Woodwind snorkel excursion... has anyone used them??

SuperLarz

Thanks, Markstudy. Being closer to the coral would be fun if the channels between the corla weren't as narrow, and the current less determined to push me around, as they were in Bora Bora (which may have been the most beautiful place I have ever been).

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to chime in and tell all of you about my experience with Woodwind. I went to Bonaire November of '09 on CB. We booked with Woodwind ahead of time. This review is long overdue!

I cannot say enough about what an awesome experience this excursion was! I have been on many cruises and land vacations and have snorkeled in a LOT of places. This was, bar none, the absolute best snorkeling that I have ever done!

I saw at least 10 turtles (3 different species), beautiful coral, puffer fish, and too many things to list. When I first got into the water and saw the spectacular scene, it literally brought tears to my eyes!

We were in the water for about 1 1/2 hours and it flew by. I would do this excursion again in a heartbeat! It really was one of the most memorable excursions that I have ever taken. The staff of the Woodwind are truly passionate about what they do. The really want to give their guests a great trip. Do not hesitate to book with this fabulous company!

• 3 months later...

Woodwind was awesome! Just back from snorkeling with them on January 1st. 2011. What a way to ring in the new year. They are professional and fun. We saw turtles, sting rays, and the most beautiful underwater world I have ever seen. Book this tour, you will not be disappointed!

• 3 weeks later...

I'll add my two thumbs up for Woodwind. We just came back from the Emerald Princess and went with Woodwind during our stop in Bonaire. The trip was exceptional, and rather than just repeating what everyone else said, I would like to add that Dee had a professional underwater photographer/videographer on board. She took tons of pictures of us on the Woodwind and in the water. She took pictures of us snorkeling, the sea life, coral, etc. You never even knew she was there, but she was capturing the entire trip. She then offered the pictures individually or the entire CD for sale. We purchased the CD which had over 120 pictures on it (she burned it right on the ship) for $25. Best $25 I ever spent. She had a laptop on the Woodwind so you could view the pictures before purchase. The camera she carried probably cost more than my cruise! She was very professional and her photos are just beautiful. Way better than spending $15 on a disposable underwater camera and then finding that you just took pictures of nothing! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed with them Feb.6th and it was the best snorkeling trip on a 25 day Caribbean cruise! We had about 18 people aboard, they split us into three groups, so you weren't always running into other people. The boat sailed within a reasonable distance of us, and we did both deep water snorkeling, and shallow water snorkeling. It's drift snorkeling, so even a less experienced swimmer would be fine, with a vest. The divers give the best safely lecture before the dive that I've ever gotten, and they asked often if we were doing ok. We also got a reminder biology lesson on why you shouldn't touch or interfere with the wildlife and reef itself.

If I were staying on Bonaire, I would snorkel with them SEVERAL times. They were very professional and fun, and I think, a bargain for the care, food and drink we got for the bargain price of $50!

One tip, if you have any insulated swim gear, I'd wear it. Lots of folks didn't have any and were fine, but I'm kind of a baby about the cold and I was glad I had an insulated vest at least. I got lots of nice underwater pictures of turtles, etc. but I still bought the CD, her pictures were amazing, and there was a great one of me:D!

Woodwind has a facebook page, and if you "like" them, they'll send you pictures everyday! Awesome!

I have sailed with them for 3 times, each time was a great day, Dee is just wonderful, captain and crew are great as well. you can not get ant better for your money. i can hardly wait to go back. Dee is a reL mermaid, you will not regret if you choose them.:o

I was lucky enough to join a Woodwind snorkeling excursion last week in Bonaire. I've done a number of snorkeling excursions in the past, and can easily say that Woodwind does a MARVELOUS job. They're truly a first class organization . . . you won't be disappointed!

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Bonaire in February and have booked Woodwind for our snorkel excursion. I've heard the snorkeling is so fabulous in Bonaire, that I didn't want to risk missing out on anything by trying to do it on my own.

Also, I love that the Woodwind includes lunch and an open bar... makes for a very fun day!

I found some comments about them in another thread, but I can't remember where it was. Everyone seemed to have good things to say.

If anyone has any experience with them, I would love to hear it!

Thanks so much!

We've used them and it was by far the best snorkeling excursion we've ever taken! Not only is the actual snorkeling the best, Woodwind is a fantastic tour group. It will be the best snorkeling money you've ever spent!

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Just went on a snorkeling excursion on the Woodwind last week. It was fantastic! Dee did a great job of making sure everyone had the correct equipment and knew how to use it (my husband got a special mask due to his "wide" face - didn't even know he had a wide face and that's never been offered on other snorkeling excursions). Dee had 2 others helping lead snorkelers (Dee led the most inexperienced group - including some non-swimmers!). We had 25 total people. We made two stops around Klein Bonaire to snorkel. Only problem was the unexpected tiny biting jellyfish! Dee offered wetsuits/skins to anyone who wanted them for the 2nd stop just in case they were still around. I was glad to have taken one - the jellyfish were still there. We were gone from 1-5 pm, but had plenty of beverages and snacks - more than I expected. There was an underwater photographer along and she took great photos, which we could buy ($25) on a DVD before leaving the catamaran. This was one of our best excursions on the entire cruise - highly recommend the Woodwind :)

Just went on a snorkeling excursion on the Woodwind last week. It was fantastic! Dee did a great job of making sure everyone had the correct equipment and knew how to use it (my husband got a special mask due to his "wide" face - didn't even know he had a wide face and that's never been offered on other snorkeling excursions). Dee had 2 others helping lead snorkelers (Dee led the most inexperienced group - including some non-swimmers!). We had 25 total people. We made two stops around Klein Bonaire to snorkel. Only problem was the unexpected tiny biting jellyfish! Dee offered wetsuits/skins to anyone who wanted them for the 2nd stop just in case they were still around. I was glad to have taken one - the jellyfish were still there. We were gone from 1-5 pm, but had plenty of beverages and snacks - more than I expected. There was an underwater photographer along and she took great photos, which we could buy ($25) on a DVD before leaving the catamaran. This was one of our best excursions on the entire cruise - highly recommend the Woodwind :)

I'm booked with them in a few weeks. I hate the thought of swimming with jellyfish (I'm a but phobic actually). Did they have plenty of wetsuits to go around? I think I'd want one if the jellyfish were around.

We recently did two back to back snorkeling cruises with Woodwind since we heard they were so good and we love to snorkel. That was such a good decision on our part. They even hooked us up with some sandwiches for a quick lunch between excursions. (Ulf makes homemade bread that is quite yummy). The photographs that Zsuzsanna took were amazing and well worth the $25 for the CD. As much as we love to cruise, we'd consider taking a land vacation to Bonaire since we were so impressed with the snorkeling and the day we spent with Woodwind. I'd highly recommend using Woodwind and wouldn't think twice about booking with them again.

I'm booked with them in a few weeks. I hate the thought of swimming with jellyfish (I'm a but phobic actually). Did they have plenty of wetsuits to go around? I think I'd want one if the jellyfish were around.
Just as an observation, the stings I immediatly noticed within a few minutes of getting in the water were on my face (just above my upper lip) and on the back of my hand. I wore a T-shirt so I avoided any stings on my upper arms and body. I got a couple on one leg that itched afterward (didn't notice getting those). Take an "Afterbite" pen on your cruise - it has an ammonia solution that netralizes the itching (and is more socially acceptable than the folk remedy which is to pee on the bite).

TBN Hubby here...

We were with Woodwind about three weeks back and enjoyed it very much. They told me that the stings were from a type of plankton that was so small that it was very hard to see. Reminded me of the small 'sweat bee' stings I get in the summer at home. Said they were sometimes called 'shark fleas'.

Noticeable but not a big deal. Didn't even leave a red mark on me but one of the lady's on the boat had some small red marks about like a redened mosquito bite where she was stung.

The coral, fish, turtles and clear water definitely were worth this small inconvenience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

If you are looking for a snorkel tour in Bonaire ~~~~Dont look anywhere else than Woodwind~~~~ They are the best if they cant make your trip enjoyable you are a very hard person to please ~~~~~~

I dont write many reviews unless they are super bad or super good and these people are off of the charts to the great side.

You will not be disappinted

Marlin (Rico) and Mary (Maria)

Ps If you dont find this tour to be perfect here is my email !!!

Let me know (mdlaverman@yahoo.com)

I just got back from my cruise and can say that this excursion was probably the most fun, informative, and professional tour I've done yet. The enthusiam and knowledge of the guides is spectacular. Each guide has a group of about 6-8 snorkellers. As we drift along the reef the guides will swim down to different fish, corals, and turtles to point them out along the way. Then they swim back to the surface and give a little background information about the species. Their skills are amazing (how do they hold their breath so long?)! A photographer swims along and takes pictures along the way and you have the opportunity to purchase a cd afterwards that shows the same sights that you see. I saw more fish and turtles and coral on this snorkelling trip than any other I've gone on before.

I highly recommend this excursion for anyone who is interested. They also provided a lot of good advice along the way about how to get the best fit of snorkelling equipment and the best way to drift snorkel. Even though I've snorkelled many times, I still learned a lot. There were all skill levels aboard and they were very helpful.

Archived