Woodwind snorkel excursion... has anyone used them??

SuperLarz

We went on the Woodwind January 9th 2010 and it was the best snorkel we have ever been on. Kline Bonaire is absolutely beautiful and the we saw beautiful fish, coral and turtles. They provided us with beer, wine, soft drinks etc and snacks. They had a underwater photographer on board that took pictures of the people, and all the underwater beauty. There were about 150 pictures on the disc well worth the $30 she charged. It was so nice to relive the experience after we got home. Dee and her crew were fantastic, and when book our next cruise that includes Bonaire, we'll be e-mailing Dee to make a reservation for the Woodwind. We highly recommend them!!!:) Elaine & Frank Barcelona

I also just returned from the Grand Princess and our sail with Woodwind was the highlight of our cruise. Dee and Ulf are hardworking, honest people that provide a quality excursion to beautiful Kline Bonaire to view the fabulous underwater world. You will not be disappointed booking with Woodwind.

Debr

• 1 month later...

If you have any Bonaire photos... please post them.

I didn't get to do the WoodWind trip, and I know they sometimes take a photographer, so I'd love to see some of those photos. Also I missed-out on touring Bonaire because we dove all day... so anyone who got good island photos, I'd love to see them:)

I found this on a different thread. They are beautiful photos of the WoodWind sailing trip. Great photos! The first I've seen! Thanks to our fellow CruiseCritic member- prescottbob for the great trip report. http://picasaweb.google.com/prescottbob412/112808KRALENDIJKBONAIREDUTCHANTILLES08001800#

I made a photo book of my morning snorkel with the ships tour to Klein Marine Park, and then our afternoon snorkeling with Renee. See Bonaire chapter pages 86-107

http://www.panraven.com/visitor/VisitorViewStory.epage?sp=Sview&sp=154975

ONE TIP- if you click on the arrows below the photos, you can see 2 pages at a time, which give a better panoramic view. If you click directly on the photo instead of using the arrows...you can only see one BIG page at a time.

I had booked a tour with Woodwind on 9th March, but a last minute itinerary change meant our cruise ship changed the date for our visit to Bonaire to 10th March. The time the ship docked/departed also changed to morning/afternoon from afternoon/evening. The upshot was, we couldn't make the tour which was timed for 2pm.:(

I met up Ulf from Woodwind tours, who broke the bad news that our ship would depart before the Woodwind returned to dock. My wife and I were really disappointed by this news, then something extraordinary happened, Ulf started running around to help us arrange a trip with a competitor. I was amazed that someone I had never met before would go to so much trouble to help. The upshot was that Ulf managed to get us on a drive ship at the last moment. My wife and I had a great time on Bonaire and really enjoyed the snorkelling trip arranged by Ulf.

What could have ended up as a complete disaster ended up as a great day, all thanks to Ulf.:D

We plan to revisit Bonaire next year, no prizes for guessing who we will be looking up.

Mark:

Your photos are lovely and convinced me to purchase this camera (I saw your recommendation on another thread). I'm looking at doing a snorkel with Renee --- we have an 8 year old with us and she appears to have a way with people of all ages and abilities. Thanks so much for leading us to her. We are going the last week of April. I will post when we return.

Val

Mark:

Your photos are lovely and convinced me to purchase this camera (I saw your recommendation on another thread). I'm looking at doing a snorkel with Renee --- we have an 8 year old with us and she appears to have a way with people of all ages and abilities. Thanks so much for leading us to her. We are going the last week of April. I will post when we return.

Val

Glad you liked my photos. Enjoy your new camera. It was really fun for a non-professional.

Make sure you try your camera in a pool if you can before the trip. It just helps if you've never shot underwater before (or tried to swim with a camera strapped to your wrist). It also convinced me to get the neck strap... (or try tucking the camera in your sleeve if you wear a dive skin)

Looking forward to seeing more Bonaire photos when you get back :D We saw a sea horse but I didn't get a good photo. I also wanted to get a octopus pic, but didn't see one. I was happy with the great squid photo that I got!

Book with Renee early (she only takes 6). When I sent her an email to reserve her morning time-slot she had just been booked-up the day before, by some folks on my ship. So I booked her afternoon snorkel time-slot, and then looked at the Woodwind (which sailed 30 minutes before we got to Bonaire) or our ships tour to fill my morning availability.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Bonaire on April 1. I can't tell you enough about how great the staff on the Woodwind was. Oh Yea, the snorkeling on Klein Bonaire is World Class too! Dee and the staff divided the group up into two groups (one experienced and one beginners). We knew people in both groups and Everyone had a great time. This makes my list of best excursions ever.

We are scheduled to be docked in Bonaire 7am to 2pm. Will that be enough time to do their tour? Does it still include the drinks and food?

I would guess they will adjust the tour to what ever time your ship is in port, but make sure you contact them and ask the question. On our day in port they had 2 different departure times.

The tour did include drinks. There is really only time for one drink on the way to the snorkel stop. We divided up into two groups while snorkeling. The people in the first group out also were the first group back aboard the Woodwind and had time for an additional drink on the way back.

The food was simple but good baked appetizers. I think they had enough for everyone to sample each of three different appetizers.

Sailed with Woodwind last week on our visit with the CB. Dee, Robert, and Susan our guides were so passionate about their reef, the fish, and the Turtles! We saw at least a dozen turtles on our almost hour drift snorkel, the best snorkeling I have experienced in the Carib, the Keys, or GB Reef. Highly recommend them.....the beer is cold and according to my wife the Rum Punch is quite strong!

• 2 weeks later...
We are scheduled to be docked in Bonaire 7am to 2pm. Will that be enough time to do their tour? Does it still include the drinks and food?

We did this tour in April 2010; it still included food. Appetizers and such. It was my favorite snorkel excursion ever. Beautiful, and we saw lots of turtles. Beer and juices are included (try the mango juice!). I don't know if they had rum punch. The staff was friendly and safety-conscious. I would recommend this tour to anyone. Amazing!

We snorkeled with Renee in the AM. info@reneesnorkeltrips.com She is a very nice lady. $35.00 US pp. She took us to 2 spots. One for fish & one for coral reef. The first stop for the fish, was about a 5 min. walk from the ship. You could easily do it on your own. When facing the ship, walk to your right. There's a place where small boats are anchored, and a very small wooden pier. There will be a tall chain link fence on your right for new construction. We went in the water there & she pointed out interesting fish. It wasn't the best snorkeling, and the coral was dead. Then she drove us to a beach that is driectly across from the airport. She said the beach had no name. We went in off that very small beach, and snorkeled over a reef. It was OK. Not spectacular, but we did see more interesting underwater sponges, fish & coral. If you want an easy off the shore snorkel and appreciate fish, etc being pointed out to you, then you will enjoy her tour.

If you don't enter the water here and continue on the same path for another 5 min. go in by a white condo. This spot is called "something Special" and it is much better. Snorkel to your right.

We did Woodwind in the afternoon. $50.00 US pp. info@woodwindbonaire.com They have a large catamaran. It was quite crowded. There is no shade. I would suggest you book early, as they fill up quickly. This is the best snorkeling we have ever seen. A must do, if you are an experienced snorkeler or an adventurer. They serve drinks on the way to the spot, and food & beverages on the return. They take you to the south side of Klein island. If you took the ferry to Klein, and walked to the south side of the island, it would be a very long hot walk, with a difficult entry to the water due to the coral. It is much easier & safer to take the boat. They divide you into 2 groups. You can walk down the ladder, or jump in from a platform on the back of the catamaran. They determind the current & direction. Then you drift snorkel for about an hour. The boat follows you , so you can get out of the water if you want. They point out interesting coral, fish, etc. along the way. You stay with your group. Ladies, here's a tip. This is not the place to wear your ittsy bitzy teeny weeny poka dot bikini. :eek: People are pretty much right on your a**. Wear some lycra type shorts, that will fit snuggly around your leg while swimming, or will flash the people behind you. The water is chilly. It was about 78 degrees. If you get cold easily, wear a wetsuit. I wore a long sleeve rash shirt, and long rash swim pants. They were perfect. When you jump in, it is like stepping into an underwater movie. Everything is spectacular! They have a video photographer on each snorkel trip. You can buy a video of your snorkel and/or a video of her best pics. We bought both. We wanted to remember this snorkel! We've snorkeled in many places. This was by far our favorite. We will compare every snorkel from now on to this one. I cannot say enough about how great it was. :D

Thanks for the review! I have heard a lot of good things about Woodwind so I think I will be contacting them soon for my December cruise!

Did you see any sea turtles during the snorkel?

We toured with Woodwind last week while in Bonaire. I cannot say enough good things about the company and our experience snorkeling with them. They were knowledgeable, professional, fun and friendly. They easily balanced our safety with educating us on the sea life we encountered. We saw beautiful fish, coral and of course many turtles. The guides were extremely attentive and the groups were split according to experience level.

Do not hesitate to book with Woodwind while in Bonaire. You will enjoy one of the best snorkeling experiences of your life in one of the most beautiful places in the world. :D

• 2 months later...

With splitting into two groups (experienced & non), does one group get to see more or different species than the other or does everyone get to sample the same marine life? I'm guessing maybe they like to reduce the crowded feeling in the water and keep the boat closer to the less experienced group?

With splitting into two groups (experienced & non), does one group get to see more or different species than the other or does everyone get to sample the same marine life? I'm guessing maybe they like to reduce the crowded feeling in the water and keep the boat closer to the less experienced group?

No, both groups pretty much see the same things. In fact, the second group caught up to the first, "experienced" group when we went. It made things pretty crowded at the end.

No, both groups pretty much see the same things. In fact, the second group caught up to the first, "experienced" group when we went. It made things pretty crowded at the end.

Thanks!, kind of figured it was a crowd control thing. Now, where's my genie bottle to get me that low cost, uncrowded, spectacular live reef, exotic fish, fun crew, flat glass water & perfect weather excursion? :D We'll be with them in Feb. rain or shine cause really, it's all good!

• 2 weeks later...
I had booked a tour with Woodwind on 9th March, but a last minute itinerary change meant our cruise ship changed the date for our visit to Bonaire to 10th March. The time the ship docked/departed also changed to morning/afternoon from afternoon/evening. The upshot was, we couldn't make the tour which was timed for 2pm.:(

I met up Ulf from Woodwind tours, who broke the bad news that our ship would depart before the Woodwind returned to dock. My wife and I were really disappointed by this news, then something extraordinary happened, Ulf started running around to help us arrange a trip with a competitor. I was amazed that someone I had never met before would go to so much trouble to help. The upshot was that Ulf managed to get us on a drive ship at the last moment. My wife and I had a great time on Bonaire and really enjoyed the snorkelling trip arranged by Ulf.

What could have ended up as a complete disaster ended up as a great day, all thanks to Ulf.:D

We plan to revisit Bonaire next year, no prizes for guessing who we will be looking up.

Going back to Bonaire sooner than I thought, just made a booking with Woodwind......can't wait.

I am considering booking with Woodwind, and was wondering how close to the surface the coral is in the areas Woodwind takes you? I was on a snorkeling trip in Bora Bora where the coral was so close to the surface of the water (2to 3 feet maybe?)that I kept drifting in to it--which neither I nor the coral appreciated, and I went back in to the boat. I've only snorkeled a few times, but it sounds as though Bonaire is one place I wouldn't want to miss seeing underwater. Thanks!

I am considering booking with Woodwind, and was wondering how close to the surface the coral is in the areas Woodwind takes you? I was on a snorkeling trip in Bora Bora where the coral was so close to the surface of the water (2to 3 feet maybe?)that I kept drifting in to it--which neither I nor the coral appreciated, and I went back in to the boat. I've only snorkeled a few times, but it sounds as though Bonaire is one place I wouldn't want to miss seeing underwater. Thanks!

Maybe I can help :D I did not book the Woodwind, because I looked at their photos and it looked like they kept everyone in 7-15 feet of water, which is just what you are looking for.

I wanted to dive from shore, so I would be right in the coral in 3-7 feet deep water. I like searching for little critters and need to get closes to find them.

So I think your plan sounds like what you are looking for.

Archived