Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kadiebug12

We're having a wedding reception in Sabatini's, is it nice?

We've been on many Princess ships, but we're getting married on our next trip in January. We'll be on the Caribbean Princess and will be having our wedding reception in Sabatini's. We've never eaten there. Is it nice and worth the 20.00? Anyone been there on the Caribbean Princess?

OMG;) You will be in heaven. Congradulations and have a wonderful life.

Just finished our first cruise. It was memories of a life time. What a great way to start your future with.

PS Hope your dress is not too tight. After eating there you won't be able to move. Get the dessert out of the way first. Know what I mean?

I'm so glad to hear it's nice. Thanks so much for the best wishes and you better believe, I told my taylor to leave me at least 3 lbs. in my dress because I refuse to starve myself for 5 days while I'm on a cruise!!!

Katie - Beth had her reception in Sabatini's! She would be a good one to ask! They invited me to come along (since I did photos for them) but I didn't want to intrude on that part.

You won't come anywhere close to getting the same value out of $20 on land as you will in Sabatini's. What a great idea. Congratulations! :)

You will enjoy Sabatini's immensely. Dinner is a long, leisurely process and not rushed at all. The food and service are excellent. Your guests will have a wonderful time. The only difficulty will be everyone making it back to their cabins after all that food!

Les

We're actually doing lunch so we can have Skywalkers afterward to ourselves for dancing and open bar. Is lunch as good and as long as dinner? I think it's the same menu, but can't get a finite answer from princess.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone!

How many guests will be attending? I think Sabatini's will be a very romantic setting for a wedding reception.

We got married onboard a Carnival ship two years ago, and we had 52 family/friends who sailed with us. It was the absolute best way to get married. Everyone had a blast and it was very stress-free.

Took me 3 hours to eat my way out of there... Kronin is the manager there and does a great job with private parties as they opened just for our group of 30. Warning.........DO NOT EAT A THING BEFORE YOU GO.

Kadie, Sabatini's will accommodate a group your size with no problem. It will be a lovely setting and I'm sure you won't be disappointed in the meal, whether it's lunch or dinner. Since it will be an Italian meal, perhaps Princess will allow you to carry on some bottles of wine for your guests to share during their meal. It would be less expensive than ordering from their wine menu, and I believe Princess allows it for "special occasions." And this is the most special occasion! They may charge you a corkage fee, but it would probably still be well worth it.

JerseyGirl,

Great minds think alike. My family is Italian and lives in CA (near wine country) so we're bringing on 13 bottles of CA red wine for our rehearsal dinner (10.00 corkage fee per bottle, ouch) which will be great. We're actually doing an open bar during our meal in Sabatini's as we originally booked for Brunch which our coordinator told us included momosas and bloody mary's in the 20.00 cover, but when the ship debuted they didn't offer brunch so Princess tried to make it right by giving us the full time in Sabatini's open bar for 1/2 the price a single hour would have cost us, so we went for it. Now we're getting about 2 hours of full open bar for our guests while we dine for what 1/2 hour would cost so we decided to go for that because it would be less than a corkage fee for how many bottles we would need for our guests (my family likes the wine). :) I'm sooo glad to hear that Sabatini's is so nice, we just really wanted to treat our guests to something other than the main dining room they'll be going to every other night, you know?

Kady, I am also Italian; that must explain why we both had so many people coming on our wedding cruise! Most people who get married on cruises are lucky if they have 10 or 15 guests!

I think the open bar idea is a good one. Actually, that's what we did with our reception. It was a 2 hour open bar and hot and cold appetizers. Then we did little extras for our guests. Since we all arrived in Miami the day before, and almost all of us were on the same flight, I had a 45 passenger bus meet us at the airport (we flew into Ft. Lauderdale, but cruised out of Miami) to transport all our guests. We all stayed at the Best Western Marina Park Hotel (now the Holiday Inn) across from Bayside Market, so we arranged to have a dinner party for all our guests there the night before our wedding at Bubba Gumps. It was terrific! We had a full course meal; everyone got a menu that said "Bob and Jo-Ann's Rehearsal Dinner" on it, and each of our guests had an assortment of entrees to choose from. We ran a bar tab (which I worried would go through the roof), but the management actually said this would run less than paying for a two hour open bar. They were right! And we surely didn't skimp on the alcohol! The next morning I had vans ready after breakfast to transport everyone from the hotel to the ship (we were getting married before the ship left port, because my sister had 2-year-old twins and she was afraid to bring them on a cruise, so they were the only guests who didn't sail with us).

As the wedding approached, every month or so I'd mail out little "updates" to our guests with lots of info (time of rehearsal dinner, a list of our guests and their cabin numbers, etc.). For the last one, I included a little book called "The Essential Little Cruise Book." I gave one to each family; I got them at amazon.com for about $8/book.

Although all our guests didn't really need invitation, I ordered keepsake invitations from a website called http://www.bottlemeamessage. We made up our own saying for the invitations, and it was printed on parchment paper, placed into glass bottles containing sand and authentic little seashells, and corked. Each bottle was individually boxed. They sent the big box containing all the smaller boxes to my home, and I then sent them out to everyone. Everyone loved them. In retrospect, I probably could have made them myself, but it wasn't very expensive because I only sent one per family, not per guest. And for wedding favors, I had ordered silver dolphin-shaped bottle openers with our names and wedding date inscribed. My sister had placed each one in a little gift bag with silver tulle tissue paper. They looked really nice and everyone loved them.

If there is anything I can help you with, please do not hesitate to ask. We had such a wonderful wedding and our guests still talk about it two years later. Funny thing is, none of them seem to remember what awful weather we had on the cruise! They all had such a good time!

JerseyGirl,

I'm so glad to hear that everyone enjoyed your wedding so much. When we first started planning, we sat down and made a list of what was important to us in having a wedding, and our main purpose was to celebrate with our family and friends and I think I week long cruise accomplishes that!

Great minds totally think alike in that we did Message in a Bottle invitations too! Because the cruise wedding is less than a land wedding, cost wise, we're getting to splurge on fun stuff like welcome bags with everything in them from sunscreen and cameras to custom Tshirts that say "I went to Mike and Kadie's wedding cruise and all I got was this lousy T-shirt" with the name of the boat and dates of the cruise. I hope people like them.

We're doing the lunch at Sabatini's with open bar, then open bar and dancing for three hours in one of the lounges in the upper most back of the ship (think 360 views of the ocean since we'll be at sea that day) so I really hope people have a good time. How could you not on a cruise, right?

Would you mind sharing a couple of your pictures? If not, my e mail is cepausm@bellsouth.net. I have seen a few pics of some cruise weddings, but haven't seen any candid shots taken by the cruise photographer so if you have any candids I'd love to see those. If not, don't worry about it. I do appreciate all the good info. :)

Kady, I'd be happy to share some wedding photos with you. However, it'll have to wait until my son is next home from college. I am very computer illiterate on how to send them via email. He's shown me a million times, but I can't remember how to do it.

Since this was a second marriage for each of us, I didn't want a traditional wedding gown (did all that the first time around). We ordered the clothes for the entire bridal party from Paradise on a Hanger. I wore an off white long sleeveless dress with a hibiscus print down the front off to the side a bit. My husband wore the matching shirt. My bridesmades (my mom, my sister, and my two SIL's) wore the same dress as mine, only in a different color. Our groomsmen (our four sons) and my father (who walked me down the aisle) wore the same shirt as my husband, only in the color that matched the bridesmaids. It was very tropical looking, yet elegant.

I know what you mean about having the extra $$$ to spend on little extras. That's what made planning this wedding so much fun. I know your guests will have a wonderful time. I remember the night before the wedding, while we were all still in Miami and had finished dinner at Bayside Market,all our guests was milling around the marina, some of the younger girls were getting henna tattoos, the guys were playing ping pong at the outdoor ping pong table, a few couples were walking around holding hands, and a reggae band was playing in the outdoor arena. My husband and I were standing there looking around at everything, and it was a beautiful moonlit night, and I turned to my husband and said, "remember this night forever, because it's such a special one. We have everybody we love the most with us to help us start our life togther and everyone is so happy and relaxed. What more could we possibly ask for." I get teary-eyed just thinking about it!

I wish you the best with your upcoming wedding. It sounds lovely, and you will be so happy you decided to get married this way. Believe me, the first time around I had a huge wedding with 250 guests and it was so stressful I couldn't even enjoy it. This wedding was different. I never wanted it to end!

This all sounds really good fun. Keep this going and let us all enjoy the bulid up to the big day.

ABSOLUTELY!

My niece is getting married in June, and my step-daughter's taking her vows in July.

It absolutely KILLS me that they've already booked "traditional" venues for their big day.

(My "rebel-niece" is in Jamaica as I type...got married whilst walking barefeet on the beach to some Bob Marley tunes!) That's my girl! :D

I'm soo thankful already that we're doing our wedding on the ship. We live in Miami, so everyone would have had to come here anyway and when you add up hotel, rental car and food costs, the cruise is comperable and the obvious option for us! We just didn't want to entertain everyone and be stressed out, we wanted to be able to enjoy our wedding and not only does this option allow us to do that, we get to spend an entire week with everyone we love so dearly. (We are taking a seperate honeymoon, a 7 day cruise on the other side of the caribbean)

Everything seems to be falling into place and we are happy with our Princess wedding coordinator. Not sure how I'm getting everything on board (favors, programs, votives for the tables, all the wine for the rehearsal), but we reserved a limo to take us to the port, hopefully it's a stretch!

We'll be married at sea by the Captain on deck (by the Lotus spa pool which will be closed to the public for the ceremony) as long as the weather holds out. What more could we ask for? :)

I hope everything continues to go smoothly for you and that you have a day that dreams are made of!

I am also planning on getting married aboard the Caribbean Princess Sept. 05'. I have just started the whole process and I was wondering if there was any advise you could offer on just how we get started. I have a travel agent and am aware that they will take care of the room bookings and that the wedding and reception is actually booked through a separate department, however, from there I am lost. I have seen the different wedding packages and reception packages that Princess offers, however, is it really as simple as requesting a specific package for each and we're done? I feel as if I may be missing something. Maybe it is due to me attending many traditional "home town" weddings that I think there should be more to it.

Thank you in advance for any information or guidance you may be able to give me. This is my first time on this side of the table (no more bride's maid!:) ).

Shelly