Can you get on and off the ship multiple times in Cozumel?

eastoftheboston

Maybe this belongs on the first-timers board, but I was about to book the Amazing Race excursion in Cozumel (Imagination, sailing 2/2/09) that runs from 3:30 to 7:30, the ship is in port from 1:00 to 10:00.

I have visions of wanting to shop etc., but not wanting to carry around anything we bought while trying to do the Amazing Race, is it a case where you could get back on the ship just to put stuff away, then leave again for your excursion? Or maybe I should just spend the first few hours in port on the ship relaxing and not worrying about this....

Any thoughts?

Maybe this belongs on the first-timers board, but I was about to book the Amazing Race excursion in Cozumel (Imagination, sailing 2/2/09) that runs from 3:30 to 7:30, the ship is in port from 1:00 to 10:00.

I have visions of wanting to shop etc., but not wanting to carry around anything we bought while trying to do the Amazing Race, is it a case where you could get back on the ship just to put stuff away, then leave again for your excursion? Or maybe I should just spend the first few hours in port on the ship relaxing and not worrying about this....

Any thoughts?

Yes, you can get off and on the ship as often as you want.

Any thoughts?

You can get on and off the ship as often and as many times as you like. It is a bit time consuming to do this but it is allowed. When we went to Cozumel in September, we got on and off the ship about 6 times but then again, we were fortunate enough to get to stay in Cozumel for two days. Go For It and Enjoy!!!!!!! My favorite port..... so far!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your help! It's my first cruise and I can't wait!!!! This message board has been invaluable! I'm not sure my cruise will be as fun as reading these boards and getting prepared for the cruise itself. Now it's time to go get some rum runner flasks :)
Just make sure the number of times you get on is equal to the number of times you get off. It is really bad if these two are not the same. :eek:

We've never been fortunate enough to be at a dock in Cozumel which left us with taking the huge tender each time. This process is very slow due to it taking so long to load the tender both ways. Just something to keep in mind depending on your situation.

We've never been fortunate enough to be at a dock in Cozumel which left us with taking the huge tender each time. This process is very slow due to it taking so long to load the tender both ways. Just something to keep in mind depending on your situation.

Cozumel does not have a tender. The ship docks directly at the pier.

Thank you for your help! It's my first cruise and I can't wait!!!! This message board has been invaluable! I'm not sure my cruise will be as fun as reading these boards and getting prepared for the cruise itself. Now it's time to go get some rum runner flasks :)

The rum runner flasks are delivered amazingly fast. I think we got them in about three days after ordering. Unfortunately, I forgot where I put them and to this date, we still have no idea where they are. Oh well, I'll just order more!!!!!!

Sure! And don't forget that if you don't want to eat the food at any port, you can always go back on the ship and eat "free". The ship's dining room and buffet will always be open during regular dining times, even while in port.

Not always the case. It depends on how many ships are in port that day. We tendered at Cozumel for the first time last Feb on the Fantasy.

I did not know that!!!!!! You really do learn something new everyday!!!!!!!!!!

Carnival just opened their new pier and restored port area 2 months ago. Their ships dock now and it's great. They sure spruced up the area and the pier itself is great.

Sure! And don't forget that if you don't want to eat the food at any port, you can always go back on the ship and eat "free". The ship's dining room and buffet will always be open during regular dining times, even while in port.

......but, live a little. I can highly recommend Pancho's backyard for real, authentic Mexican food, freshly prepared, delicious and priced right.

Carnival just opened their new pier and restored port area 2 months ago. Their ships dock now and it's great. They sure spruced up the area and the pier itself is great.

Oh, we must have just missed it. We were aboard the Triumph in September and docked downtown. IIRC, the Carnival facility is a mile or two north of the downtown docks. Is there a ready supply of taxis to take folks to the downtown area? We've been to Cozumel twice and the old docks were a good jumping off point (once you run the gauntlet of the mini-mall right at the pier).

Jim

Cozumel does not have a tender. The ship docks directly at the pier.

Cozumel had to use a tender for a while after the hurricane (don't remember which one) blew the original pier away. They were in the process of building the pier that we dock at now, but the only part they had finished was the section attached to the island not the part that's between the 2 ships now.

Keep in mind that where you dock in Cozumel depends on how many ships are in port with you. They want to dock as close to town as possible, but you could end up at any of the three piers.

You can get on and off as many times as you want. If you are near town, your idea is great, if you are having to take a taxi to town and back you may be pressed for time.

A word of caution. I find that shopping in Cozumel is very "dicey" at best. While you can sometimes get good deals you can often get taken. Be aware of the value of items and think twice especially if something is not marked. Remember a peso is worth about a dime. Make sure that they don't do what they tried to do to me, charge me dollars for something marked n pesos.

The dining room isn't always opened for lunch on port days. Buffet, deli, pizza, etc are available though.

Any thoughts?

Yes you may. I have gotten off on that ship many times while in port.;)

Archived