Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alhiller

Water taxi to Orient beach

Can anyone tell me if water taxis go to orient beach from the pier? and if so, how long it takes and how much is it? thx for your help.

The only water taxi from the pier is to Great Bay in downtown Philipsburg. To get to Orient, you'll need a taxi with wheels(i.e. a shared van). Here's my year-or-so-old mirrored rate chart from the SXM taxi site.

sxmtaxi.jpg

Proceed to the taxi stand as you exit the pier. Allow perhaps 45 minutes to get there. There are almost always taxis waiting at Pedro's for the return trip.

I believe that tom's rate chart dates from 2005.

In any event, the current rates to Orient are available here:

th_DSCN3859.jpg

(click)

gary

If the ship leaves at 6 PM, then the gangway is pulled at 5:30 PM. You have to allow time to pack your stuff, walk to an area where the cabs wait for pax, wait for the cab to fill up and then the drive, which should be 30 minutes, then the time to walk from the drop-off to your ship. I would start to pack up at 3:45 PM. There are stores at the pier plus flea market type shacks selling stuff plus shacks selling snacks and you can also take pictures of the ships from the pier.