bad reviews on pacific sun

harmony71

Well - all this discussion doesn't matter much anyway. I understand that the Sun is going to be based out of Fremantle in the future

The West Australians won't notice anything!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Barry

The only trouble with the review in question is that it did not go far enough. The service, food, and cabins on the Pacific Sun were appalling. This outdated, garishly decorated ship had the layout of a rabbit warren. I could have forgiven this aspect because I had not expected a high-end cruise. However, the food was inedible, the line-ups for the buffet lunches inexcusable, the jostling for tables a nightmare, and the food greasy slop.

I found the food on our Pacific Sun cruise last year to be quite edible. I couldn't find the greasy slop in the buffet, but I did find some nice salad. You did find the salad bar? Oh, as for the queues, I found that by eating early there were no problems. You could also eat your lunch in the restaurant.

The bed linen and towels were thin and grey, occasionally stained, and well past their use-by date. Our surly cabin stewardess did not provide clean glasses, ice, or new tissues. We had to chase all these items up on a daily basis.

That doesn't sound like any of the cabin stewards I have met over the years. Did you ever offer her a smile? Or chat to her? If you were always in a grumpy mood then I can't blame the staff for appearing surly around you.

Next time you should try the Queen Mary 2. Though a friend who recently returned from a Caribbean cruise on her told me there were a lot of whinging yanks on board who found fault with absolutely everything. ;-)

Wow i was shocked to hear such bad reviews and sad to hear that some had terrible cruises, we got off our 2nd pac sun cruise a week ago and now ready to book again, I have a young family and find cruising the most simple and easy way to travel and have found p&o fantastic. We had a huge screw up on the recent cruise with my son being allowed out of the kids club and he went buying photos, all without any privaledges and at 8.30 at night. When we found out we hit the roof, the staff were so apologetic and the whole situtation was handled excelent. refunds were organised and though one staff member was rude the rest of the staff were great! and moving on from that we had a fantastic trip. Yes the ship is old but it is the cleanest thing i have seen, everything is scrubbed and neat, staff are A++++ and food great. If there are going to be issues its probably going to happen to my family as i have 2 special needs children...i suppose some people just cant be pleased!

Don’t you mean that the Volendam is a four star ship!,

at lest on the Pacific Sun, the sheets get changed often, not like on the Volendam, when the sheets only got changed maybe once / twice in 17 days!!,

and that there is a lot more to do on the Pacific Sun competed to the Volendam (we came off the Volendam on the 5 January 09)

I wouldn't give the Volendam more than 3 1/2 stars, our toilets stopped working 3 times (not just our cabin) the buffet hours were inconsistent some nights open for 1 1/2 hrs other 2 1/2 hrs, the tables weren't cleared quickly (although I think they have low staff numbers) the kids named the kids club from Club HAL to Club HELL they didn't want to go but on P&O they loved it, we also found the kids club staff very rude and dissinterested. Our sheets were not changed regularly either, we had to ask for soap when we ran out. The majority of the staff were excellent with a few that shouldn't be in that industry. The rest of the HAL fleet might be 5 star but no way the Volendam is.

Don’t you mean that the Volendam is a four star ship!,

at lest on the Pacific Sun, the sheets get changed often, not like on the Volendam, when the sheets only got changed maybe once / twice in 17 days!!,

and that there is a lot more to do on the Pacific Sun competed to the Volendam (we came off the Volendam on the 5 January 09)

I wouldn't give the Volendam more than 3 1/2 stars, our toilets stopped working 3 times (not just our cabin) the buffet hours were inconsistent some nights open for 1 1/2 hrs other 2 1/2 hrs, the tables weren't cleared quickly (although I think they have low staff numbers) the kids named the kids club from Club HAL to Club HELL they didn't want to go but on P&O they loved it, we also found the kids club staff very rude and dissinterested. Our sheets were not changed regularly either, we had to ask for soap when we ran out. The majority of the staff were excellent with a few that shouldn't be in that industry. The rest of the HAL fleet might be 5 star but no way the Volendam is.

Been on many cruises and heard lots of complaints, but the "sheets" take the cake, and I can't believe you had to ask for "soap" what an awful cruise you must have had!

• 1 month later...

Well I am pleased that P&O Australia now have your choice Dining across the board all their Cruise Ships Now.I know it is three months on since I got back from the Christmas Cruise N844 but the thing that sent me off to the travel agent to book a Contiki Asia Trip for this Christmas the first week back was how the people on Pacific Sun put me on a table with a bunch of older people I have nothing in common with and the lack of young people which is notable on the Brisbane Departures.That Aside I was happy with my cruise and would consider going again

I've read Steve Jones' website. In my opinion, he possibly has reason to be upset that passengers weren't advised before they boarded the ship that the itinerary would have to be changed. On the other hand, I can't help thinking that anyone with common sense would realise that if you only have six days for a cruise when the itinerary always takes seven, that something has to be missed out. Vila was the furtherest away port, so I can see why it had to be missed. I don't know if there was a reason they went to Devine Island instead of Lifou, and it is unfortunate that their visit to Devine Island had problems, mainly due to the weather. :):)

Evon.

Well - all this discussion doesn't matter much anyway. I understand that the Sun is going to be based out of Fremantle in the future

The West Australians won't notice anything!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Barry

I'd love to know that this comment means

Well I am pleased that P&O Australia now have your choice Dining across the board all their Cruise Ships Now.I know it is three months on since I got back from the Christmas Cruise N844 but the thing that sent me off to the travel agent to book a Contiki Asia Trip for this Christmas the first week back was how the people on Pacific Sun put me on a table with a bunch of older people I have nothing in common with and the lack of young people which is notable on the Brisbane Departures.That Aside I was happy with my cruise and would consider going again

Lola Bunny

I am not quite sure how you would expect P & O would know what interests you have that allow them to place you with other people at dinner who have a common interest with you ??:):)

But, it does appear to me that there indeed are different "categories" of people travelling on P & O Cruises - those categories being very much age related. HOWEVER - the same situation applies to other things. EG There are bus tours through Europe that are obviously related to different age groups. The organisers of one do, to a certain extent, attempt to make it clear who they are aiming their tours at (ie I think one clearly says that it is aimed at 20-35 year olds)

But, it seems to me that, here in Australia, cruise passengers fall into 3 quite distinct categories - firstly the "singles" crowd, secondly the married (with 2.3 children and a mortgage crowd) and thirdly the retired "old farts" crowd (to whom I belong ;))

Our problem is that we all do not know who will be the prevalent group on any cruise that we take - EXCEPT for our brains. So - for me, I would avoid short cruises, especially during school holidays - and ESPECIALLY cruises to "nowhere" for 3 nights out of Sydney ;)

I recommend that you don't take any cruises longer than (say 21 days) on a cruiseship that is doing a world cruise ;)

Barry

Oops, I've booked THAT cruise. I'm in your 3rd category Barry (not retired, though I wish) Didn't think re the 1st category going for an affordable 3 day party to nowhere. Ah well, still looking forward to it, taking 2 of the grandchildren (10 & 13) while we are still young enough to have fun with them (and while they are still young enough to let us) There are 12 of us 50 somethings booked for May '10 for 10 nights. Just booked today and am so excited, had to tell all you happy cruisers out there.

Congratulations on booking your cruise. We have been on several cruises and our preference is for the longer ones as we find the seven day ones far too short. You should find a ten-nighter a good introduction to cruising, and it will be great fun with a group of friends. :)

Cheers,

Evon.

Thank you Evon, I am hoping to build up to longer and more frequent cruising. Actually had my first cruise in Dec '08 on Pacific Dawn and had a GREAT time. Have not stopped thinking about it since and was excited to gather together the friends to do it again. Same ship this time but will eventually try others. I agree, you need a bit longer on board. Just get into the groove and it's time to get off.

Interesting that, but when someone bags out something completely on "POST NUMBER 1" it makes me suspicious of their motives.

I'll be going on the Pac Sun is a few weeks, and I know without doubt it'll be a great cruise ... as other people have said, it's all in your attitude to things :D

Cheers,

Moira

Interesting that, but when someone bags out something completely on "POST NUMBER 1" it makes me suspicious of their motives.

Moira

Hi Moira,

I agree. I also think they lose credibility when they find fault with everything. Surely there was something that was good. :(

Evon.

I cruised on the Sun for the first time last Oct and loved it. Had a great time. The atmosphere was terrific, the staff attentive and our room clean and tidy at the end of each day.

Sure as heck have been on worse where there is no atmosphere on board (SSLibra!)

Well having just returned from our first ever cruise last Saturday, out of Brisbane with 2 other families to the ports of Noumea, Lifou and Vila - I can only speak highly of the Pacific Sun and its crew. Our 7 day 'Week Fantastique' N909, was (as promised) just fantastic!

We had a great time and both the standard of food and the service on board were great.

We were in a 4 berth outside cabin (U85) which is located mid ships, and excellent in terms of access to stairs, the lifts, the laundrette and all the main dining and entertainment venues on the ship.

Drink prices were cheaper than expected ($2 for can of soft drink, $1.95 for large glass of oj; $7.75 for large cocktails), we had a bottle of champagne with dinner each night for $22 and then took the remainder of the bottle and glasses along to the Atlantic Lounge to take in the shows. Our friends celebrated their wedding anniversary on board and we organised for balloons to be stuck to their cabin door - and also balloons and a yummy mud cake for dinner that night (cost us $10 for the cake which actually fed all 12 of us).

Suggestion for all newbies, is to eat once or twice in the Lido Buffet dining room just to give it a go - then the rest of your meals in the Burgundy or Bordeaux Dining rooms. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner in either of these two dining rooms and the food was fantastic! (Make sure you book a table for dinner though, they get packed out). And if you think your main meal serve is smaller than you would like, you can ask for a side of fries or baked potatoe, salad etc - don't be afraid to ask!

All the P&O operated short tours sold out on the ship before we even got into Noumea! So anyone who is thinking about taking in a tour might want to think about booking early.

We chose to do our own thing in Noumea - we just got off the ship and went over to a couple of the mini-bus operators on the wharf and negotiated a 1 hour city highlight tour for 12 people which cost us $15 person (much cheaper than the P&O tour) - then asked to be dropped at Lemon Bay Beach which was a beautiful spot for swimming and only 15 mins drive along the coast from the ship. Our kids were able to swim out safely to a pontoon moored about 50 metres off the beach - the water was clear and warm - heavenly! We spent a couple of hours there then the mini bus came and shuttled people back to the ship about 6.00pm ready for a 7.30 sailing.

Anyone who says Noumea is a dump has obviously not been beyond the main shopping district - as the coast line, beaches, bays and marinas are just lovely and all within a 10 minute drive of the wharf!

In Lifou the ship anchored in the lagoon and took passengers to the island by boat. We spent a couple of hours on the beach next to the jetty then walked to the other side of the island (about 15 min easy walk) to go snorkelling. This was the highlight of our entire cruise and cost us nothing!!! I'm not a partic good swimmer, and did not even go out of my depth, but I saw the most amazing coral and coloured fishes - You must do this if you go to Lifou! (remember to get some cheap reef shoes from Big W about $7.00 pair, - it is a coral reef island so these are needed here!)

In Vila we had opted to take the P&O organised tour to the 'Ekasup Cultural Village' - it cost $79 adult and $39 for kids up to the age of 12. (Our kids are actually 13 and 14 and we just paid kids fares, no-one questioned it!) The 2 hour tour was excellent and well worth doing to get an insight to the traditional way of life that a great number of Vanuatans still live today.

Vila was very hot and very humid within 5 mins of leaving the ship we were all drenched with perspiration! There is a market on the wharf as you disembark the ship - we found the prices there very cheap - some stalls sold Billabong boardies and t-shirts for $12-$20, a fantastic buy and much cheaper that in Vila itself. Lots of beads, bags, sarongs etc for be had for only a few dollars too.

The main shopping district of Vila is about 10 mins drive away and all uphill - much too far to walk! There are heaps of taxis just waiting to pick you up from the wharf - cost is about $3.00 per person into Vila. The main street left a lot to be desired but some good prices in a couple of the duty free shops to be had and another market on the waterfront worth visiting. Alcohol was a good price but was matched on board by P&O - so save yourself the hassle and buy it on the ship! In fact the day after leaving Vila, there was a sale of liquor and alcohol on board that was cheaper than people had paid in Vila the day before. So hold off your purchases till then!

The Pacific Sun crew were all great - the officers and entertainers tended to be English/Irish, Aussies or NZ - while the waiters, cabin stewards etc were all from the Phillippines. Look out for David Pepper (Davo) who is the Cruise Director, a really nice guy and a heap of fun. Some of the crew had only just come on board for an 8 month stint - and were very friendly and could not do enough for you.

Try your luck at bingo - they play 5 games each day between 4pm-5pm, and every day the winnings increase so by the last day the Atlantis Lounge was packed out and the last game was worth $6,500! (unfortunately I didn't win it).

Am sure anyone going on a cruise on the Pacific Sun over the next few weeks with the crew we had is bound to have a great time.

Enjoy!!!!:)

Glad you had a lovely time Bebbos. Thanks for all the great up to date tips.

Only 23 sleeps until it is my turn. We are also going to Mystery Island and Champagne Bay so my reef shoes and snorkelling gear are all ready to go! ..... :D

Cheers,

Moira

I cruised on the Sun for the first time last Oct and loved it. Had a great time. The atmosphere was terrific, the staff attentive and our room clean and tidy at the end of each day.

Thanks for the positive remarks Kazza & others. Had read all the negative reports on the Pacific Sun, on the face of it those on the “lemon cruise” do have cause for complaint. We are going on Pacific Sun next month – a spur of the moment booking, good deal. All I will have to compare it to is our honeymoon cruise eons ago, and a month’s cruise on Celebrity Millennium three years ago. Obviously nothing would compare with the former, the latter was a five star ship and I would not expect it to be the same as Pac Sun, a three star. (Mind you, on our Celebrity cruise to South America there was a near riot by some passengers because we missed two ports.)

DH & I are new to cruising but quite well travelled. [some 96 countries so far, and this cruise (if we make the ports) will take me closer to the magic 100. DH is well over that target.] A key attraction of the trip, in fact, is the chance to visit two new countries. The thing is, you always face disappointments when you travel - places you don’t get to see, food poisoning, lost luggage, rip-offs, endless possibilities for things to go wrong. So we’ll be approaching our cruise with the expectation and hope that it will go well, but aware from past experiences that this isn’t always necessarily the case.

Archived