Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elnino122

St Thomas - Beaches?

We planning on going in March 2010. Whats the best way to get

to Sapphire beach?

We are renting a car because there are 6 of us and it will be more cost effective than taxis and tram fare.

Will we be able to find parking at Sapphire or Emerald Beach? Is there a charge?

We are renting a car because there are 6 of us and it will be more cost effective than taxis and tram fare.

Will we be able to find parking at Sapphire or Emerald Beach? Is there a charge?

Don't know anything about Sapphire but the parking in front of the hotel at Emerald didn't appear to be charging a fee. I was on foot & didn't take notice.

This is the parking lot. http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/28519/2411357490103243266S600x600Q85.jpg

The taxi shuttles don't wait here for pickups either- they're up the road about 200 yards in a vacant lot & they call them in one at a time by radio so they don't jam the place up. http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/41637/2000501400103243266S600x600Q85.jpg

Does Emarld beach have good snorkling or should we go to Corki?? So many think Corki is really dirty. We just want to snorkle and now we aren't sure what to do????

Really appreciate any help!!

Does Emarld beach have good snorkling or should we go to Corki?? So many think Corki is really dirty. We just want to snorkle and now we aren't sure what to do????

Really appreciate any help!!

OF course this is only my opinion but I didn't swim or snorkel at Emerald in Jan. I have snorkeled at Coki years ago & thought it was very good especially when the cruise tours get there & lots of people are attracting the fish. In Jan we went there to swim & I thought area around the beach was filthy and would not return if it was to swim only but for snorkeling it's one of the better choices.

If you want a beautiful beach- it's Emerald, if you want fish then Coki but don't be shocked at the trash or lousy bathrooms.

The past 2 years we have been to St. Thomas we have gone to Emerald Beach. Very beautiful. Not that crowded, restaurant and bar on the beach, clean and not as far as Megans Bay. Megans Bay was ok - prefer Emerald. This year we are going to check out Trunk Bay, if we get off the ship early enough.

Another advantage of docking at Crown Bay is if you want to go to Trunk Bay, the ferry is located right there along side the Princess ship. No shuttle needed. ;)

I thought you had to go to Havensight or Charlotte Amalie to get the ferry. Is the ferry at Crown Bay for the booked excursions to St. John?:confused:

I thought you had to go to Havensight or Charlotte Amalie to get the ferry. Is the ferry at Crown Bay for the booked excursions to St. John?:confused:

When we were going back to the ship I saw this ferry http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/20833/2070220050103243266S600x600Q85.jpg

& asked someone about it. They told me it was for St John but now that I check the ferry schedule there doesn't appear to be one leaves to St John from Crown Bay. Sorry about the confusion. I was mistaken. It sure would be nice if one was right at the dock. :o

I am hoping someone in here can help....

We will be in St. Thomas in a couple weeks, we are in port from 10-8. I really want to go to Sapphire Beach to spend some time on the sand and snorkeling, from what I gathered in this board is that it costs about $10 pp to get there by taxi...

My friend saw pictures of Magens Bay and fell in love. She is not into snorkeling, so I was wondering if we had time to visit both? Would there be taxi's willing to take us from Sapphire to Magens Bay? About how much would that cost? Or should we go in opposite order? And is there ever any problem with finding taxi's at either beaches to take you back to port at the end of the day?

Also, I have heard about a lift to take you to a high point for great views, is this near the cruise port, and is it free?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Quote:

Also, I have heard about a lift to take you to a high point for great views, is this near the cruise port, and is it free?

http://www.stthomasskyride.com/ here is the link to the skyride you are talking about. No it is not free. The rates and info are on the website.

You should have time to visit both beaches. There are usually a few taxis outside the lobby area at Sapphire and if there happens not to be any taxis waiting around you can ask someone at the front desk to call one for you. At Magens there is a taxi stand and usually quite a few taxis waiting around, so again no problem there. Taxi between Sapphire and Magens will be around $9 pp, ow.

--Islander

DH and I are considering going to St John's, Emerald, or Morningstar Beach. We aren't interested in snorkeling. Just would like a beautiful beach with great ammenities ie clean bathrooms, restaurant/bar. Palapas would be great too. Any suggestions from those who have experienced these places would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!

Barb

Barb - Emerald and Morningstar are both pretty beaches. Emerald is largely sandy shore and sandy bay. Morningstar is sandy shore and sand with small pebbles in some areas of the bay itself. Emerald is usually very calm and clear. Morningstar tends to get a little current as its less protected, doesn't usually get big waves or anything but the water tends to be less clear because of the sand getting stirred around. Emerald has some natural shade, Morningstar doesn't. Emerald has palapas you can rent a spot under. Morningstar has umbrellas, which you can rent. Both have chairs. Both have restuarants and restrooms. Both also have watersports booths with some unmotorized things like kayaks.

If you wanted to head to St. John, the northshore beaches are easiest for a cruise person day tripping over to the island. For example Hawksnest, Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Bay, Caneel Bay. You could pack a picnic lunch and hike the Lind Point Trail from right in Cruz Bay (where the ferry dock is located, the trail is behind the National Park Visitor Center, just a short walk from the ferry dock). The Lind Point Trail goes to Soloman Beach and then to Honeymoon and then to Caneel Bay from there you could take a taxi back to Cruz Bay or hike back. At Caneel Bay there is a restaurant, bar, restrooms. There are no amenities at Soloman and Honeymoon - just beautiful beach and usually sparsely populated since they are only accessiable by trail or boat.

So all good choices. :) You could check a beach guide for each island if you wanted to check out photos and more information, try http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=st.+thomas+beach+guide&fr=yfp-t-305&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8.

--Islander

Are there any problems in trying to go to St. Johns if we are docked from 11 to 7? I'm disappointed that we are arriving so late, but really would like to go to Trunk Bay....just nervous about attempting to do it on our own.

Thanks!!

Thanks for all the info. Does Trunk Bay have a restaurant/bar that opens around 9:00?

What do you think about the Ritz Carlton resort? We have been to Megan's Bay and Sapphire Beach and would like to do something different this time.

Barb

I have been to Sapphire Beach twice. Love it!!! Great snorkeling.

Coki beach once ~ nice beach

Magens Bay once ~ Horrible Beach!!! I would never go back.

With that said,

I am now interested in going to another beach.

We love snorkeling.

Not sure if Emerald, Cowpet Bay, MorningStar Beach, Lindquist Beach has the best snorkeling spots.

Can suggest another beach.

My vote for best beach would be Sapphire. I've been to Coki and Magens and I just don't think they compare to Sapphire in terms of snorkeling and view.

I agree!

I have been to Sapphire Beach twice. Love it!!! Great snorkeling.

Coki beach once ~ nice beach

Magens Bay once ~ Horrible Beach!!! I would never go back.

With that said,

I am now interested in going to another beach.

We love snorkeling.

Not sure if Emerald, Cowpet Bay, MorningStar Beach, Lindquist Beach has the best snorkeling spots.

Can suggest another beach.

I agree!

I can't comment on the best snorkeling beach but I totally disagree with Megans being a nicer beach than Coki. The piles of garbage surrounding the beach were terrible. I haven't been to Megans in a while but I remember the snorkeling being bad. It's more beautiful at a distance than up close.

I don't know about the snorkeling at Emerald but it's a beautiful beach, close to Crown bay and definitely worth spending a day at for swimming. The water does drop off quickly.

Who said Megan's Bay was nicer than Coki? ? ? :cool:..:rolleyes:..:confused:

Not me.

If you think Coki is dirty don't even think about visiting Megans Bay.

Total Trash along the Shore line!!!!

Turned me off completely.

Plus, not one single fish to be found.

Not a snorkeling spot, that's for sure.

We found Coki to be a whole lot cleaner.

Did have a nice Snorkeling spot over to the right.

Very crowded beach as well.

We absolutely love Sapphire.

But would like a change this year.

This beach is clean, staff is pleasant.

Abundance of fish and wild life.

Quiet, peaceful, with breath-taking view.

Anyway, did some research and found the Secret Harbor is an excellent beach to visit.

Great for snorkeling.

I can't comment on the best snorkeling beach but

I totally disagree with Megans being a nicer beach than Coki.

The piles of garbage surrounding the beach were terrible. I haven't been to Megans in a while but I remember the snorkeling being bad. It's more beautiful at a distance than up close.

Who said Megan's Bay was nicer than Coki? ? ? :cool:..:rolleyes:..:confused:

Not me.

If you think Coki is dirty don't even think about visiting Megans Bay.

Total Trash along the Shore line!!!!

Turned me off completely.

Plus, not one single fish to be found.

Not a snorkeling spot, that's for sure.

We found Coki to be a whole lot cleaner.

Did have a nice Snorkeling spot over to the right.

Very crowded beach as well.

We absolutely love Sapphire.

But would like a change this year.

This beach is clean, staff is pleasant.

Abundance of fish and wild life.

Quiet, peaceful, with breath-taking view.

Anyway, did some research and found the Secret Harbor is an excellent beach to visit.

Great for snorkeling.

Sorry, I reversed the two but either way there both dirty to say the least but Coki does have the fish. I really think the beach's have to many people visiting & no maintenance. What I couldn't understand is Coki had garbage piled up from previous hurricane damage & they just leave it lying there.

Oh well, Crown bay beats them both & it's walking distance from the ship, it's free, it has shade & not many people.

Oh well, Crown bay beats them both & it's walking distance from the ship, it's free, it has shade & not many people.

I haven't read anything about Crown Bay.

Guess it's an unknown beach.

I haven't read anything about Crown Bay.

Guess it's an unknown beach.

Crown Bay is where the Princess ships dock. It's not a beach... I think what was meant was that Emerald Beach was NEAR Crown Bay....

Crown Bay is where the Princess ships dock. It's not a beach... I think what was meant was that Emerald Beach was NEAR Crown Bay....

You're right, I meant to say Emerald beach.

Thanks

If you want a relaxed day at the beach with no hassles go to Emerald Beach. There is a restaurant and bar on the beach. You can rent chairs, water sports stuff etc. Iguanas wander around, COOL the beach is beautiful There's even a convenience store right on the beach. Rent a chair and relax all day. Taxi's are waiting outside to take you back to ship. The water is a bit deep though you can stand but it's not for little children. Many angel fish-beautiful!!

Sounds awesome!!

How are the prices at the bar/restaurant? We were going to do either St. John or Magen's Bay, but now we're looking to save $$$. I'd rather save on cabs and admission and spend on drinks, lol!

Also, anbody know a place close to Crown Bay that sells beer? I'd love to take a six pack or 2 from each island.

Finally, is Emerald Beach a bay or is it on the open sea?

Thanks for all help,

Freddie

Sounds awesome!!

How are the prices at the bar/restaurant? We were going to do either St. John or Magen's Bay, but now we're looking to save $$$. I'd rather save on cabs and admission and spend on drinks, lol!

Also, anbody know a place close to Crown Bay that sells beer? I'd love to take a six pack or 2 from each island.

Finally, is Emerald Beach a bay or is it on the open sea?

Thanks for all help,

Freddie

I didn't buy anything at Emerald beach so I don't know the prices but there is a little shopping center located 1 block from Crown bay for beer purchases (It's a 5 minute walk from the ship.) & a market right on the main road as you walk to town maybe 10 minutes away..

Emerald beach is just over the hill as you look left from the docking area. It's beach is a somewhat protected bay. I didn't see much in the way of waves the day I was there.