Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

I ordered the case on the phone this am, and they had it ready for me to pick up at Best Buy when I went there. Acer is now resting comfortably inside the case. It is a perfect fit. Thanks again Sail for starting this thread.

I'm so glad it all worked out so well for you. I think the case perfect for a fair price.

Now, I'm eager to see how well the Acer works for me on Eurodam. Our cabin should be a hotspot. I am hoping. :)

I have just bought Asus 900 $229.00 Target its great & comes Skype ready .which enables me to phone home for 8 cents a minute + HAL pc minute charge. I have done this on previous cruises with my old lap top. plus I book cars & tours prior to us arriving in port.Skype also enables you to talk PC to PC free and use a webcam.

Jean

Finally!! I got my Asus 1000HE today. It left the warehouse on March 2, and arrived on March 12. I was getting worried since the shipment tracking button had disappeared from the Amazon page. Next time I'll pay the extra for quicker delivery!

My USB wireless mouse plugged in and is working great.

My home wireless network was detected and I'm on it now.

I added the extra ram memory to up it upto 2.

The keyboard is about 90% normal size and doesn't seem to be a problem.

It has a built in camera for some reason, but it's disabled for now.

Seems to be as advertised. I'm excited and ready to cruise!!

Pete:):cool:

You will love your new toy. The built-in camera is useful if you use Skype. Check it out on line. It's an internet phone service that sends a video of you - you get a video of the person you call - ergo a video phone. And it's free if you go computer to computer; small fee if you go computer to phone. Check it out http://www.skype.com

Don

I just bought a case at Best Buy for my Acer 10.1" and had a tough time finding something to fit that I liked. I ended up with an "Incase" brand that was really made for a small Mac notebook. It's more of a sleeve than a case, neoprene with faux fur inside. Whoo hoo!. I can just fit my netbook, charger and mouse inside. It wasn't cheap, but the cases Sail referred to were for the 8.9". I also bought a skin for the top, which eliminated the smudges and fingerprints. I used the protective adhesive sheet that comes on the top as a guide and cut a larger skin to size. Now it's all "tricked out" and different from all the other netbooks on board. :D

Lisa, if you decide on the Dell, I think you will really like it. I find the keys are a really good size, and the computer is so light to carry around. It's not a cruise, but there's something to be said for sitting on a balcony at 8 a..m in shorts, having coffee, watching a tropical monsoon :D and typing on this little guy!

It is definitely better in the Bahamas.:D

Lisa, if you decide on the Dell, I think you will really like it. I find the keys are a really good size, and the computer is so light to carry around. It's not a cruise, but there's something to be said for sitting on a balcony at 8 a..m in shorts, having coffee, watching a tropical monsoon :D and typing on this little guy!

It is definitely better in the Bahamas.:D

marle, tell me about the Dell when you get a chance. I'm a huge Dell fan, DH loves his HP. So maybe when finances allow, I'll buy a Dell and give him my HP Mini! He's been eyeing it.

We went over to Nantucket this week to check on things, and rather than drag my traditional laptop along, I brought my mini. It was awesome. I used it on the boat, used it at home over there - they are so great for travel.

I have to say a huge 'THANK YOU" to all who posted on this thread. I have read and read until my eyesight went blurry. You have solved a very big problem for me. My husband becomes a senior very very soon and I was at a loss as to what to get him for his special birthday ... now I know!!!! I made a quick phone call to my son (our computer techie) and gave him a heads up about what I want and have him doing the research on the best place for me to buy. Without this thread, I would still be at a loss of what to do ... and this gift also is like giving myself a present ... a win, win situation!!!!!!

I've been away from this thread for a while. Glad it's still running.

For those of you who installed 2 GB ram--did it make much difference? I'm going to pre-order an Asus 100HE & am wondering if it's worth it to get more memory.

Thanks.

For those of you who installed 2 GB ram--did it make much difference? I'm going to pre-order an Asus 100HE & am wondering if it's worth it to get more memory.
It depends on how you'll be using it. For just emailing and web browsing you probably wouldn't notice much (if any) difference.

I have to say a huge 'THANK YOU" to all who posted on this thread. I have read and read until my eyesight went blurry. You have solved a very big problem for me. My husband becomes a senior very very soon and I was at a loss as to what to get him for his special birthday ... now I know!!!! ........

He will love it!!! For my husband's retirement and a very special birthday I got him a laptop. He's not a techie at all and even when I gave it to him, he looked at me as if I'd handed him a cow.

Took him a while, but he LOVES it and I've never regretted it for a minute.

He will love it!!! For my husband's retirement and a very special birthday I got him a laptop. He's not a techie at all and even when I gave it to him, he looked at me as if I'd handed him a cow.

Took him a while, but he LOVES it and I've never regretted it for a minute.

I'm sure he will, Heather. My husband is comfortable using a PC, but doesn't think he would get enough use out of a laptop and has said more than once "can't see me lugging that around on vacation". He just doesn't know how small and light they have gotten. Fortunately, he is about to find out!!!!!!

It depends on how you'll be using it. For just emailing and web browsing you probably wouldn't notice much (if any) difference.

I'll also be working on 110 pg word documents. Maybe a bit of photo cropping. Copying audio books onto an Mp3 player.

For all you techies out there, I wanted to post a picture to my roll call and I noticed that my copy, and paste function on my big computer isn't working. I can't copy from a word document and paste it anywhere, can't copy pictures from webshots to CC the way I always do, and can't copy a word document and send it in an email. I tried turning off the computer and rebooting but that didn't help. Any ideas?

I've been away from this thread for a while. Glad it's still running.

Thanks.

I installed the extra RAM before I used the netbook for the first time, so I can't tell you if there was a noticeable difference. But on Amazon, it was only $25 so I felt it was well worth the extra few $'s.

Hi Gang.......!

I'm sitting on my deck watching the sun go down reading Cruise Critic on my new Netbook. It's in my lap, connected to my home wireless network.

Cool little toy. Can you believe the internet is really not that old? I can hear it now........"You mean you were alive before the internet and cell phones, wow you must be really old!"

Pete

For all you techies out there, I wanted to post a picture to my roll call and I noticed that my copy, and paste function on my big computer isn't working. I can't copy from a word document and paste it anywhere, can't copy pictures from webshots to CC the way I always do, and can't copy a word document and send it in an email. I tried turning off the computer and rebooting but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Carol, I'm not a techie but I do pretty well. But I never knew you could copy from "My Pictures" into an email I just tried that and it worked! So I learned something today!:) I always did it another way.

Webshots has changed, but you should be able to copy and paste the link. Let me try ... see if it works for me.

2691985200061635310pSdhJr_th.jpgYup, it does! Just go to the picture you want to copy. On the right it says "link to this picture". Use the "post in a forum" URL address. Copy and paste into message and it should come up.

I'll also be working on 110 pg word documents. Maybe a bit of photo cropping. Copying audio books onto an Mp3 player.
In that case, buy as much RAM as that puppy will hold and your pocketbook can stand! :D:D

Carol, I'm not a techie but I do pretty well. But I never knew you could copy from "My Pictures" into an email I just tried that and it worked! So I learned something today!:) I always did it another way.

Webshots has changed, but you should be able to copy and paste the link. Let me try ... see if it works for me.

2691985200061635310pSdhJr_th.jpgYup, it does! Just go to the picture you want to copy. On the right it says "link to this picture". Use the "post in a forum" URL address. Copy and paste into message and it should come up.

In order to make the copy and paste function work in all my programs, I had to shut down the computer completely. The first time I did it, it didn't help. Then I did it a few days later and everything was up and running right again.

I wound up returning the case I bought from Best Buy and buying one from Staples made by Targus. It fits a 10.1 notebook computer too, is better padded, has a separate compartment for the computer so no scratches and a separate compartment for the mouse and charger. It also came with a shoulder strap. The case from Best Buy didn't close well at the top and didn't offer as much protection for the computer. DH picked out the new case because he felt it was made better and I think he's correct.

Archived