Woodwind snorkel excursion... has anyone used them??

SuperLarz

We will be in Bonaire in February and have booked Woodwind for our snorkel excursion. I've heard the snorkeling is so fabulous in Bonaire, that I didn't want to risk missing out on anything by trying to do it on my own.

Also, I love that the Woodwind includes lunch and an open bar... makes for a very fun day!

I found some comments about them in another thread, but I can't remember where it was. Everyone seemed to have good things to say.

If anyone has any experience with them, I would love to hear it!

Thanks so much!

Ahoy!

This is a blurb regarding the Woodwind Folks on a recent sail. We really enjoyed the Woodwind Sail & Snorkel tour. I'll also link to the overall cruise review (26 day Amazon Explorer cruise) that covers several Caribbean ports. You'll need to scroll down a bit on the "Roll Call" to find the entire review. If you decide to take the "sail" please give Dee a hug from us (Bob & Judy).

"BONAIRE, ANTILLES (0800-1800): We had booked a four hour sail & snorkel with the Woodwind catamaran folks (woodwind@telbonet.an /$50 pp). We met Dee, co-owner & captain for the day, @0930 and were aboard and out of the waters a bit after 1000. The tour included snorkeling #2 reefs areas with both Dee & Nina, the photographer. We were organized into two small groups of 5-6 so that the group leaders Dee and Nina could identify and point out the various tropical fish, invertebrates and coral formations of interest. Lunch was provided as were beers, liquors and sodas as part of the tour. The catamaran was well maintained, the snorkeling equipment was first rate and Dee was an excellent guide & host. Following the excursion, we wandered around the plaza by the pier where vendors had their souvenirs & wares on display. The port itself, Kralendijk (pronounce Kralen-dike), and nearby beaches appeared clean & “tourist friendly”."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=434425&page=28

Have a GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

• 2 weeks later...

We had a snorkel/sail with Woodwind last week. De was exactly where we were told she would be. We met at 1:30 as the Summit did not dock until 1pm. We shopped around the market area waiting for all the other passengers on the excursion to arrive and walked to the Woodwind at 2:00. As we sailed out De gave a very concise overview of the excursion and very clear instruction on safety measures. She was VERY organized! She distributed the gear as we were sailing away from the shore and we were served cocktails/beer/soft drinks of our choice.

We were divided into 2 groups...experienced and less experienced. Tina took out the more experienced group, they left a good 10 minutes before us...we had De. One man in Tina's group was clearly struggling from the minute he got into the water. De saw this and immediately dove into the water...fully clothed to get him out. I was very impressed with her regard to safety for everyone and the way she reacted to what could have been pretty scary was right on target. It probably delayed our snorkel for a few extra minutes, but we were all concerned for his well being!

De pointed out every fish/turtle she saw as we snorkeled. The water was crystal clear and the fish were beautiful. De would swim down below the surface to point out fish to look at.

I would absolutely recommend Woodwind and hope you have as nice a day with them as we did!

• 4 weeks later...

We have just returned from our sailing on the CB and a fabulous day in Bonaire..... thanks to the Woodwind staff!

We were met at the end of the pier as directed by Dee and given further directions. We set sail on time and had a windy day! Not the typical day but what can you do? Enjoy it I was on vacation!!!:D

Dee and Tina were fantastic! They really know their stuff and want to make sure everyone was safe and having a good time! They enjoy what they do and love to talk while onboard!!

I would recommend them again in a heartbeat and look forward to a return trip just to travel the day with them again!

We will be in Bonaire in February and have booked Woodwind for our snorkel excursion. I've heard the snorkeling is so fabulous in Bonaire, that I didn't want to risk missing out on anything by trying to do it on my own.

Also, I love that the Woodwind includes lunch and an open bar... makes for a very fun day!

I found some comments about them in another thread, but I can't remember where it was. Everyone seemed to have good things to say.

If anyone has any experience with them, I would love to hear it!

Thanks so much!

I did the Woodwind Snorkel excursion the end of January 2009. You will not be disappointed. Dedire does an awesome job of pointing out the different sea life. It was like you were in an aquarium. That was the best snorkel trip we have ever done. It was better than the Caymans. Dedire is like a mermaid in the water. She is a beautiful person and shares her experience of the water with you. Drinks are included so don't be shy. Try the amstel bright beer. I wish I was joining you. If and when we return to Bonaire, I would definetly book with windward and Dedrie again. Enjoy your trip.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to bump this back up to the top to give a big shout out to Windward and their operation! We went with them off our cruise on the Emerald Princess (booked independently) a couple weeks ago and it was fantastic. Very reasonable price, professional operation, and the BEST snorkeling we have ever experienced after doing it on better than 15 islands in the Caribbean. Just a great time and wonderful memories. So good that we are looking into a week-long stay on the island and will certainly use them again. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Gene and Kathy from Cape Cod

We just returned from our Caribbean Princess cruise w/ a stop in Bonaire & we booked a snorkle trip on the Woodwind w/ info obtained on Cruise Critics. We loved it & highly recommend them. Dedrie was great & the trip excedded all expectations. We've snorkled in Maui & varoius ports in the Caribbean, but Bonaire is the best. Don't miss this.

• 3 weeks later...

mommy5 - we have done both and the snorkeling was far superior off Klein Bonaire than Barbados. Truly a magical experience. Overall, the operations are similar in that you are on a cat with about 15 other people, two stops, food and drink provided. You walk to the dock where Windward is tied up rather than ride as you do for Silver Moon. Short walk though. In both cases the crew was professional (if not overly friendly or enthusiastic) and all equipment was provided if needed. FWIW, while Silver Moon was lots of fun, we wouldn't do it again. Windward we will be doing again on a family cruise next January and I'm confident it will be the highlight of our shore excursions for that cruise - the price was better than Silver Moon too. Hope this helps.

Gene

• 3 weeks later...

We are just back from a wonderful Carib.Princess cruise and had an awesome time aboard Woodwind, great snorkelling, fun and informative crew and really good snorkle equipment, even prescription masks for those that wanted them!

I would definitely do it again and would hope for a full day next time!

Don't forget your sunscreen though, there is no shade on board.

Pat:)

• 1 month later...

We won't be cruising until Nov but I'm very interested in the Woodwind Sail & Snorkel. Do they have a website? or just the email address listed above? A friend that is going with us doesn't like to snorkel (can you believe it?) Would he be better off doing something else or would he enjoy the scenery?

Tona*

• 1 month later...

My question is why are there different rates for cruiseline passengers? According to their website, you can have a 4 hour guided snorkel tour for $45pp including open bar and lunch.

However, if you are a cruise passenger, you will have a 3 hour tour, drinks, and "some" snacks for $50pp.

What gives with that? We are in port long enough to do the 4 hour tour, but I don't think they give you that option once they know you're from a cruise ship.

Anybody been with them lately?

Thanks for the replies.

• 1 month later...

It is two different trips - two different prices.

No cruise ship passengers have been with Woodwind lately since the last cruise ship for the season left Bonaire four-five months ago.

Cruise ship season 09/10 on Bonaire starts October 6th, peak dec - feb.

• 3 months later...
My question is why are there different rates for cruiseline passengers? According to their website, you can have a 4 hour guided snorkel tour for $45pp including open bar and lunch.

However, if you are a cruise passenger, you will have a 3 hour tour, drinks, and "some" snacks for $50pp.

What gives with that? We are in port long enough to do the 4 hour tour, but I don't think they give you that option once they know you're from a cruise ship.

Anybody been with them lately?

Thanks for the replies.

Hi, I am travelling on Sea Princess (27th Feb - 14th March 2010) and will be visiting Bonaire on 9th March, The ship arrives at mid-day so I was looking for a tour that was near to the port. I understand from reading other posts that Bonaire doesn't have many beaches but that the snorkelling was out of this wortld. I was seaching for something to do and I came across this thread. The Woodwind tour sounds really good from what others have said and good value for money when you consider what the ship tours cost. I checked out the Woodwind website and the pictures sold it to me. I have made a booking for my wife and me, the price is $US50 each for the 3 hour trip. We are booked on the 2:00 - 5:00pm tour which fits in perfect with our shortish stay at Bonaire. The trip departs about 5 minute walk away from the port so it will be easy to return to the ship in good time for the 7:00pm departure. I always arrange my own tours because you can usually do the some tours the ship sells but at a much cheaper price. So far I have booked DIY tours on Dominica and Antigua.

Terry

One more huge shout-out for Woodwind!! We sailed with Dee and her crew last week and the experience was just as great as last time. Fabulous snorkeling, friendly and helpful crew and a well run & relaxing excursion. We saw a huge variety of fish and well over a dozen turtles. As before we were very impressed with how the crew of Woodwind makes it a wonderful time for both experienced and beginner snorkelers. Those rum punches on the way back went down easy too, as did the tasty local snacks! Thanks Dee and Ulf and the rest of the crew, you guys are the BEST!! We've taken over a dozen similar excursions in the Caribbean and the overall quality of the Woodwind experience tops them all! Highly, highly recommended!

Gene and Kathy from Cape Cod

I wanted to give another glowing recommendation for the Woodwind tour. It takes a little bit of time to get everyone setup with his/her correct snorkel, but once you are in the water - it is worth the wait! We saw so many fish and turtles. It is a great experience and the crew of the Woodwind made it even better.

If you're going to Bonaire, you should do this excursion!

I wanted to give another glowing recommendation for the Woodwind tour. It takes a little bit of time to get everyone setup with his/her correct snorkel, but once you are in the water - it is worth the wait! We saw so many fish and turtles. It is a great experience and the crew of the Woodwind made it even better.

If you're going to Bonaire, you should do this excursion!

I was told that if you don't see any turtles, Woodwind give you a full refund, based upon your experience they don't have much to worry about. Has anyone had a refund due to turtle no shows?

[About Woodwind]My question is why are there different rates for cruiseline passengers? According to their website, you can have a 4 hour guided snorkel tour for $45pp including open bar and lunch.

What gives with that? I don't think they give you that option once they know you're from a cruise ship.

A bit surprised no one has had an answer to this one. Anyone?

Guess which option we'd prefer. ;)

A bit surprised no one has had an answer to this one. Anyone?

Guess which option we'd prefer. ;)

Per the September 9, 2009 post above:

It is two different trips - two different prices...

Per their site www.woodwindbonaire.com, I suggest you contact them at info@woodwindbonaire.com to clarify further.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Per the September 9' date=' 2009 post above:

Per their site www.woodwindbonaire.com, I suggest you contact them at info@woodwindbonaire.com to clarify further.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

I asked the same question prior to making my booking with Woodwind, I was given the following response:-

"Hotel guests also pay $50 for the trips we do between November and March (our Cruise season)" So, the price for hotel and cruise guests is the same.

We went on the Woodwind January 9th 2010 and it was the best snorkel we have ever been on. Kline Bonaire is absolutely beautiful and the we saw beautiful fish, coral and turtles. They provided us with beer, wine, soft drinks etc and snacks. They had a underwater photographer on board that took pictures of the people, and all the underwater beauty. There were about 150 pictures on the disc well worth the $30 she charged. It was so nice to relive the experience after we got home. Dee and her crew were fantastic, and when book our next cruise that includes Bonaire, we'll be e-mailing Dee to make a reservation for the Woodwind. We highly recommend them!!!:) Elaine & Frank Barcelona

Archived