Statendam - Oct 16 - A Sea Day

Krazy Kruizers

A wonderful, sunny sea day. There are a lot of activities to keep everyone busy. Noticed today that the soda cards are now on sale for $68.25 for 20 days. We stopped in the card room and saw this posted (never saw this type of notice on any other 'dam' ship): "When bridge games and instruction are scheduled in the daily program, priority for use of the card tables belongs to the bridge players. Players playing other games are welcome to use the tables not needed by the bridge players and are welcome to use the tables at any other time." - (Posted in 1999). Needless to say when we checked the daily program there was bridge instruction and regular play scheduled for most of the day. We also discovered that one evening won't be set aside for the Sommelier's Dinner (like we had on the Maasdam). You can choose whatever evening you want for this special dinner. The price is still the same - $50 per person. Doubt if we will do it as we enjoyed doing that dinner with a group of people. The Pinnacle is also going to offer a couple of special wine luncheons for $20 per person. The Pinnacle Grill will also be open for lunch every day at $10 per person. The menu is different than the regular dining room (and does not change - same menu every day) - but as the days passed, we discovered that most of the items offered on the Pinnacle luncheon menu were offered some time in the regular dining room. Some of the girls from the salon were walking around the ship passing out fliers, trying to drum up business. We noticed that there is a Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Cart beside the Lido Pool - $1.75 for a scoop of either vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Asked some questions about this. It was introduced on this ship a couple of months ago - sales not good - we were told that they are lucky to sell a scoop every couple of days. The boutiques have Cruzan Rum Cakes as well as Tortuga Rum Cakes on sale. The Cruzan Rum cakes are 22 oz and come in a tin can - normal price $17.95 - on sale at 50% off. The big electronic map by the Ocean Map has yet to be programmed for our cruise. Right outside of the library there are 2 of those 'pay' relaxer chairs (have yet to see anyone put money in them on any ship to relax).

A lot of people didn't know that the clocks had been advanced one hour during the night. The daily program we got last night for today listed the wrong day. Notes were put under everyone's cabin doors but many people had already gone gone to bed and didn't read them until after they got up today.

Tonight was the Captain's Welcome Party. As we arrived and got in line, we were informed that the captain wouldn't be shaking hands with anyone because of the virus. Before the captain introduced anyone, he spent 5 - 6 minutes talking about the Norvo Virus (it must be hiding somewhere on our ship). We have noticed that hand sanitizers have been placed in many areas on the ship. The captain also explained that we left San Diego late because of a medical emergency (a woman had fallen and broke her collar bone) and we had to load extra supplies. There were very few people dressed up - very few tuxedos - big disappointment.

Best announcement of the day - 9:10 AM - large pod of porpoises on the port side. There were at least 50 - 60 porpoises! What a wonderful sight!

Amazing how many different things are going on, on different ships! Not too surprised about the luncheon fee in the Pinnacle, I guess they have to make some money somewhere! What I have found on a 21 day cruise, pax aren`t as free with their spending as on a 7 day cruise. It was the same on our 21 day repo cruise in the Spring, everyone was soliciting at every turn, and the bars were empty on most nights......jean :cool:

Forgot to mention.

Today there was a wine tasting from 2 - 2:45 PM. It was $7.50 per person. If you went you received a $10 discount on any wine purchased during this time event.

Also at 2:30 there was a margarita demonstration - showed you how to make all types of margaritas - a couple of people got to sample a couple of them.

At 11 PM there was the 50's Prom Party.

For years I've said that either Ben or Jerry was going to be my next husband---and it didn't particularly matter which one it was.:D

But, I won't pay extra for their ice cream on a cruise ship!

I'm glad to read that the fee-for ice cream isn't going over too well. If it were to become popular we could all say "good-bye" to the free ice cream in the Lido.

Guest Celestia

Also noted on Circle Hawaii 9/30-10/15....no begging us to buy soda cards, but much begging, flyer pressing *insisting* that we take one on the part of the spa girlies...we both feel the 'spa' to be one of the most unhealthful places on any ship....pushing the nearly always empty Pinnacle....sigh.

I'd been warned about the Art Auctions and the Bingo Announcements, but could avoid the first and ignore the second (don't know why but the 'cruise assistant' who announced these had the most annoying vocal style I've ever heard, and it took us three days to figure out he wasn't using a profane word).

FW&FS,

Celestiaick

Archived