Formal Nights

clover_cruiser

Can anyone tell me if NCL still has formal nights on their cruises? I was on the SS Norway back in 1994 before Freestyle cruising kicked in and the dress code was a little more sophisticated. In 2006 I was on the Pearl and I don't remember hearing about a formal night - there was mix of some fancy dress and others that looked like they were eating at a fast-food stop. Maybe I missed something?

There is still at least one Captain's night (depending on the length of the cruise) where a lot of folks do dress up, meet the Captain, get pictures taken - but it's totally optional. In fact, you don't have to be "formal" to meet the Captain and get a picture. "Resort casual" is the mantra.

This last trip I didn't even have a jacket or a tie - though I think I'd bring them next time. Kinda nice to dress up at least one night, IMO.

Can anyone tell me if NCL still has formal nights on their cruises? I was on the SS Norway back in 1994 before Freestyle cruising kicked in and the dress code was a little more sophisticated. In 2006 I was on the Pearl and I don't remember hearing about a formal night - there was mix of some fancy dress and others that looked like they were eating at a fast-food stop. Maybe I missed something?

It's not formal night on NCL, it's Dress Up Or Not night. And I believe there are two of them on a 7 night cruise. Just like everything else that is Freestyle, it's your decision whether you dress up or not. And to what extent. On those nights, you will see people in tux's, gowns, suits, ties, etc on down to dockers and a collared shirt. There is a dress code for dinner every night, not just the dress up ones, so shorts, tee's, tanks, etc are never allowed in the main dining rooms. If you choose to dress that way, you are welcome at the buffet or the Blue Lagoon.

CG

Do they offer a captain's cocktail party with free drinks on this night? (obviously my only reference is Carnival).

There is no ship wide captain's cocktail party with free drinks but if you are a returning NCL guest there is a Latitudes cocktail party one afternoon. (I do remember making good use of this amenity on Carnival!!)

Thanks folks, good to know. We'll be cruising as Lattitudes members this time round so it looks like we'll get to go to the captain's cocktail party...yay! I really enjoy the Freestyle option but it's nice to have one night to fancy up a bit and look a bit different from the usual day-to-day.

Archived