Mazatlan Stone Island Victors

paulagualalala

Thanks, Steve & Sherri. I appreciated the reply and additional information. It arrived just in time for our MR sailing this Saturday!!! Kim

Have a great cruise. Please post when you get back if you have any other tidbits of info for us that might help.

We will be going in March.

jannyb

Do you have to pay to rent the chairs and umbrellas at Victors?

Also, does anyone have a picture of the boat that we will take over to Stone Island? Since I am the "planner", I just want to make sure I know what to look for. Do they run often back and forth? Thanks in advance.

Also, does anyone have a picture of the boat that we will take over to Stone Island? Since I am the "planner", I just want to make sure I know what to look for. Do they run often back and forth? Thanks in advance.

I'm leaving on the Pride this Sunday and a group of us are planning on going to Stone Island for the day. From what I heard from a friend you don't have to pay rent at Victor's, just a tip when you leave at the end of the day. We are also planning on renting some ATV's on the beach. A friend just got back and they said it was awesome. I seriously can't wait. I'll post some pics when I get back.

You can set anywhere you want at Victors if you are drinking or eating there....here is a photo of the water taxi's you will take.

2533320970069949464S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks, Steve & Sherri. I appreciated the reply and additional information. It arrived just in time for our MR sailing this Saturday!!! Kim

Kim....have a great cruise and let us know just how much you liked it.....also if you are going to Stone Is., watch out for those shells when walking barefoot.(see photo on page 1 of this thread)

You can set anywhere you want at Victors if you are drinking or eating there....here is a photo of the water taxi's you will take.

Wow, ours didn't have a fancy top like this one, we suffered all that say in an open boat........lol!

Wow, ours didn't have a fancy top like this one, we suffered all that say in an open boat........lol!

We only took the water taxi over to Stone Is. and back, so we would not have cared if it had a top or not....but it was awful hot the day we were there so the top was nice.

To answer the question on how often do they run.....it is only a couple hundred yards or so across to the dock on the other side....I think they keep an eye out and when they see someone walk up to the other dock, they send a taxi over to pick them up......soon after we walked up, a water taxi came to get us.

I'm leaving on the Pride this Sunday and a group of us are planning on going to Stone Island for the day. From what I heard from a friend you don't have to pay rent at Victor's, just a tip when you leave at the end of the day. We are also planning on renting some ATV's on the beach. A friend just got back and they said it was awesome. I seriously can't wait. I'll post some pics when I get back.

Great. Enjoy your cruise. :D

Thank you for the picture. For some reason I had images of a real old klunker that would break down on us on the way. :eek:

Kim....have a great cruise and let us know just how much you liked it.....also if you are going to Stone Is., watch out for those shells when walking barefoot.(see photo on page 1 of this thread)

Will do! I think we are definitely going to Stone Island. I have read lots of posts with directions & suggestions. We will DEFINITELY watch out for those shells. How big are they? They look like they would be quite noticeable, but possibly that is just because of the close up shot.

Once again, I appreciated your information and photos! We sail away on the Sapphire Princess tomorrow. Hooray! I'm sure we will take a lot of photos as well; however, we haven't set up any web pages for display. Kim

OK, about the liquor on Stone Island. My wife had maragaritas at Letys in 07. Is the liquor prohibition new?

Were they from a pre-mixed bottle or an actual bottle of Tequila? It has been my understanding from several threads in the past and mazatlanmike that no hard alcohol could be sold on the island. Chris at Victor's told us the same when we were there in 4/2006. I do know that we didn't take our cruise ship's excursion to Stone Island, we went on our own, but we did visit the group that did come over from the ship and their tour included an open bar while they were there. But this open bar was basically a help yourself to whatever pre-mixed drinks they had in the dispensers. We were also told this by some locals there that beer was sold everywhere but only some of the beach restaurants served pre-mixed drinks not high in alcohol. If anyone else knows more, please feel free to fill me in. :)

Great. Enjoy your cruise. :D

Thank you for the picture. For some reason I had images of a real old klunker that would break down on us on the way. :eek:

Ours didn't look that nice either...in fact...he had a hard time getting it started!

Is it possible to swim at Stone island?? We ara travelling with kids and we love to swim in the ocean.

Yes you can.....it is really shallow for a long ways out....until you get past the first small breakers the water is kind of dirty because of the sand and because so shallow.....once you get past that the water gets really nice.

It was up to a whopping $2pp two months ago (that's for a round trip). $27 bucks is about right.

As far as pesos vs. USD - the peso goes almost %38 further, ($100usd gets you about $1345mxn). Two months ago everywhere we went was 10peso to the dollar (the bill was $27usd or $270mxn, you choice).

We are going to MR in 4 weeks..I was wondering about what the exchange rate was in the shops and restaurants. I didn't know if it was better then the "easy" 10 to 1. I was just planning on get pesos out of an ATM in the first port since its above 13 to 1 (approaching 14 to1). With your post, you made my decision easy. Thanks!

WOLFSHADOW What date are you going to be at Victors as I need to get a message to Chris. I have 18 people going there thursday april 30th

If you will be there before that it would be great if you could warn him ;}

I plan on getting to Victor's on March 23rd on our NCL cruise. I could try to leave a message for you. Any certain info I need to let Chris know besides 18 ppl on April 30th?

jannyb

WOLFSHADOW What date are you going to be at Victors as I need to get

a message to Chris. I have 18 people going there thursday april 30th

If you will be there before that it would be great if you could warn him ;}

Just in case you didn't see my answer on the CA Cruisers thread, I said that I will be happy to warn....hmmm...tell him for you.......lol.....since Carl and I will be there the day before you. I also said, that we would try to not eat all of the shrimp either! :eek:

Ours was not nearly that nice but it did the job

I was basically teasing because ours was kind of like that one but it did not have a top on it and it wasn't as freshly painted. Not to mention that it only took a few minutes to get across the channel and it was still early morning so that it wasn't that hot yet! :D

Just got back from the MR on Sunday, and Stone Island was my favorite!!! The directions the OP gave were perfect. I just printed the directions and took them with me.

The boat did the job. We were the first "tourists" on the boat. We got there along with all the vendors and took the boat over with them. Once we were there our main thing was to do ATV's. We heard good things about Victor's so we went there and the server called the guy with the ATV's, and they brought 4 of them to us. We did have some problems with the ATV's not being maintained, but they were good about fixing the problems and we got a replacement vehicle. He originally quoted us $35 each, but we said no and he dropped it down to $30.00. The beach you drive on is dirty so you have to watch where you are driving, but it was so fun!!!

We also ate at Molakay's which was very good. I had the coconut shrimp and the others in my group had fish tacos.

IMG_7299.jpg.12a2fab85802c73bb6384a19ea0eefa8.jpg

IMG_7303.jpg.2eab9ff3fa9f561483d796b22d964dd3.jpg

IMG_7317.jpg.a092be1b74ba643ae320c0434ae8f68f.jpg

IMG_7318.jpg.fa08051ece267ee5e8b41c02e896bd2b.jpg

IMG_7328.jpg.a68cf2de3775a4fce2063689c5277b9c.jpg

I picked up a lot of good advice on this thread prior to our cruise last week. I posted the following on another thread but thought I would repeat it here:

Took the water taxi to Stone Island (200 pesos each round trip, paid $2 US since we hadn't converted our currency). Please note that the water taxis require a little balancing skill to get in and out. We had to step onto the bow off the dock, nothing too hard.

Walked the beach at Stone Island and ate lunch at Lety's (the place next to Victor's). Had an excellent lunch (1/2 garlic shrimp/ 1/2 cocoanut shrimp and the fish plate) and a couple of drinks for $22. Had to say "No Gracias" about every 1.5 minutes to various vendors as we ate - not a problem. Please note that the restaurants on Stone Island are not for the picky. These are not your health department approved squeeky clean chain restaurants - they are rustic in every way. We met people who had come to Stone Island on tours who were appalled at the idea of eating there. However, it was exactly what we wanted (and we didn't die or catch any thing that we know about yet).

Decided to walk further south along the beach to a place in front of the RV area and lay out. This was beyond all the tourist areas so we had a quiet hour or so (i.e. no vendors).

Hmmmm...... that many vendors and a dirty beach??? Sounds like it's changed since I was there in April, 2006. There were very few vendors and the beach was spotless. I guess I'll see if any differences this April, I hope not too many though! :rolleyes:

Hmmmm...... that many vendors and a dirty beach??? Sounds like it's changed since I was there in April, 2006. There were very few vendors and the beach was spotless. I guess I'll see if any differences this April, I hope not too many though! :rolleyes:

There wasn't nearly as many vendors on Stone Island as the beaches in the downtown area in Puerto Vallarta. We ate at Molokay's and the vendor's aren't allowed in there so it was nice to relax without shaking my head and saying no every 30 seconds. The only dirty part of the beach was past the restaurant huts where we were ATVing. There was a couple of washed up whales and one dolphin. A couple stray dogs and lots of mis-matched shoes, litter and coconut shells.