?? Nikon P80 ??

TxOCDMOM

Hello!

I have a question about the 'advanced' digital cameras. I have had three Nikon point and shoot cameras, loved all of them! I LOVE photography and want to get something a bit more advanced with more zoom and quality for my hobby. I don't think I'm ready for an SLR camera yet, but was looking at the Nikon P80 or something similar?

Does anyone have any advice for someone like me who has no idea where to start?! Thanks SO much!!:)

Hello!

I have a question about the 'advanced' digital cameras. I have had three Nikon point and shoot cameras, loved all of them! I LOVE photography and want to get something a bit more advanced with more zoom and quality for my hobby. I don't think I'm ready for an SLR camera yet, but was looking at the Nikon P80 or something similar?

Does anyone have any advice for someone like me who has no idea where to start?! Thanks SO much!!:)

Take the leap to SLR...I just did. Year after year I kept saying I wasn't ready, but my DH got me an SLR for Christmas, so now...I HAVE TO BE READY. I'm doing a lot of ready and practicing. YOU CAN DO IT!!:D

Take the leap to SLR...I just did. Year after year I kept saying I wasn't ready, but my DH got me an SLR for Christmas, so now...I HAVE TO BE READY. I'm doing a lot of ready and practicing. YOU CAN DO IT!!:D

What kind did you get? I dunno, I'm chicken, and not ready to spend that kind of money yet lol!:rolleyes:

What kind did you get? I dunno, I'm chicken, and not ready to spend that kind of money yet lol!:rolleyes:

I got a Nikon D90. If you're chicken because you don't think you can handle an SLR...YOU CAN! If you aren't ready or unable to spend that kind of money, that's understandable and certainly wise. I had no idea my husband was getting this for me for Christmas. He got it as a kit, with the camera, a lens, camera bag, and a memory card.

My other camera (P & S) will still be used as a secondary camera for those times when it's rainy or conditions that I don't want to bring the NIkon into. I have an Olympus 560UZ with a 12x zoom on it. I love it.

There really is a big difference between point and shoot cameras and SLR. First, forget how many megapixels. It really does not matter that much. A SLR will almost always outperform a P&S no matter how many pixels. Aside from the obvious ability to change lenses SLRs biggest benefit for me is shooting in low light. Because the image sensor in an SLR is so much bigger than a tiny P&S each pixel captures more light. Ex: In the cruise ship dinning room you need to use the flash to take a picture of your food or wife with a P&S which is annoying to everyone and the pictures have a hard flashed look. With a SLR you can take pictures without the annoying flash and you photos will have a more natural look.

If you are considering getting into SLR take a look at: Nikon, Canon and Sony. Once you pick a brand you will likely stay with them for a long while so now is a good time to look at the market and pick your brand. Since you have had Nikon P&S you might be more familiar with Nikon SLR menus and buttons but that is not a strong reason to lean that way. I would look at the features, benefits and costs of the three major brands. For me it would almost be a coin toss between Canon and Nikon. I would still strongy consider Sony. They are newer to the SLR market and are coming on strong.

I think Nikon has the best SLR bodies right now especially in their higher end models. They seem to have the best low light performance. Some of their current models are getting a bit old so I expect them to be retired soon and I would not consider them, but I would give a good look to their newer releases to insure you are getting the latest technology.

Canon is possibly the 800 pound gorilla in the camera industry. They seem to have the most lens choices (both new & old) and accessories available, though Nikon is not far behind. I find Canons image stabilization in their newer lenses to be slightly better than Nikons.

D90 is awfully nice but also expensive.

If cost is no problem, get the D90. ;)

I bought my D60 after five years of point-and-shoots

mainly because its body-size was small and I liked that

especially in view of the fact I'm a small-boned kinda person with small-to-average hands.

I didn't care what bells and whistles it had/or not, because after 2 Canon p&S's

I knew it was going to be vastly superior technology-wise

and I'd love it -which I do!

I liked its size.

The kit lens which comes with the D60 is very good too

and you'll be pleased with it, until you move up to something different, if that ever happens.

I replaced the 18-55 kit lens with the new-ish 18-105

and sold the kit lends for $125 to a lady friend with a D40, who was glad for it.

Mind you, I think the D90 comes with that 18-105 lens

so you may want to go that route(albeit for a lot more).

Compare prices!

I also bought a Sigma 10-20 superwide which takes pics like this..

Rockley-037.jpg

...I don't think I'm ready for an SLR camera yet...
I think this is where we should start--determining whether moving to DSLR is right for you.

What are you using now and what do you feel like you're missing out on?

More zoom requires extra lenses. Would you be willing to carry multiple lenses and change on the fly?

How about budget? You're probably looking at spending at least $700 at a minimum.

SLRs aren't magic. Yes, some pics will look better right out of the box, but learning to use manual settings and the right lens for the job is where you really get the benefit. Are you willing to learn?

All that said, here's the bottom line: you used the word "hobby" in your original post. You're probably ready. And go through Pierces' lessons on this board. That's time well spent.

D90 is awfully nice but also expensive.

If cost is no problem, get the D90. ;)

Mind you, I think the D90 comes with that 18-105 lens

so you may want to go that route(albeit for a lot more).

Compare prices!

I also bought a Sigma 10-20 superwide which takes pics like this..

Rockley-037.jpg

Yes, the D90 did come with the 18 - 105 lens. I love taking nature and sports photos as well as nighttime, so I will be saving my pennies for the 18 - 200mm. Love the photo with the wide angle. Might have to save up for a nice wide angle as well! I too have very small hands (size 3 1/2 ring) but so far have been able to handle the D90. Having the VR feature is very helpful :D

Yes, the D90 did come with the 18 - 105 lens. I love taking nature and sports photos as well as nighttime, so I will be saving my pennies for the 18 - 200mm. Love the photo with the wide angle. Might have to save up for a nice wide angle as well! I too have very small hands (size 3 1/2 ring) but so far have been able to handle the D90. Having the VR feature is very helpful :D
My humble advice... keep the 18-105 and add the 70-300VR. You'll have better image quality accross a greater range for far less money than the 18-200VR.

My humble advice... keep the 18-105 and add the 70-300VR. You'll have better image quality accross a greater range for far less money than the 18-200VR.

Appreciate the advice and I actually have been comparing the two and reading reviews. The one complaint that folks have said is the weight of the lens and that has me a little worried. Do you have this lens?

My humble advice... keep the 18-105 and add the 70-300VR.

You'll have better image quality across a greater range

for far less money than the 18-200VR.

My thoughts exactly.

There are too many optical compromises involved in making a lens(18-200)

with a range from moderate-wide-angle all the way out to fairly-strong-tele.

Even at the 105 end of the zoom-range on my 18-105 Nikkor

I see straight lines on ships being rendered as curves. Not cool.:(

Look low down, where black meets white and you'll see what I mean..

QM2-75.jpg

Queen Mary 2 - 18-105 Nikkor zoom.

I'm a newbie when it comes to pictures, I just happen to catch some great shots at times and love to WOW people. I just have the P&S cameras, one Nikon S210 and a NIKON S50 (I think) The S50 I got on Ebay and it took great pics, but it was broken on the side (new when I got it) so I had to TAPE it and was tired of having tape on the camera so got the S210, I think it's not as great of quality but very small and takes pretty good pics!

Mostly I want to be able to zoom more, not all of the time, but when I need to, I'd like to have that option. No, I do NOT want to carry around extra lenses and I don't want a huge bulky camera. I'm short and have small hands as others mentioned and I have a hard enough time with some of the P&S cameras. I know I've pretty much answered my own questions, I just like the feedback. I have no idea what you guys are talking about when you mention all of the different types of lenses and all of those numbers, I'm so clueless lol!

Thanks to all of you for your input!!:o

Appreciate the advice and I actually have been comparing the two and reading reviews. The one complaint that folks have said is the weight of the lens and that has me a little worried. Do you have this lens?
I do have it. It's somewhat bulky, but here's my story. I bought a D50 about 3 years ago. It came with an 18-55 and 55-200 lens. I also was into nature photography and 200mm wasn't enough, so I sold the 55-200 and got the 70-300VR. Then, needing a bit more range than 18-55 for vacations/walking around (not wanting to carry both), I got Sigma's version of the 18-200VR. It's just OK at best, but it serves its purpose.

Here's the deal, though. You already have a really good "walkaround" range in the 18-105, in my opinion. I don't see where the 18-200VR fits for you. But if you did get it, the first time you took a picture of any bird at 200mm, you would want more.

...Mostly I want to be able to zoom more, not all of the time, but when I need to, I'd like to have that option. No, I do NOT want to carry around extra lenses and I don't want a huge bulky camera. I'm short and have small hands as others mentioned and I have a hard enough time with some of the P&S cameras...
Ok, given what you've said, you should check out this thread.. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=893402

I have a d300 with 70-300VR, 18-70 and a 60mm 2.8. Right now I couldn't be happier with my lenses (my wife is probably cheering reading this) that I have right now. I did a lot of research into the 18-200, and the general consensus for me was that it was good at a lot but not really great. I would agree that if you want more zoom, I would go with the 70-300.

I do have it. It's somewhat bulky, but here's my story. I bought a D50 about 3 years ago. It came with an 18-55 and 55-200 lens. I also was into nature photography and 200mm wasn't enough, so I sold the 55-200 and got the 70-300VR. Then, needing a bit more range than 18-55 for vacations/walking around (not wanting to carry both), I got Sigma's version of the 18-200VR. It's just OK at best, but it serves its purpose.

Here's the deal, though. You already have a really good "walkaround" range in the 18-105, in my opinion. I don't see where the 18-200VR fits for you. But if you did get it, the first time you took a picture of any bird at 200mm, you would want more.

Ok...you guys sold me on this. Now I just have to save my nickels and dimes..LOL. Actually I'm hoping to get it before we cruise in April. And the good thing is, the attachement size (67mm) is the same as my other lens so my circular polarizer will fit either.

Gotta love this site!! :D

Hello!

As a owner of a D50 and a P80, along with many other cameras, I would say if you are use to point and shoots right now, a move to the P80 would be good. since you are use to a slower responding camera, you will get many of the advantages of the DSLR's. Big Lenses! The wife is the main user of the P80 right now and she is enjoying it alot! It is very versatile, it does macros to 18x zoom, with VR. What I can say about the VR on the P80 is that it is very good, about on line with my 70-300 VR lens on my D50. What you will find with the P80 is that it is not a put it in your pocket camera, but it is reasonabley light, and it feels like a feather in my hands. We bought an attachment so we can add filters to the lens so that is like DSLR's. Again like many P&S the flash is weak, the focus is slow in low light, and the camera is slow when the flash is used. I don't want to scare you off the camera, but if you don't think you want to move up yet the P80 will get you into the mode with out the cost. P80 $299 versus the D40 about $480 with many Nikons in the $1000's, and then you only get one lens! When you buy a DSLR you are buying a system, with the camera body being the heart of the system, something you will bulid around. and then you will buy lens, the soul of the system, and if your body goes bad, you replace it a new body, that has more goodies you think you need!

So at this time if you are not sure about your move, I would go with the P80for at least 2 years and see how it feels and you will know if you want to move up.

Good Luck and let us know how you go, and post pictures

Hello!

Slim/Compact P&S for your pocket or Purse: Any Canon SD

Super Zoom: Canon SX10 or Panasonic DMC FZ28

DSLR < 1K: Either Canon Rebel with kit lens

1K < DSLR < 1.5K: Nikon D90 with 18-105 VR kit

1.5K < DSLR < 2.0K: Nikon D300 with 18-200 VR or Canon 40D 18-200 IS

2.0K < DSLR < 2.5K Canon 50D and 18-200 IS

DSLR > 2.5K: Canon 5DMKII or Nikon D700 and another 4K for lens :D

• 1 month later...

I have a used 28-200 zoom Tamron lens that I may be willing to sell for the right price. It is in excellent condition, but is missing the original lens cap. Other than that it looks new. It was purchased in 2004 or 2005.

I got a Nikon D90. If you're chicken because you don't think you can handle an SLR...YOU CAN! If you aren't ready or unable to spend that kind of money, that's understandable and certainly wise. I had no idea my husband was getting this for me for Christmas. He got it as a kit, with the camera, a lens, camera bag, and a memory card.

My other camera (P & S) will still be used as a secondary camera for those times when it's rainy or conditions that I don't want to bring the NIkon into. I have an Olympus 560UZ with a 12x zoom on it. I love it.

Hey 2VACruzers, I noticed you are in Centerville, VA. My DW and I are in Germantown, MD. It is always nice to see locals on the site with the same interests.

Hey 2VACruzers, I noticed you are in Centerville, VA. My DW and I are in Germantown, MD. It is always nice to see locals on the site with the same interests.

Well howdy neighbor!! :D In the Floataway Lounge portion of cruise critic there's a thread called "Island Cruisers of VA/MD/DC" We've been chatting for years. Most of us are from Va but others have joined in here and there from neighboring states.

Archived