San Diego, pier check-in questions

Matsonbrat

:confused:

Know the pier and area , but never had a cruise out of there.

What is the skinny on arrival via cab at the pier? We were wondering if we can pull the two bags to drop off area or do we have to hire porters? If porters, what is the fee and/or tip. Length of average time for check-in also requested as we are elderly.

Thanks

I've only sailed out of the port once, but we used a porter. I'm not sure where you would take your bags moving them yourself.

Anyway, for us it was easier to just have the porter take care of them right where the cab let us out. We tip $2.00 per bag.

Happy sailing,

Dave

I just sailed out of San Diego a couple weeks ago, so....

You can take a cab right up to the drop off area. Just tell them you are going to the cruise terminal, and they will get in line with the other cabs and fairly quickly make their way in through the gate to the cab area.

There will be a porter nearby, or one you can easily flag down, who will tag your bags and take them for you. I didn't see any place specific inside the terminal for lots of luggage, everyone on both lines was letting the porters take them outside. We tipped our guy $10 dollars, but I tend to tip heavy. I'd say the suggestion of 2xbag is fair :)

From the point we entered the door to the terminal building, until we were at a check in stall, was probably less than 15 minutes. We were on the ship in less than 30 from entering the building. It's all streamlined and there are plenty of people in there to help you if you have mobility issues and there are a lot of chairs if you need to rest. Additionally, there is an easily accessible elevator instead of stairs to get to the gangway should you need it.

We sailed HAL, in port at the same time was a Carnival ship. I would imagine the process works the same, no matter who you sail.

Have a wonderful trip!!!

San Diego is a really easy terminal. We sail from there frequently, and I will sail from there again in Feb. Let the porters take your luggage for you...We usually tip 10.00 for the lot of our luggage. I know in Port Canaveral they have signs up discouraging you from tipping, bc they make such a good wage there. Never seen that anywhere else though. Of course we still tip them, thats what we are trained to do lol

Have a wonderful cruise.

:)

Now that was fast and greatly appreciated from all of you. We have two bags only, so no big deal obviously. I can remember hours in line at one of the embarcation ports here or overseas for the Med. cruise.

After ten passenger ships since 1937, including one troop ship, we probably making the last and 6th cruise on occasion of our 50th.

Will miss the briny smells and the under way rolls.

San Diego is a really easy terminal. We sail from there frequently, and I will sail from there again in Feb. Let the porters take your luggage for you...We usually tip 10.00 for the lot of our luggage. I know in Port Canaveral they have signs up discouraging you from tipping, bc they make such a good wage there. Never seen that anywhere else though. Of course we still tip them, thats what we are trained to do lol

Have a wonderful cruise.

I have never seen signs in San Diego discouraging you from tipping but I did offer a porter in San Diego a $3.00 tip one time (for just one suitcase) and he said "you don't have to do that" but I shoved the money in his hand and I didn't get it back;):D. It was okay with me, I just wanted to get on the ship and get to my cabin.

:)

Now that was fast and greatly appreciated from all of you. We have two bags only, so no big deal obviously. I can remember hours in line at one of the embarcation ports here or overseas for the Med. cruise.

After ten passenger ships since 1937, including one troop ship, we probably making the last and 6th cruise on occasion of our 50th.

Will miss the briny smells and the under way rolls.

As you know embarcation at the port in San Diego is pretty easy. The only time I had a problem was a couple of years ago when the Zaandam and some Carnival ship were in port together. The security personnel didn't seem to know what was going on and there was a huge line (and I mean huge) but finally someone came out of the terminal to direct Zaandam passengers to another, oh so much shorter line and from there I was on the ship within less than 20 minutes.

Do have a wonderful cruise, and many congratulations on your 50th anniversary.

Valerie:)

Archived