LIVE LIVE LIVE from the MARINER with MERION MOM for 53 DAYS!!!

Merion_Mom

Does anyone that went to the ship doctor or anyone that didn't.. know what the medically term for the crud we had on ship was?

I am almost over it now, I caught it twice..first after we left Bueneou Aires and then again after we left Costa Rica..the second time was a killer..about 8 days now..and now Glenda is getting it.. What the heck is this stuff?

Paul, not everyone had the same thing.

Doc told me that mine was bronchitis. And I certainly felt it in my lungs!

Simply known as "Cruise Cough" or you could call it "Cruise Crud"

I do know the CDC came on board in LA and was going over the ship, due to the length of the trip and the large number of health problems reported.

Anyone recall if Ken had it?

George, when Cindy and I were both mildly sick on the first leg, we called it Kennel Cough. :D

With much anticipation I daily read all the posts from you and the people that knew you.

Being an outsider I hope you have the time to answer my curious questions.

Carol:

How the heck did you pack all the clothes you needed for this long cruise.

Did you wear your formal wear a couple times, or did you use laundry services.

Did you ship home clothes.

Just wondering how many suitcases did you fly with.

Keep your posts coming now that you are home to tell about your experiences.

Thanks so much for your time.

Later

I certainly wore clothes more than once.

I did use the laundry service, twice. I also did my own laundry at a laundromat in Merritt Island after the first week. After I dropped my daughter off at the airport, before I returned to the Mariner, I stopped to shop and do laundry.

I had three bags.

On the way down, one bag was attributed to my daughter, who only had one.

Each of us was entitled to two checked bags, because we were on Southwest Air. On the way home, when I had three, I paid a mere $25 for bag #3.

Sue, had you shared "OMG" with anyone? You never sent *me* the photo, so I hope that it isn't lost forever!!!!!!!!!

Carol, I have a good shot of OMG if you want, I think I can get Glenda to let go of it for a while so i can send to:rolleyes: u a copy.

let me know ..

Paul

Simply known as "Cruise Cough" or you could call it "Cruise Crud".

I do know the CDC came on board in LA and was going over the ship, due to the length of the trip and the large number of health problems reported.

re: " due to the length of the trip and the large number of health problems reported."

George, do you know this to be a fact, I mean, the REASON for the inspection ?

What I saw was very consistent with the routine Vessel Sanitation Program of the Centers for Disease Control. A U.S. Public Health Service guy was inspecting the food service areas of the Windjammer on the morning of our departure, along with Adolph, the Head Food and Beverage guy for RCI. This previously unannounced 'surprise' inspection (which is their usual method of operation) is why the Windjammer had to close up breakfast early on our departure morn, leaving many of us hungry and upset.

US Public Health Service inspectors examine the primary sanitation systems of all ships that make port calls in the United States. They do these ship inspections twice a year, and they are NOT announced - so, they are always surprise inspections when they occur. They only do these inspections when the ships are at US ports.

The last time the Mariner had a VSP inspection was in August 2008, and scored a 99 (out of 100), with the deduction being for a backflow valve on one of the sinks in the Windjammer. It was probably about time for the regular VSP inspection anyway. It did not seem to me to be an unusual inspection. (I have had experience working with the Centers for Disease Control in their Infectious Diseases and Vaccine-Preventable Diseases programs while I was an Associate Professor of Family Medicine at the Medical College of Georgia.)

Also, the CDC and the ship's medical center only routinely monitor and report for food-borne illnesses and gastrointestinal disease outbreaks, especially the Norovirus. Respiratory crud is not required to be a routinely monitored and epidemiologically-reported diagnosis on cruise ships.

The last time there was a norovirus outbreak on a Royal Caribbean ship was on the Liberty of the Seas in 2007. The only documented Norovirus outbreak thus far for 2009 has been on the Celebrity Mercury from Jan 3-17.

The scores for (what I think was a routine) VSP inspection done on the Mariner on our last day will probably be reported in about two weeks, after which the ship formulates their corrective actions and responses. These Vessel Sanitation Scores are public information. Here's a link to the most recent available reports on the Mariner of the Seas: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/vsp/InspectionQueryTool/Forms/InspectionScoresAll.aspx?Vessel=7288

Sorry to be such a nit-picker about this, but I don't think we should report or surmise that the CDC was onboard searching for some kind of a cause of an outbreak of a respiratory thing when we have no evidence that they were.

Jeannine

Judy & I got home with no problems on Friday, went to the store on Saturday, paid the cat sitters Sunday ($900 for the 47 days), went to the Doctor Monday for Judy's cold and followup for me.

He was amazed I had lost 36 pounds from the last time I saw him 2 1/2 months ago. Another 30 or 40 pounds and I'll be happy.

Judy is still coughing and feeling rotten. Hope she gets better soon

I'm starting to feel better. Will go through the pictures this week and post them on my Webshots. Will do a review when Judy feels better.

Glad to see it looks like everyone got home safe. Remember to send emails to RCI to praise anyone who gave you excellent service.

Michael and Nash are probably back home in South Africa now. Michael got a spider bite in Costa Rica that got infected. He had to have it lanced in Cabo and was off work a couple days. I saw him on Thursday and he was doing good. I thanked him for all he did for us and wished him a safe trip home.

I have the OMG pictures if anyone wants them. I'm sure Patrick still has them, too.

Our kitties wanted a lot of petting the first night we were home. Delilah sat on my lap for about 10 minutes which is 9 1/2 more than she normally does.

Relating to the inspection....

We boarded for the 1-nighter and the food inspector was still inspecting. This was noticable only because the bartenders could not put fruit on our drinks for garnish or use them in drinks ie: mojito's, etc. At the time, we weren't able to get blended drinks either. The garnish was eventually added later in the evening. We could get mojitos, but no caipirinah's (no reason given... I think they just didn't get their delivery of cachaca.) Blended drinks were never released that night... not sure if they were for the 2-nighter. I think they fully expected to be serving blended drinks because the machines were all full with ice. But they were not allowed to use them. We did have plenty of fresh fruit the next morning at breakfast.

So take it for what you willl with that information. :) We did not get sick. But 2 CC'ers on the 1-nighter that I know of did.

Hi fellow Hornblowers! It's great to be back home, have a washer and dryer, sleep in our own bed -- but no concierge lounge!

Jim and I had an amazing experience at the Magic Castle in Hollywood(thanks again, Don!). If anyone ever gets a chance to go there, do it.

We also walked on the red carpet (on plastic, of course) and enjoyed seeing it again on tv.

We both went to the doctor yesterday with guess what -- bronchitis. After two shots and a pack of Ztabs each we hope to shake it. Horrible stuff.

Carol, I haven't seen a report on the flooding, might have missed it. Your friends were wonderful to move things to the garage. Hope you didn't lose too much. Thanks again for the Sprite in the shuttle - I'll bring you one on the next cruise!

Zu, how horrible about your missing bag. Sounds like you'll get lots of photos though. The luggage area was crazy and nobody should have to deal with their bags without help.

Take care everyone, and thanks for helping to make this a fabulous cruise!

Trish and Jim

Judy's sister gave her a cough remedy that seems to work. The doctor even wanted the recipe.

Cough Remedy

1 cup water

2 tablespoons vinegar

2 to 4 tablespoons honey

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Take 1 to 2 tablespoons as needed

Next time you want to cruise, buy me a cheap air ticket and I will babysit the kitties for free!!! Absolutely no charge for "poop" patrol.

Or let me know when you want to go again, and I will schedule a cruise around your dates and pay my own air fare. $900 that is ridiculous. Hope you send them a 1099.

Hope Judy gets well real soon.

I so enjoyed most of the people from the CC. And thank you again to ALL for the hard work you did to make this a once in a lifetime experience. Too many wonderful individuals to mention and with my oncoming dementia, will surely forget someone.

I need a cabinmate, anyone willing to take a chance on me?

Have suitcase, and BRA, will travel!!!!

Carol....hope there wasn't too much damage...good thing, all will look better after it is repaired.

Thanks to Rick and Bobbie, and The Divas for the fun hospitality visits to their luxurious suites.

Already have my "certificates" up on the wall. (It is covering a punch hole :D)

Judy & I got home

I have the OMG pictures if anyone wants them. I'm sure Patrick still has them, too.

We were not on your tour but would like to SEE OMG for ourselves:D.....just click in signature below...thank you

Get lots of rest and sleep Judy....hopefully it just takes time. Alan and I self medicated and we're fine....:)

Next time you want to cruise, buy me a cheap air ticket and I will babysit the kitties for free!!! Absolutely no charge for "poop" patrol.

Or let me know when you want to go again, and I will schedule a cruise around your dates and pay my own air fare. $900 that is ridiculous. Hope you send them a 1099.

Hope Judy gets well real soon.

I so enjoyed most of the people from the CC. And thank you again to ALL for the hard work you did to make this a once in a lifetime experience. Too many wonderful individuals to mention and with my oncoming dementia, will surely forget someone.

I need a cabinmate, anyone willing to take a chance on me?

Have suitcase, and BRA, will travel!!!!

Carol....hope there wasn't too much damage...good thing, all will look better after it is repaired.

Thanks to Rick and Bobbie, and The Divas for the fun hospitality visits to their luxurious suites.

Already have my "certificates" up on the wall. (It is covering a punch hole :D)

Doris, the certificates were wonderful! The map and clipart are great reminders of a "once in a lifetime" trip. Thanks for the design.

Helen

Does anyone that went to the ship doctor or anyone that didn't.. know what the medically term for the crud we had on ship was?

I am almost over it now, I caught it twice..first after we left Bueneou Aires and then again after we left Costa Rica..the second time was a killer..about 8 days now..and now Glenda is getting it.. What the heck is this stuff?

Gayle and I are hacking, too. We just had very mild cases during the trip (leg 2, I think), but it really caught us on day 45. So there is hope we'll get over it? It's been a week now. We're still traveling, so no time to visit a doctor yet.

Judy & I got home with no problems on Friday, went to the store on Saturday, paid the cat sitters Sunday ($900 for the 47 days), went to the Doctor Monday for Judy's cold and followup for me.

He was amazed I had lost 36 pounds from the last time I saw him 2 1/2 months ago. Another 30 or 40 pounds and I'll be happy.

Judy is still coughing and feeling rotten. Hope she gets better soon

I'm starting to feel better. Will go through the pictures this week and post them on my Webshots. Will do a review when Judy feels better.

Glad to see it looks like everyone got home safe. Remember to send emails to RCI to praise anyone who gave you excellent service.

Michael and Nash are probably back home in South Africa now. Michael got a spider bite in Costa Rica that got infected. He had to have it lanced in Cabo and was off work a couple days. I saw him on Thursday and he was doing good. I thanked him for all he did for us and wished him a safe trip home.

Our kitties wanted a lot of petting the first night we were home. Delilah sat on my lap for about 10 minutes which is 9 1/2 more than she normally does.

That had me laughing out loud! cute-kitty.jpg

Carol........off the subject of cruising..........how are you coming along with your home??? Flooding and new furnace????

I hope that your neighbors were able to save your treasures!!

Thanks again for the wonderful party in the RFS. I did not know that Piso Sour was sold in containers!! It's the national drink of Peru....for those that are wondering.

Also..........the chili dip from room service..........wonderful...and I never knew about it before. You are full of surprises!! (Bobbie later told me that she had been ordering this dish and loved it. She is good at keeping her husband in the dark. I feel like a mushroom!!):D

Rick

Carol........off the subject of cruising..........how are you coming along with your home??? Flooding and new furnace????

I hope that your neighbors were able to save your treasures!!

Thanks again for the wonderful party in the RFS. I did not know that Piso Sour was sold in containers!! It's the national drink of Peru....for those that are wondering.

Also..........the chili dip from room service..........wonderful...and I never knew about it before. You are full of surprises!! (Bobbie later told me that she had been ordering this dish and loved it. She is good at keeping her husband in the dark. I feel like a mushroom!!):D

Rick

The work is coming along. It began on Monday, and I have been told that I should have heat by the end of Wednesday, and all work should be finished on Thursday.

It will be nice to be able to shower in my own house, and not have to go to my friend's house. <sigh>

Yes, that chili dip WAS good, wasn't it? The Florentine pizza is surprisingly good, too.

(I love that saying about mushrooms. Of course, you left most of it out. I think that I'll enlighten those who aren't familiar with it.)

"They treat me like a mushroom - they keep me in the dark, and feed me............." :D

Judy's sister gave her a cough remedy that seems to work. The doctor even wanted the recipe.

Cough Remedy

1 cup water

2 tablespoons vinegar

2 to 4 tablespoons honey

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Take 1 to 2 tablespoons as needed

Paul, how do I get to your site? Thanks Woody

Archived