Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

Marle, Of course, if it doesn't work for you, you obviously should not buy it.

You might describe the phone/computer I-phones as microscopic but I hardly describe 8.9" as microscopic. That's not the word that comes to mind for me.

Happily for me, it works just fine. Not everything on earth is meant to work for everyone and doesn't need to. You don't need to like it. :)

Hope you find one that YOU like.

I thought it was really cute though! I have both an itouch and a Blackberry storm, so I understand microscopic. :D I think it is probably because I am used to such a large laptop. Possibly given time, I'd get used to it. Am still in the hunt though because schelping something a little smaller than this one on my travels (i've got six weeks of various travels coming up) would be much better!

Yes, I have in my Control Panel what is called "Wireless Setup Network Wizard" I would have thought I already had this set up.:confused: So if I follow thru this and give it a name (which I have never done) it will tell me what my password was?
No, I looked at that, and that's for setting up an entirely new network, or adding to one where you already know the security key.

Follow richwmn's steps that he gave you back in post #258 to first find out your default gateway (router) IP address and then log onto it by typing that address into your browser. On mine I see a number of tabs, one of which is Wireless. Click on that and you should see your key.

Edit: better yet, first just TRY 192.168.1.1 in your browser address and see what you get!

No, I looked at that, and that's for setting up an entirely new network, or adding to one where you already know the security key.

Follow richwmn's steps that he gave you back in post #258 to first find out your default gateway (router) IP address and then log onto it by typing that address into your browser. On mine I see a number of tabs, one of which is Wireless. Click on that and you should see your key.

Edit: better yet, first just TRY 192.168.1.1 in your browser address and see what you get!

OK I am showing my blonde today or it is the tequila catching up with me but just where is my browser address:confused: I am just way confused. Of course I am trying to do a half dozen things today and I still need to upload pictures :eek:

OK I am showing my blonde today or it is the tequila catching up with me but just where is my browser address:confused: I am just way confused. Of course I am trying to do a half dozen things today and I still need to upload pictures :eek:

It is the area at the top. It usually shows something like

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=18283979

all you need to type in is the number you found, most likely

Rich

OK Thanks, I think I got it. It comes up as Linksys and I found the wireless security page and it has 4 security type codes key 1 key 2 etc. that has 26 numbers or letters. I have tried key one 3 times now on my internet for my IPod touch and it will not access it :confused: I even tyoed in my pass phrase which also will not work so I have no idea.

Oh well now I just hope I remember how to get to this when I do get a new laptop or I may be asking for help again :)

There's hope for me and I actually figured out to try putting 192.168.1.1 into my address box when I wanted to get back to the 'password' numbers again. :D

OK Thanks, I think I got it. It comes up as Linksys and I found the wireless security page and it has 4 security type codes key 1 key 2 etc. that has 26 numbers or letters. I have tried key one 3 times now on my internet for my IPod touch and it will not access it :confused: I even tyoed in my pass phrase which also will not work so I have no idea.

Oh well now I just hope I remember how to get to this when I do get a new laptop or I may be asking for help again :)

You found the right page. Key 1 is usually the one most people use. That will be fine for any other laptops you get or when people come to visit. You might want to write it down. As far as the iPod touch. Some one asked me about that the other day. Make sure you are trying to connect to the correct wireless network. You should not be on the area that asks for the user name. It should only be asking for a password or key. The touch finally connected after he tried for a few times and he never did tell me what the final trick was.

Rich

Rich, I am pretty sure I was in the right one because only three possible networks pop up two have someone else's name and the other says linksys so I am pretty sure that is mine. When you go to it it even shows my IP address and Router number that I just found but still will not let me access it :confused:

Rich, I am pretty sure I was in the right one because only three possible networks pop up two have someone else's name and the other says linksys so I am pretty sure that is mine. When you go to it it even shows my IP address and Router number that I just found but still will not let me access it :confused:

I checked the ITouch problem on some tech forums and found that this have been an ongoing problem for a year and a half. The iTouch appears to have problems with 128bit encryption and wpa2. It is possible that 64bit and wpa work. These solutions have also been posted as working for some people.

when you enter the password (wep key) use upper CASE for the letters.

another solution -

1)go to settings on your touch

2)tap wi-fi

3)then turn off wi-fi

4)press home button

5)now hold sleep button on the top of your touch for about 3 sec

6)once it asks to shut down, allow it to do so

7)turn it back on(same way as off)

8)go back into settings

9)go to wi-fi and turn it on

10)tap you network and your all set

I do not have an iTouch and can not verify these solutions.

Rich

I have followed this post for the last several days and have had a blast reading it all!! It has been quite entertaining! It also made me realize that I MUST get one of these little guys!! After doing much research, I have decided on the ASUS eee 1000HE. It is a ten inch and it also has bluetooth capabilities. It hasn't begun shipping yet (I ordered from Amazon) but I can't wait. I have never taken my laptop on past cruises because it was too bulky, but have always missed it. When we go to Alaska in Sept it will be along.

So I just wanted to say thanks for helping me realize that I can't live without this new gadget!! I hope I will enjoy it as much as you all seem too.

I have followed this post for the last several days and have had a blast reading it all!! It has been quite entertaining! It also made me realize that I MUST get one of these little guys!! After doing much research, I have decided on the ASUS eee 1000HE. It is a ten inch and it also has bluetooth capabilities. It hasn't begun shipping yet (I ordered from Amazon) but I can't wait. I have never taken my laptop on past cruises because it was too bulky, but have always missed it. When we go to Alaska in Sept it will be along.

So I just wanted to say thanks for helping me realize that I can't live without this new gadget!! I hope I will enjoy it as much as you all seem too.

After some research, I also decided on the ASUS eee 1000HE, but am not a "pre-order" type of person. Could you please come back after it ships (cannot seem to get an availability date anywhere!) and let us know how you like it? Thank you.

After some research, I also decided on the ASUS eee 1000HE, but am not a "pre-order" type of person. Could you please come back after it ships (cannot seem to get an availability date anywhere!) and let us know how you like it? Thank you.

According to Amazon, it should ship anytime before March 18. I'll let you know when I get it. It seems like so far away. And patience is not my strongest gift!!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only kid waiting for the big day to arrive:

Shipping estimate: March 12, 2009 - March 17, 2009

* 1 of: ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10-Inch Netbook (1.66 GHz Intel Atom N280 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, 10 GB E-Storage, Bluetooth, XP Home, 6 Cell Batte

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

I know what it says, but the email gets a good going over every morning to see if there is a "just shipped" notice in there somewhere.

The only negative thing on the specs is the 3 or 3.2 pound weight. I hope that isn't a real drawback.

Pete

The easiest way would be to copy and paste. So open your word document, highlight the text here you want to save, right click with your mouse, choose copy. Go to the word document, right click and choose paste. Do that for all the material you want to save. Some forums, like Invison, allow for you to download a thread, but then you have to download the whole thing and edit out what you don't want. I don't think VB gives that option.

A bit off topic, but if I want to save some of the tech stuff in this thread to a word document, how would I do that?

Go to each section that you wish to save and highlight it with the mouse (hold down the left mouse button while moving the cursor over the text). Then click on edit, then copy (or hold down the ctrl key and touch the c key).

Move to your open text document (word, wordpad, office writer etc) and click on edit, then paste (or hold down the ctrl key and touch the v key).

Repeat as necessary to copy everything you want.

Rich

Cross posted with Rich.:)

On another note, my husband is on the phone ordering me the new Dell Inspirion 12 in cherry red. :) I would have chosen an Acer 10 but can't get it here. Dell says 15 days. If so, I would have it just before I leave for the Bahamas. We'll see. Dell has been notoriously slow lately. Still at 3 lbs or so, it will be a lot lighter to travel with than the Acer 18.4 that I have!

A bit off topic, but if I want to save some of the tech stuff in this thread to a word document, how would I do that?

The easiest way would be to copy and paste. ...

Go to each section that you wish to save and highlight it with the mouse ...

Thanks, guys. I knew the copy and paste way, but I thought may be there was an easier way. Thanks for answering.

Here's another method that I often use on a ship to be able to read CC threads off line with NO copy-and-pasting: go to the top of the first thread page and pull down on Thread Tools to Show Printable Version. Click on "Show 40 posts from this thread on one page". Step through the thread and save each page of 40 as an .html file with a different name. (Do NOT save them as .php files!) These .html files can then be opened later with Word for off-line reading. Or converted to .doc if you want, but that's not really necessary.

If you don't want the entire thread, you can just save what you want to .html files. Or you could print the page(s) and save the paper copy in a notebook!

I've saved entire threads to Word in the past ... can't remember how!!!

Is all this tech stuff good for my aging brain?

Yes!:D I promise it is.

Yesterday they premiered a fantastic 10" Dell on QVC, but it was much more money than the ones we're looking at. Comes in all colors and looks amazing! Has a 10.1 screen, 1 GBRAM and 160 GB HD. They said the keyboard is close to full size! Still, lot more $$ ($560), but available on EZ pay. Weighs 2.86 lbs. Only a 3 cell battery with a promise of 4 hr life. Just another nice netbook to consider. Personally, I'm a Dell fan.

Archived