Orphanages

BonnieVA

There are many changes happening right now with children/orphanages and adoptions in Guatemala. Currently, there are no new adoptions allowed and many orphanages are closing or over filled.

Is there a particular reason why you want to visit an orphanage? (just curious if theres another way to see what you want vs. just seeing an orphanage)

Is there a particular reason why you want to visit an orphanage? (just curious if theres another way to see what you want vs. just seeing an orphanage)

We just want to have our boys experience what life is like for some kids around the world. And, since we have 4 kids, we thought it might be neat for our boys to get to meet & play with ... maybe even entertain?? ... some of the kids. And I wouldn't mind lending a hand by holding some of the youngest kids. I know there are schools that tours visit but, since the orphanages are not visited, we wanted to spread some attention/goods to them rather than to one of the often-frequented schools.

Seems Gus is a popular guy. Could you email and ask him if thats something that is possible?

I think its great you want the kids to learn about other places.

I can ask around on my Guatemalan adoption forums if anyone knows of a good place. What port will you be stopping at?

(our youngest child was adopted from Guatemala and we really enjoyed seeing parts of her country on our 3 trips there).

Seems Gus is a popular guy. Could you email and ask him if thats something that is possible?

I think its great you want the kids to learn about other places.

I can ask around on my Guatemalan adoption forums if anyone knows of a good place. What port will you be stopping at?

(our youngest child was adopted from Guatemala and we really enjoyed seeing parts of her country on our 3 trips there).

We'll be at Santo Tomas De Castilla. I think there's an orphange w/ little ones in a nearby town (can't remember its name). I googled to find orphanages & found that the crew of the NCL Sun visited a nearby orphanage a couple yrs ago. I think it was called La Esperanza.

You mentioned that no adoptions are happening in Guat right now. Is that just foreign adoptions or all? That's very sad. I know there's been controversy about the source of some of the babies & accusations made. I hope they're not true but I aslo feel bad for all those children w/ no hope for adoption ... those who are legitimately in the orphanage & could use a good home.

How long ago did you adopt?

Guatemala is not allowing any new adoptions to take place and is still trying to finish the ones that were in process as of last year. They are trying to implement a new process but it hasnt been revealed yet and even after it is the US has to agree to let Guatemalan adoptions to return to the US again. So it could take at least another year, nobody knows.

Our dd is 18 months. She came home at 8months old right after Easter last year. :)

Archived