinks out before we sail.

Please remember that Hosts are just real cruisers who happen to volunteer on Cruise Critic. We have no allegiance or responsibility to report only the positive. I have written a few very negative reviews in the past. :)

I truly think there must have been two different sailings on two ships named Solstice... :D I never heard any creakings, I noticed an occasional smell here and there but not any more than on other ships... and you have to remember that this is a moving ship... it is very difficult to control all plumbing issues on something that moves constantly.

Hi Joe !

Thank very much for your post. You said it better, than I would. It dissapoints me greatly (almost to the point where I feel like not posting) when posters suggest that the Host's Comments are anything less than their actual opinions. We have no reason to report anything else. For those who have read my posts over the years, I have been very critical of Celebrity and other lines when I felt it was warranted.

In each and every Cruise, you are ALWAYS going to hear from those who said they had a great time, some who had a fair time, and some who had a bad time. Some of it is the luck of the draw, and others choose to get upset more than others. Were there numerous small items that could use improvement on Solstice ? Yes, and you have heard some of it in Part 1 of my Review. However, in my "opinion" the good massively outweighed the bad. With that said, I'm on a well earned vacation, and I refuse to let the little things ruin my vacation. That's just the way I am.

Please remember, "opinions" are just that.... and all opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. It's always best to go and enjoy your Cruise, and make your own conclusions.

WOW! Talk about a totally different set of opinions. I have no idea what this OP is talking about.

Cabana hogs - I always found a cabana when I wanted one. I guess it's all about looking.

Strange sewage smells - I never experienced that, except in port where there are all kinds of smells.

aft elevators out of service - Well, yeah, it's called service and cleaning. So what? It still gave you SIX others to choose from!

The grass was "resting" throughout the cruise - Did you look more than once? I walked on the grass every time I was up there. Certain sections were resting (some needed to rest), but there was always a section open to experience the grass. The comment about the dogs was uncalled for and incredibly rude. The dogs on board (service dogs, not pets) were incredibly well-trained and did not urinate on the grass. There was a large wooden box port side on deck 5 forward that the two rovers used for their "business." It is true that the grass will need some getting used to, but it is the first time out you know, and it added a nice touch to the deck. It is something to experience.

salt on the Veranda - How are you going to avoid salt on a balcony sailing on the high seas?

Solstice Theater was so loud - It never drowned out any of the acts that we saw, and technically, was superb! Since it is a brand new ship, it has the latest sound and lighting equipment, which made for an excellent experience. I'm sure they are still tweaking the room. Maybe an inaugural cruise is not for you.

The basin in the stateroom - I never had a problem shaving in the sink so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

"Elegant Tea" was like a hillbilly buffet - Obviously some people do not get an elegant tea. You'll have that.

Bottom line - new ship with a lot of work to be done. I'll wait a few years before I try her again. - I totally disagree, and encourage people to book this ship as soon as possible. It is a must travel and unlike any other ship on the seas.

Hi Joe !

Thank very much for your post. You said it better, than I would. It dissapoints me greatly (almost to the point where I feel like not posting) when posters suggest that the Host's Comments are anything less than their actual opinions. We have no reason to report anything else. For those who have read my posts over the years, I have been very critical of Celebrity and other lines when I felt it was warranted.

In each and every Cruise, you are ALWAYS going to hear from those who said they had a great time, some who had a fair time, and some who had a bad time. Some of it is the luck of the draw, and others choose to get upset more than others. Were there numerous small items that could use improvement on Solstice ? Yes, and you have heard some of it in Part 1 of my Review. However, in my "opinion" the good massively outweighed the bad. With that said, I'm on a well earned vacation, and I refuse to let the little things ruin my vacation. That's just the way I am.

Please remember, "opinions" are just that.... and all opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. It's always best to go and enjoy your Cruise, and make your own conclusions.

I have yet to be on a cruise ( or land vacation) in which everything was "perfect". If people want to nitpick, they can always find something to nitpick about. And with any review on CC, regardless of who wrote it, you will always see a small portion of reviews that are very critical of everything. Juts look at the clouds on the member reviews section - you can see 20 fours and then a one or a two mixed it. I think it is all about how you handle expectations - if you expect too much, you will certainly never be pleased.

However, that said, the OP did come back and post some things that he enjoyed. I think that is all anyone wanted to see - if the entire cruise was a disappointment and from OP's newer post it doesn't sound that way.

Host Anne posted a long and very thorough review in which she stated what was great and what needed improvement and the other hosts have also given nice reviews that were balanced as well. To me, balanced reviews like that are just what I am looking for. When I see something that is all negative, I just don't pay a lot of attention to it - no vacation can possibly be that bad when you are fed, entertained, don't have to clean up after yourself and get on the ship and make it off still breathing. How bad can life be? Those of us that cruise are incredibly lucky we can afford to take vacations like this - many people can't.

I suggest that those who think Hosts only report the "positive" take the time to read the review I wrote. It's long so if you don't want to read the entire thing, just read the highlights I've noted in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=882712. For the most part, I feel hosts try to be honest and fair. To insinuate we only posting positive things for the benefit of the cruise lines is completely false. I suggest going back and reading a review I wrote about Zenith a couple of years before.

A couple of additional notes:

I did talk with a couple of people (two) who had creaking cabins. One was talking with maintenance and I encouraged the other to do so. You are going to have varying degrees of "creaking" on a ship. We've had cabins on other ships that creaked badly. Our aft veranda was very quiet.

Every aft cabin we've ever stayed in (and we primarily sail in aft cabins) has soot debris. You can't prevent it. What was nice on Solstice is that our veranda was cleaned at least twice during the cruise to remove the soot. I can't recall that happening on other ships. Our veranda glass was also cleaned several times to clear the salt spray. We were on deck 7 and the first two days were the worst for this. We had very rocky seas the first two days. I thought the ship handled the movement well. Different people feel completely differently about the amount of movement on ships.

I did, on occasion, smell a sewage odor here or there. It was something I've smelled on every ship I've sailed on. It was never prolonged and I didn't notice it specially at the elevators (which we didn't always take).

There are a limited number of cabanas on the pool deck itself. There are plenty elsewhere around the ship. The ones on the pool deck are set at a permanent angle and I felt were very uncomfortable. For three days at sea, I thought there was plenty of seating everywhere (even on the pool and sun decks) if you wanted a lounge chair.

I believe when posting reviews that they should include positives and negatives. That's how we all (and the cruise lines) benefit. It's when someone comes to the board and only reports negatives (as this thread began) that folks start to get a tad defensive. Thanks to the OP for returning and providing additional info. If all the info had been posted together at the outset, it would have provided a much better overall review.

While I have just returned and had the opportunity to experience the Solstice, I have to say, I definately agree with some of the negatives mentioned. I have been on two other cruises, so here goes...

The ship is absolutely beautiful, open, airy and esthetically magnificent. The food in the buffet was fantastic with variety to please all. I experienced Blu, which left much to be desired, especially on Thanksgiving. Service was excellent and staff was friendly and warm. Okay, now the negatives.. There was a smell on the ship from the minute we arrived in Florida and it was never explained. The ship rolled and weaved constantly, even during the last two days when the seas were calm. As someone who gets seasick and was taking Bonine and wearing seabands, this was very disconcerting. The pools were constantly rolling and the water was always pouring out of them, even with 4 ft seas. The first two days at sea were brutal with the winds and waves. I met a man who had been a sailor for 20 years and he stated that he was even sick. The worst part was that when I asked for a weather report from the Guest deck, they acted as if I was asking for confidential information. Truly, I realize that many languages must be spoken by staff for passengers from many countries, but I had a terrible time getting them to understand me or communicate in English. I speak Spanish as well, so this helped with some crew. My biggest complaint would be the constant motion of the ship and the constant creaking everywhere, but especially in the cabins at night. It was very disconcerting and during Sunday and Monday, it was downright scary. Solstice has a beautiful pool deck and Sky lounge and yet, no bands or music at night or even dancing. This would have been a great draw for those of us in our 40's, who would like to stay up past 10p and have something to do other than gamble. I dont want a Carnival college party, but some good music with dancing would have been great. I relaxed on port days when the ship wasnt rolling, but I have a feeling that the initial Stabilizer problem when the ship went back to dry dock in Germany, was never really repaired. Overall, the staff and crew were friendly and happy to help, but guest relations left a lot to be desired. My accounts were double charged and never resolved. I called all during the cruise, without any resolution or someone getting back with me. My son was charged for a casino fee, which no one could produce a check for and it was not removed. I now have to dispute it with the Celebrity customer service. The cabana issue is valid and they were constantly "held" with towels and no one was ever in them, so you never got a shot at them. The sun was only out on one side of the pool deck and all chairs were utilized or "held" by the people in the next chair who did not want them taken. Now, the most important issue for me... My sons are 20 and 17, and although they are young adults, they are still underage for drinking by Celebrity's rules. They were constantly offered alcohol all day, and not just beer, definately hard stuff at the pool, without anyone even questioning their age. There should be an arm band ID, showing under 21 yo persons if they want to enforce drinking age of 21. You can just take anyone else's card and get all of the alcohol you want and charge their card, if they let you. No one even looked at it for ID. At least put an age on the card for scanning. Also, I paid extra for Aquaclass, thinking that the Solarium was for adults and those with Aquaclass status. Everyone, including very young children were in the Solarium all day. I think that CC class would have been sufficient for the difference between the two.

Sorry, for the negativity but I was very much looking forward to this trip and although there were some fine aspects, it was definately not an overall posiitve experience for us.

I did write a review that wasn't all praises but I did note some good points about the ship itself. However, my husband did overhear someone say they did get a free cruise on the ship because they were with Cruise Critic. He is horrible with describing what someone looks like, so I hope whoever that person is will identify that fact before writing a review. I frankly thought nothing of it until I read this thread.

We smelled the sewage smell on the corner between the aft elevators and stairs on (I think) the starboard side. We smelled it first after we boarded and at different points during the cruise, though not consistently. Never saw a dog use the lawn (though I agree its rather useless). I liked the cruise director, though the asking for applause or a good evening a second time got really old as did the spend money so the accountants will be happy, but everyone has their own style. We did sit in different areas of the theater and farther back right behind the speakers was considerably louder than other parts of the theater. If the noise bothers you, next show go to a different part of the theater. Second floor seemed to be pretty good for sound where we sat the 2 times up there.

Never saw a dog use the lawn (though I agree its rather useless). I liked the cruise director, though the asking for applause or a good evening a second time got really old as did the spend money so the accountants will be happy, but everyone has their own style. /quote]

I never actually saw one of the dogs using the lawn, but I did see several round burned spots on the lawn that looked like P-mail spots to me. The dogs were very well behaved when I saw them - in fact they behaved better than some of the passengers.

I was offended that a cruise director would stand up and tell us we needed to go donate money in the casino so that Celebrity could build more ships, It's tacky. As is asking for applause for himself.

Apparently some folks don't know what a Master of Ceremonies does. It's a common thing for them to ask for applause for the performers at the end of the show. They always tell you what venues are open after the show, including the casino. Of course they want people to patronize the casino, nothing unusual about that. I doubt they will drag anyone in there.

While I have just returned and had the opportunity to experience the Solstice, I have to say, I definately agree with some of the negatives mentioned. I have been on two other cruises, so here goes...

The ship is absolutely beautiful, open, airy and esthetically magnificent. The food in the buffet was fantastic with variety to please all. I experienced Blu, which left much to be desired, especially on Thanksgiving. Service was excellent and staff was friendly and warm. Okay, now the negatives.. There was a smell on the ship from the minute we arrived in Florida and it was never explained. The ship rolled and weaved constantly, even during the last two days when the seas were calm. As someone who gets seasick and was taking Bonine and wearing seabands, this was very disconcerting. The pools were constantly rolling and the water was always pouring out of them, even with 4 ft seas. The first two days at sea were brutal with the winds and waves. I met a man who had been a sailor for 20 years and he stated that he was even sick. The worst part was that when I asked for a weather report from the Guest deck, they acted as if I was asking for confidential information. Truly, I realize that many languages must be spoken by staff for passengers from many countries, but I had a terrible time getting them to understand me or communicate in English. I speak Spanish as well, so this helped with some crew. My biggest complaint would be the constant motion of the ship and the constant creaking everywhere, but especially in the cabins at night. It was very disconcerting and during Sunday and Monday, it was downright scary. Solstice has a beautiful pool deck and Sky lounge and yet, no bands or music at night or even dancing. This would have been a great draw for those of us in our 40's, who would like to stay up past 10p and have something to do other than gamble. I dont want a Carnival college party, but some good music with dancing would have been great. I relaxed on port days when the ship wasnt rolling, but I have a feeling that the initial Stabilizer problem when the ship went back to dry dock in Germany, was never really repaired. Overall, the staff and crew were friendly and happy to help, but guest relations left a lot to be desired. My accounts were double charged and never resolved. I called all during the cruise, without any resolution or someone getting back with me. My son was charged for a casino fee, which no one could produce a check for and it was not removed. I now have to dispute it with the Celebrity customer service. The cabana issue is valid and they were constantly "held" with towels and no one was ever in them, so you never got a shot at them. The sun was only out on one side of the pool deck and all chairs were utilized or "held" by the people in the next chair who did not want them taken. Now, the most important issue for me... My sons are 20 and 17, and although they are young adults, they are still underage for drinking by Celebrity's rules. They were constantly offered alcohol all day, and not just beer, definately hard stuff at the pool, without anyone even questioning their age. There should be an arm band ID, showing under 21 yo persons if they want to enforce drinking age of 21. You can just take anyone else's card and get all of the alcohol you want and charge their card, if they let you. No one even looked at it for ID. At least put an age on the card for scanning. Also, I paid extra for Aquaclass, thinking that the Solarium was for adults and those with Aquaclass status. Everyone, including very young children were in the Solarium all day. I think that CC class would have been sufficient for the difference between the two.

Sorry, for the negativity but I was very much looking forward to this trip and although there were some fine aspects, it was definately not an overall posiitve experience for us.

A lot of people were sea sick on Monday, including my two sons. I was amazed that many of the crew also said that they felt sick. We were on the 12th floor, and it did rock and roll. Our cabin creaked, but I think it's just the settling of the ship. I was surprised that there was no mention of rough seas and when we would expect it to get better.

There were children (maybe age 9 or 10) with their parents in the hot tubs in the solarium. The pool butlers didn't ask them to leave. I was disappointed that the solarium pool wasn't heated. It was quite chilly.

We danced at the sky lounge on deck 14. Great music and some wonderful dancers out there.

The ship is gorgeous, and the crew that we encountered were fabulous.

We loved the food at the speciality restaurants, and ate there 5 nights out of seven. We thought the lunch at the Oceanview Cafe was great. Wonderful variety. Our sons liked having pizza at 2:00AM at the OceanView.

I think the only disappointment and many said the same, was lack of more festivities for a inaugural voyage. It didn't feel that much different from a regular sailing.

We'll be going back soon, and I'm sure they will work out all the little tweaks.

Mari

Asking for applause is wonderful but why do you have to ask everyone to applaud twice for every act? The times he didn't have to do that were the lecturers who had a bunch of applause without the cruise director's direction. I have acted as MC at many events and sometimes you do need to encourage extra applause but not for every single act, especially during the first night's show where there are a bunch of acts. I liked Nick very much but that is one area that is a bit annoying but I saw him all over the ship talking with passengers and facilitating their vacation experience personally which was absolutely excellant. You can't expect he would impress everyone totally all the time,

...However, my husband did overhear someone say they did get a free cruise on the ship because they were with Cruise Critic. He is horrible with describing what someone looks like, so I hope whoever that person is will identify that fact before writing a review. I frankly thought nothing of it until I read this thread...

Ahh that it would be true. A free cruise. Sigh. If your husband, or the person he heard say that, can pull the necessary strings to get us a free cruise, please get them going!

We Hosts are volunteers and the most we get for being Hosts is a Cruise Critic Tee Shirt and a 20% discount in the Cruise Critic store on our birthday.

I guarantee you that the commentaries written by Anne, Andy and Joe about the just concluded sailing on the Solstice were all honest and independent appraisals.

And I guarantee you, having worked with Anne and Joe as co-Hosts (Celebrity and HAL, respectively) for several years, they speak their mind and will never hold back if things were not satisfactory.

Count on it. If they say the cruise was good, it was really good, and if there were aspects that weren't so good, you would, for sure, know that because they would definitely report their honest opinion.

I am hopeful this thread will continue on a helpful tone for the benefit of those of us who have not yet gotten a chance on board--

I know I will pack extra bonine & my bands--just in case..& will check our acount daily which we do anyhow. Have also learned some tips that will save time & maybe even money--so thanks to cc & keep the comments coming...

Archived